Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NDAA unconstitutional: Federal judge bans Obama from indefinitely detaining Americans

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM
  • 31 Replies

NDAA unconstitutional: Federal judge bans Obama from indefinitely detaining Americans

http://rt.com/usa/news/ndaa-judge-obama-forrest-295/ 

Sorry, Mr. President. A US Federal judge has clarified a decision made last month with some news sure to upset the Obama administration: the White House cannot use the NDAA to indefinitely detain American citizens. 

Judge Katherine B. Forrest has answered a request made by US President Barack Obama last month to more carefully explain a May 16 ruling made in a Southern District of New York courtroom regarding the National Defense Authorization Act. Clarifying the meaning behind her injunction, Judge Forrest confirms in an eight-page memorandum opinion this week that the NDAA’s controversial provision that permits indefinite detention cannot be used on any of America's own citizens. 

Last month Judge Forrest ruled in favor of a group of journalists and activists whom filed a suit challenging the constitutionality of Section 1021 of the NDAA, a defense spending bill signed into law by President Obama on New Year’s Eve. Specifically, Judge Forrest said in her injunction that the legislation contained elements that had a "chilling impact on First Amendment rights” and ruled that no, the government cannot imprison Americans over suspected ties with terrorists. 

In the face of what could be indeterminate military detention, due process requires more,” said the judge. 

Thank you Judge! 
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Friday
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM
5 moms liked this

Awesome. I was very disappointed that Obama signed that.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

_Kissy_
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Good news
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM
9 moms liked this

Much of what he had had reviewed by the courts has been declared unconstitutional.  Pretty sorry for someone who taught constitutional law.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Many of the things Obama and his administration is proving to be unconstitutional just like Carpy said.

It really is scary

bookmommy
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm glad. It WAS Unconstitutional.

Tell me why it is that laws don't have to pass Constitutional muster BEFORE they become laws???

mehamil1
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

You'd think. 

However, I think his puppet masters had more to do with this the Obama the constitutional law professor. That and the executive branch has a history of gaining powers during wartime and not relinquishing those powers after the war is over. 

Holding people without charging them with anything is a horrible abuse of power. 

Quoting Carpy:

Much of what he had had reviewed by the courts has been declared unconstitutional.  Pretty sorry for someone who taught constitutional law.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree! 

Quoting Carpy:

asfriend
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Have we discussed that whole "puppet masters" cliche in any detail yet?

Quoting mehamil1:

You'd think. 

However, I think his puppet masters had more to do with this the Obama the constitutional law professor. That and the executive branch has a history of gaining powers during wartime and not relinquishing those powers after the war is over. 

Holding people without charging them with anything is a horrible abuse of power. 

Quoting Carpy:

rachelrothchild
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM

GOOD

mehamil1
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Cliche this. 

Quoting asfriend:

Have we discussed that whole "puppet masters" cliche in any detail yet?

Quoting mehamil1:

You'd think. 

Quoting Carpy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)