Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cost VS Benefit

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

You cant control the smart one and make a lot more money.

mrsjonzy
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
Never going to work someone has to be the janitor. This is also what's wrong with everyone education doesn't equal success, the only reason it did before is because there were such a small amount of people that had them and those thar did were well connected. That being said I think education changes the way you think and society would be a much better place if people would accept that not everyone can be on the top of the pyramid and still have the enlightened mindset of education.
VeronicaTex
We are now into Holy Week...The Triduum will be Holy Thursday (The Last Supper), Good Friday (Jesus' Crucifixion) and Easter Sunday (Jesus' Resurrection" ) Our Lord died for us!!!!
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

As a former teacher who worked in three At-Risk public Elementary Schools I like this comparison.

Veronica

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

This assumes a child has only 2 paths.  If one can only take a simple approach to real world choices and issues, then I can see where they would rely on a graphic such as this to push their agenda.  The fact of the matter is: No matter how much government spends on social programs, that child will have choices and be a product of their parents upbringing.  It is what they, the individual, choose to do with their life that makes the real difference.  Not what government programs are available at the time.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Nice idea.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, but successful programs can help to point out those other choices. They can also help the parents understand how to better help their children.

Quoting jcrew6:

This assumes a child has only 2 paths.  If one can only take a simple approach to real world choices and issues, then I can see where they would rely on a graphic such as this to push their agenda.  The fact of the matter is: No matter how much government spends on social programs, that child will have choices and be a product of their parents upbringing.  It is what they, the individual, choose to do with their life that makes the real difference.  Not what government programs are available at the time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
So can community, non government funded programs. But the child has to want it. These programs are in place now, more government than community these days. And there is still gangs, crimes, etc. this graphic in the op gives a false image of it is either one or the other. That is false.

Quoting rccmom:

Yes, but successful programs can help to point out those other choices. They can also help the parents understand how to better help their children.

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rccmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree it is not one or the other, but I volunteer helping foster kids and I see how govt cuts cut programs designed to help both the parents and children. I've also volunteered tutored in schools helping those children not badly off enough yet to qualify for a tutor because budget cuts mean we only help those who are really far behind. It would make more sense to help them when they are only a few levels behind. Overall, it would be cheaper in the long run.

Quoting jcrew6:

So can community, non government funded programs. But the child has to want it. These programs are in place now, more government than community these days. And there is still gangs, crimes, etc. this graphic in the op gives a false image of it is either one or the other. That is false.

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
cause parents and kids wouldn't have a clue without government. there are no peers, role models, tv, radio, newspapers, books,
nope none of that exists yea government!

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rccmom
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Some don't have a clue because their role models are drug dealers, users, and gang members. If that is what you see all around you growing up, then all that TV stuff is just people far away you don't relate to. Good programs, whether govt or community come to where they live, teach valuable skills, and show them that another way of life is attainable.

Quoting asfriend:

cause parents and kids wouldn't have a clue without government. there are no peers, role models, tv, radio, newspapers, books,

nope none of that exists yea government!

Quoting rccmom:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)