Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In High School and College Obama was an an "Enthusiastic" user of illegal drugs

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM
  • 104 Replies
2 moms liked this

Here's the passage from his book, Dreams from My Father, where he discusses his drug use:
"I had learned not to care. I blew a few smoke rings, remembering those years. Pot had helped, and booze; maybe a little blow when you could afford it."

Also...

In his book "Dreams from my Father", Barack Obama spoke about his alcohol and drug use in high school and noted that he "drank heavily, (and) tried drugs enthusiastically."

I spent the last two years of high school in a daze, locking away the questions that life seemed insistent on imposing. I kept playing basketball, attended classed sparingly, drank beer heavily, and tried drugs enthusiastically. I discovered that it didn't make any difference if you smoked reefer in the white class mates sparkling new van, or in the dorm room with some brother you'd met down at the gym, or on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids who had dropped out of school and now spent most of their time looking for an excuse to brawl. 

Nobody asked you if your father was a fat cat executive who cheated on his wife, or some laid off joe who slapped you around whenever he bothered to come home. You might just be bored, or alone. Everybody was welcome into the club of disaffection. And if the high didn't solve whatever it was that was getting you down, it could at least help you laugh at the world's ongoing folly and see through all the hypocrisy and bullshit and cheap moralism.  

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:26 PM
6 moms liked this

If people would have actually read his book, I don't think he would be President. However, the majority voted him in 2008.  I think his Presidential Record makes a more current statement against him as President for another term.

sarebear31976
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM
5 moms liked this

this matters as much as all the crap people are saying about Romney in school.  It has no bearing on what kind of president either one of them could be.  Do you want to be judged today on what you did in high school and college?  What about 20 years from now?  Will you be the same person you are today?

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM

So was I, but I started in jr hi. Doesn't make me a bad or evil person now.

I'm more concerned with his actions as president. Some are good, some bad.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is only going to become increasingly difficult to find politicians who *haven't* used illegal substances. 

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I see what you are saying but what has Romney done lately besides flip flop?

Quoting sarebear31976:

this matters as much as all the crap people are saying about Romney in school.  It has no bearing on what kind of president either one of them could be.  Do you want to be judged today on what you did in high school and college?  What about 20 years from now?  Will you be the same person you are today?

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree. But every time I see some post bringing up one candidates past, you can expect to see me post something about the other candidates past.

Just to keep the forum Balanced. :)

Quoting sarebear31976:

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

47th in job creation? Judge him on that? I'd like to know what we can and cannot judge him on.

sarebear31976
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm having trouble figuring out what Obama's drug use in high school and Romney's flip flopping today have to do with each other.  I was just pointing out that what either one of them did 20 years ago has little to no bearing on who they are today.  People change.  

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting sarebear31976:

Sarah

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

sarebear31976
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

but it doesn't keep it balanced.  It keeps people emotional and arguing over things that don't matter.  Know what matters?  Education, the economy, jobs, the environment, the deficit, public safety....  and we are talking about Obama doing dope in the 70's.  I've seen the clothes from the 70's... I would imagine most people were doing some kind of drug ;)

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I agree. But every time I see some post bringing up one candidates past, you can expect to see me post something about the other candidates past.

Just to keep the forum Balanced. :)

Quoting sarebear31976:

Sarah

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace. ~William Ewart Gladstone

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I am just saying if we can't look at Romney's past then what are we to look at when sizing him up for the position? What does he really stand for? Everything recent in his life was been some flopping. See what I am getting at?

Quoting sarebear31976:

I'm having trouble figuring out what Obama's drug use in high school and Romney's flip flopping today have to do with each other.  I was just pointing out that what either one of them did 20 years ago has little to no bearing on who they are today.  People change.  

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting sarebear31976:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)