Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

She has got to be kidding.

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:51 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Obama Labor Secretary: People Should Use Unemployment Benefits To Start New Businesses

HILDA SOLIS: Let’s look at the past five months. On the average in those past five months, we have seen about 170,000 jobs created. And yes, economists say you have to have at least 120,000 on an average. It is not as dire as some would say. I would say that even though in the 27 months we created for 4.3 million private sector jobs — that is not devastating. That is actually something that I think is somewhat positive. Sure, we have to do more. We are focused like a laser beam to make sure that we have our training, job-training dollars working and partnerships with community colleges and employers to make sure that we find the right employees to get into those jobs that are available. We have seen a reduction from those individuals; at the beginning of this recession it was about seven applicants for one job. Now it is down to about three-to-one. We’ve got to do better and the way we do it is by incentivizing businesses. You’re absolutely right about making investments in small businesses, tax credits and brakes and allowing for UI benefits to be used so that people can start their own businesses.

Starting your own business is EXPENSIVE.  How would they pay just for the costly regulations, let alone all the other startup costs, on unemployment.  This shows the lack of any knowledge with the typical Obama appointee.

I have been dealing first hand with the reasons people do not want to start businesses in this country.

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shimamab
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM
4 moms liked this
Huh? Since when are UI benefits enough to live on let alone start a business? Maybe she's smoking some of that medical mj they've confiscated from people who need it ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't get it, people can barely afford to pay  for their housing and food on unemployment, and its only temporary.  It takes a long time to start turning a profit from a start up business.

Was she thinking the unemployed should just sell hemp jewelry on the sidewalks?

shimamab
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this
Right? I mean micro loans work in third world economies, but in America, a few extra bucks for a start up won't get you far.

Quoting matreshka:

I don't get it, people can barely afford to pay  for their housing and food on unemployment, and its only temporary.  It takes a long time to start turning a profit from a start up business.

Was she thinking the unemployed should just sell hemp jewelry on the sidewalks?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM
4 moms liked this

What's next?  Use your food stamps to start a bakery?  What a NUT.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

LMAO! Oh yeah she's a real winner.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM
3 moms liked this

She believes that people should go to malls with their checks to kick start the economy.  This is the problem with this administration! They really believe this shit!

gammie
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM
6 moms liked this
even with all the money in the world you still can't start any business with all the regulation they have on the books. You can't even sell lemonaide on your street corner.

It just shows how ignorant she is about the real world.
gsprofval
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM
2 moms liked this

She really IS out of touch. 7 applicants for one job now down to 3 applicants for one job?

Reality is more like 1000 plus applicants for one job.

mehamil1
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:45 AM

*facepalm*

Seriously? Really? If you were standing in the same room with me and said this out loud I would call your ass out on this so fucking hard. What the hell? Seriously? What the fuck are you smoking? 

This shit gets put out by BOTH FUCKING SIDES. After 9/11 Bush told people to go shopping. What the fuck was that about? Our economy is a capitalist economy. It thrives when people are buying stupid shit they don't need with money they don't have. That's how the system works and both sides say the same damn thing. The whole government sucks ass regardless of what party is in control of anything. They are all pricks. 

Use your fucking brain. Good God. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

She believes that people should go to malls with their checks to kick start the economy.  This is the problem with this administration! They really believe this shit!

mrsjonzy
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Another stupid comment by idiots. Those people are unemployed! They need to pay for food and shelter and heat. As for the jobs created most of them are temporary like those for the census or government building contracts. As for the unemployment rate, it's double what they say because people that run out of benefits aren't counted. Obama's labor secretary is just what I'd expect him to be, unrealistic for the situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)