Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Rand Paul endorses Romney.. he must know the convention is a formality at this point

Posted by   + Show Post

Rand Paul endorses Mitt Romney

at 10:29 PM ET, 06/07/2012

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has endorsed Mitt Romney’s presidential bid, throwing his weight behind the presumptive GOP nominee even as his father, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), has yet to fully terminate his White House bid.

Rand Paul made the move in an appearance on Fox News Channel’s “Hannity."

"Well, you know, my first choice had always been my father. ... He is still my first pick," Paul said, according to a rush transcript of the appearance. "But now that the nominating process is over, tonight, I am happy to announce I am supporting Governor Romney."

In a statement, Romney said that he was “honored” to receive the endorsement of Paul, a freshman lawmaker and founding member of the Senate Tea Party Caucus who is believed to be mulling his own future bid for national office.

“Senator Paul has been a leading voice in the effort to scale back the size and reach of government and promote liberty,” Romney said. “Over the past three and half years, President Obama has made government more and more of a presence in our lives, and Americans can’t afford four more years of the same failed policies. As president, I will reform the federal government and make it smaller, simpler, and smarter.”

The endorsement lends Romney further tea-party backing as he solidifies his support among the GOP faithful.

And it comes as Paul’s father technically remains a candidate in the White House race, although Romney has already clinched the 1,144 delegates necessary to win the nomination.

The elder Paul announced last month that he would suspend his active campaign operation and instead continue his pursuit of delegates through the second- and third-round stages of the nominating process in the states.

While Ron Paul has twice fallen short of clinching the GOP nod, his campaign – which has drawn the enthusiastic support of libertarian-leaning Republicans as well as some anti-war Democrats -- has been viewed in part as an effort to lay the groundwork for a potential bid by his son down the line.

And Ron Paul’s supporters remain intent on making a significant showing at this summer’s Republican National Convention in Tampa, although it remains unclear whether their plans for a “Paul Festival” will be given the green light by convention organizers.

Find out more about Mitt Romney.
 Click on Mitt to visit Mitt Romney for President group at Cafemom.

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Quoting gammie:

We will NOT vote for Mitt!!!!

It is America.. you do have that choice.

Find out more about Mitt Romney.
 Click on Mitt to visit Mitt Romney for President group at Cafemom.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
It's in poor taste for him to do this before his father has officially dropped out. Makes me not trust him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
his father suspended his actiiive campaign some time ago

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It's in poor taste for him to do this before his father has officially dropped out. Makes me not trust him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM

It wasn't a suspension - it was a "change" in campaign strategy which really wasn't even that. The announcement from the Paul campaign was that they would quit focusing on the popular vote and concentrate on the delegate process - but this is what the campaign has been doing all along. But he never suspended.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

asfriend
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
so his strategy was to always thwart the will of the voters by stealing the nomination at the convention, do you even hear how crazy that sounds. thwart the people! some man of the people.

Quoting -Eilish-:

It wasn't a suspension - it was a "change" in campaign strategy which really wasn't even that. The announcement from the Paul campaign was that they would quit focusing on the popular vote and concentrate on the delegate process - but this is what the campaign has been doing all along. But he never suspended.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Jambo4:

I do not get how you can think he will different than Obama? He is NOT going to over turn O health care.
He has and will raise taxes!

He will keep the war going!

You have liked him from day one and I just don't get It?

How is more of the same different?

Evil is Evil

I do not want a fight I just want answers.
asfriend
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:54 AM
technically he didn't suspend, he kept the bank account open so paulanistas could keep putting money in it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:55 AM

*rolls eyes* THAT is the way the delegate process works - the delegates vote for the nominee. It's the popular vote that is a mere formality.

Quoting asfriend:

so his strategy was to always thwart the will of the voters by stealing the nomination at the convention, do you even hear how crazy that sounds. thwart the people! some man of the people.

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

asfriend
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
since he a tea party conservative, you were just slobbering trust all over him before
uh huh

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jun. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Quoting asfriend:

technically he didn't suspend, he kept the bank account open so paulanistas could keep putting money in it.

You can still donate to Santorum's campaign - suspension means that you get to keep that bank account open. So you're wrong again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN