Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

68 Percent of Americans want Obamacare Gone or Partially Stricken Down

Posted by   + Show Post

From the Washington Times: 

"More than two-thirds of Americans hope the Supreme Court justices will overturn some or all of President Obama's health care overhaul when they announce their decision later this month, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll released Thursday morning.

Forty-one percent of respondents said they want the court to undo the entire law, while another 27 percent said it should strike the individual mandate to buy health insurance but leave the rest of the law intact."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/jun/7/most-americans-full-partial-overturn-health-care/

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Replies (31-36):
blondekosmic15
In the process of decorating my page~
Today at 2:17 PM
by Blonde on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Isn't one of the 10 Commandments say do not lie?There are lies in your answer Blonde.

You are being dishonest when you accuse me of lying. You believe in the right to kill an unborn child, thou shall NOT kill. Are you familiar with this Commandment!?

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting mehamil1:

Have you researched how it could benefit you? 

I know you are religious. Wasn't Jesus a healer? Didn't he preach up and down that whole area about caring for the sick and the poor? This law is the first step in doing that. 

Read the whole thing (if you can, it is rather dense in places). Then see whether or not you still support it. 

I have read extensively about the bill, Megan. Pls enlighten where Jesus said the gov't should force anyone to comply using the penalty of punishment if they refuse. The cost for Obamacare will increase taxes considerably. I am very concerned about the quality of care and the shortage of Drs because many will retire early. The waiting lists for necessary procedures and some gov't beauocrat decides who lives and who dies etc etc.....

Quoting blondekosmic15:

I am one of those Americans amongst the 68%...

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Top 10 Reasons Obamacare Is Wrong for America

By:Human Events

(Compiled by the Heritage Foundation)

1. Millions Will Lose Their Current Insurance: President Obama wants Americans to believe they can keep their insurance if they like. Proposed economic incentives, plus a government-run health plan would cause 88.1 million people to see their current employer-sponsored health plan disappear.

2. Your Health Care Coverage Will Probably Change Anyway: Even if you keep your private insurance, eventually most remaining plans will have to conform to new federal benefit standards. Moreover, the necessary plan "upgrades" will undoubtedly cost you more in premiums.

3. The Umpire Is Also the First Baseman: The main argument for a "public option" is that it would increase competition. However, if the federal government creates a healthcare plan that it controls and also sets the rules for the private plans, there is little doubt that Washington would put its private sector "competitors" out of business sooner or later.

4. The Fed Picks Your Treatment: President Obama said: "They're going to have to give up paying for things that don't make them healthier. ... If there's a blue pill and a red pill, and the blue pill is half the price of the red pill and works just as well, why not pay half for the thing that's going to make you well." Does that sound like a government that will stay out of your healthcare decisions?

5. Individual Mandate Means Less Liberty and More Taxes: President Obama is open to the imposition of an individual mandate that would require all Americans to have federally approved health insurance. This unprecedented federal directive not only takes away your individual freedom but could cost you as well. Lawmakers are considering a penalty or tax for those who don't buy government-approved health plans.

6. Higher Taxes Than Europe Hurt Small Businesses: A proposed surtax on the wealthy will actually hit hundreds of thousands of small business owners who are dealing with a recession. If it is enacted, America's top earners and job creators will carry a larger overall tax burden than in France, Italy, Germany, Japan, etc., with a total average tax rate greater than 52%. Is that the right recipe for jobs and wage growth?

7. Who Makes Medical Decisions? While the House and Senate language is vague, amendments offered in House and Senate committees to block government rationing of care were routinely defeated. Cost or a federal health board could be the deciding factor. President Obama himself admitted this when he said, "Maybe you're better off not having the surgery, but taking the painkiller," when asked about an elderly woman who needed a pacemaker.

8. Taxpayer-Funded Abortions? Nineteen Democrats recently asked the President to not sign any bill that doesn't explicitly exclude "abortion from the scope of any government-defined or subsidized health insurance plan" or any bill that allows a federal health board to "recommend abortion services be included under covered benefits or as part of a benefits package." Currently, these provisions do not exist.

9. It's Not Paid For: The CBO says the current House plan would increase the deficit by $239 billion over 10 years. And that amount will likely continue to rise over the long term.

10. Rushing It, Not Reading It: We've been down this road before -- with the failed stimulus package. Back then, we also heard that we were in a crisis and that we needed to pass a 1,000-plus-page bill in a few hours -- without reading it -- or we would have 8% unemployment. Deception is the only reason to rush through a bill nobody truly understands.

http://www.humanevents.com/2009/08/12/top-10-reasons-obamacare-is-wrong-for-america/

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

WEST: Why Obamacare is bad for America’s health

Expensive overreach could prove fatal if not struck down

On Monday, the Supreme Court will consider the legality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also referred to as Obamacare. The high court will pore over Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution to determine the true meaning behind the words, “The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common Defense and general welfare of the United States; To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations and among the several states, and with the Indian Tribes.” The 2012 Supreme Court must determine whether the Founders had any intention of mandating the behavior of private enterprises and individuals.

To me, the answer is obvious: absolutely not.

Our nation was founded on the Declaration of Independence. Freedom of choice and a free market are at the core of our nation’s soul. A governmental mandate for the behavior of individuals and private enterprises is anathema to what our founders intended. The prospect of having an unelected panel of bureaucrats determining fundamental decisions about our individual health care is perhaps the most personal and intimate intrusion into our lives. The concept of this absurd and dangerous law surely ranks with the grievances laid down 236 years ago.

In January 2011, Florida federal District Judge C. Roger Vinson ruled the individual mandate unconstitutional, stating: “Never before has Congress required that everyone buy a product from a private company (essentially for life) just for being alive and residing in the United States. If [the government] has the power to compel an otherwise passive individual into a transaction… it is not hyperbolic to suggest that Congress could do almost anything it wanted.” Today, this prediction is being attempted before our very eyes.

With Obamacare, insurance companies will be forced to provide contraceptive products free of charge. Why just contraception? Will the government next force insurance companies to provide surgical procedures free of charge? Where does it end? Perhaps supermarkets should be compelled to offer apples and carrots free of charge to ensure children have access to healthy food.

Beyond exerting oppressive control over individuals and private enterprises, Obamacare circumvents the foundation of our own legislative structure.

At the heart of the Affordable Care Act is the Independent Payment Advisory Panel (IPAB), made up of 15 unelected officials appointed by the president to reduce Medicare spending. The IPAB will be tasked with and given the authority to reduce costs to the government by, among other things, limiting reimbursements to doctors. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to recognize that this will lead to more physicians leaving the Medicare system, reducing access to care for our seniors and limiting available treatments.

But this isn’t the most frightening part. Any recommendations by the IPAB automatically become law. The only way around this unprecedented amount of power for Washington bureaucrats is an act of Congress, with a three-fifths supermajority in the Senate. In other words, the unelected IPAB, appointed by the president, essentially becomes its own shadow legislative branch.

The fundamental structure of our government, with three co-equal branches and a careful system of checks and balances, is being usurped. Our freedoms and liberties are being chipped away, bit by bit. Our country is being transformed step by incremental step into a centrally planned, stringently controlled bureaucratic nanny state, and what I find most frightening is that a portion of our populace willingly dons the shackles, and like lemmings, marches to our demise.

Perhaps some Americans are simply unaware of the exorbitant monetary cost of this governmental behemoth. The numbers don’t lie, and they are dangerous:

c $1.76 trillion from American taxpayers to pay for Obamacare over 10 years, nearly double the $940 billion forecast when the bill was signed into law (Congressional Budget Office). c $52 billion in new taxes on businesses as employers are forced to provide health insurance. (CBO). c $800,000 fewer U.S. jobs. (CBO). c $47 billion in new taxes on drug companies and medical device makers, costs that surely will be passed down to patients, particularly our senior citizens.

c Families earning more than $250,000 a year will see more taxes, as Obamacare adds a new tax to investment income, including capital gains, dividends, rental income and royalties.

c Insurance premiums are expected to increase 1.9 percent to 2.3 percent in 2014 and up to 3.7 percent by 2023 because Obamacare adds a premium tax on health insurers offering full coverage.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is unworkable and destined to fail. One need only look back a few years ago to the last big government program with the word “affordable” in it. Barney Frank’s Affordable Housing Act managed, in less than a decade, to demolish the housing market, weaken financial institutions and wipe out the net worth of millions of Americans.

What makes anyone think government intervention in health care will be successful? Obamacare is unconstitutional, anti-constitutional and, most certainly, an awful piece of American policy. Let’s hope after next week’s Supreme Court decision it also becomes a short-lived piece of American history.

Story Continues →

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/23/why-obamacare-is-bad-for-americas-health/

mehamil1
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM

1. Taxes need to be increased anyway. Especially on the uber rich people. 

2. Jesus is very clear about caring for the poor and the sick. You and I both know that the world today did not exist back then. So you cannot use that whole "Jesus never said government should force healthcare on people" because during that time, the Romans were the government and they weren't exactly beloved. Life was short and harsh back then. You could die just from getting a cold. Jesus said to care for the poor and the sick, that is what he said. He said it over and over and over again. Universal healthcare that is tax payer funded and regulated by the government is caring for the poor and the sick. Private charities do not have the ability or the means to care for the millions upon millions of people who need help. The government does have the means. 

3. Burocrats already decide who lives and dies. They are the insurance adjustors who deny claims or accept them. This is already happening and the Health Care act seeks to end that. Where people can get the care they need and not have the insurance company deny them on some bogus reason. People are denied treatment all the time. Mostly under the guise that it's "experimental". More like "expensive". 

4. No, doctors will not retire enmass. There is no shortage of doctors. There is however, a shortage of nurses. That's been the case for awhile now. 

The top ten reasons you posted are full of lies and and information that has been twisted. Also, the heritage foundation has a ridiculous conservative bias. You will not find accurate information from them. They have an agenda to push and are not above lying. 

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting mehamil1:

I know you are religious. Wasn't Jesus a healer? Didn't he preach up and down that whole area about caring for the sick and the poor? This law is the first step in doing that. 

Read the whole thing (if you can, it is rather dense in places). Then see whether or not you still support it. 

I have read extensively about the bill, Megan. Pls enlighten me where Jesus said the gov't should force anyone to comply using the penalty of punishment if they refuse. The cost for Obamacare will increase taxes considerably. I am very concerned about the quality of care and the shortage of Drs because many will retire early due to Obamacare. The waiting lists for necessary procedures and some gov't bureaucrat decides who lives and who dies etc etc.....

Quoting blondekosmic15:

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mehamil1:

1. Taxes need to be increased anyway. Especially on the uber rich people. 

You raise taxes on the rich, it will have a trickled down effect upon the middle class and the poor. Rich ppl. hire and provide opportunities for the less fortunate. The incentive to open businesses and expand current businesses will diminish under higher taxes. Companies lay off workers etc. You never raise taxes during a recession and when the economy is in serious trouble. Economics 101....

2. Jesus is very clear about caring for the poor and the sick. You and I both know that the world today did not exist back then. So you cannot use that whole "Jesus never said government should force healthcare on people" because during that time, the Romans were the government and they weren't exactly beloved. Life was short and harsh back then. You could die just from getting a cold. Jesus said to care for the poor and the sick, that is what he said. He said it over and over and over again. Universal healthcare that is tax payer funded and regulated by the government is caring for the poor and the sick. Private charities do not have the ability or the means to care for the millions upon millions of people who need help. The government does have the means. 

Megan, I hope you are not claiming Jesus was incapable of forseeing the future. He knows EVERYTHING from the beginning of the world til the end. This is a dangerous assumption, the Bible only focuses upon the time in history recorded. I disagree when you say the gov't is the answer to everything. We have witnessed the devastation of 'big gov't' under the current admin. 6 trillion $ in debt in less than four yrs. Yes, you can die from experiencing a cold esp if you are elderly and your health is weak. You can also die when there is a waiting list for a particular procedure and the gov't deems you're not worth saving if the operation is costly and you are too old. Jesus never said universal healthcare is the answer esp when it will cripple the economy and harm so many Americans in respect to higher taxes and financial instability. He sees the overall picture.

3. Burocrats already decide who lives and dies. They are the insurance adjustors who deny claims or accept them. This is already happening and the Health Care act seeks to end that. Where people can get the care they need and not have the insurance company deny them on some bogus reason. People are denied treatment all the time. Mostly under the guise that it's "experimental". More like "expensive". 

If you believe patients who need life saving treatments will receive the necessary medical care when they are elderly or disabled under Obamacare than you are sadly mistaken. I agree, the current system is flawed and needs reform. Nat'l healthcare is not the answer. Forced healthcare under penalty of punishment is not the answer! How is this Constitutional? The upcoming system will increase taxes tremendously and devastate the economy placing more burden on the taxpayer, practicing physicians and those struggling to make ends meet.  

4. No, doctors will not retire enmass. There is no shortage of doctors. There is however, a shortage of nurses. That's been the case for awhile now.

I have attentively listened to many Drs who will retire when Obamacare fully takes effect. The new healthcare system will cripple a Drs. freedom to perform and provide the necessary treatment for their patients.  

The top ten reasons you posted are full of lies and and information that has been twisted. Also, the heritage foundation has a ridiculous conservative bias. You will not find accurate information from them. They have an agenda to push and are not above lying. 

Megan, your comments reflect a far left leaning bias. An attempt to defend Obamacare which was pushed thru by the Dems absent of any consideration for millions of Americans who said...NO! I appreciate your sincere concern to help those in need. A representative of your side Nancy Pelosi said, you must pass the bill to see what's in it. What an idiotic statement to make esp when many politicians and the average American had not read the lengthy document. Pelosi belittles the intelligence of the American ppl...

Thank you for your opinion Megan~

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting mehamil1:

I have read extensively about the bill, Megan. Pls enlighten me where Jesus said the gov't should force anyone to comply using the penalty of punishment if they refuse. The cost for Obamacare will increase taxes considerably. I am very concerned about the quality of care and the shortage of Drs because many will retire early due to Obamacare. The waiting lists for necessary procedures and some gov't bureaucrat decides who lives and who dies etc etc.....

Quoting blondekosmic15:

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Quoting mehamil1:

There will be a shortage of Drs in the future under Obamacare...

Side Effects: Doctors Fear Obamacare

Heath care is an expensive product, with high demand chasing limited supply. There are only so many doctors, and training new ones requires a long education at great personal expense. Meanwhile, advances in medicine are steadily prolonging life and improving its quality.

It follows that if we want to decrease the cost of health care (or, to use the currently popular political vernacular, “improve access”) we need more doctors. Conversely, reducing the supply of doctors would make medical care more expensive, and reduce its quality. If government controls are then applied to skyrocketing costs, shortages and rationing would be the inevitable result.

What will ObamaCare do to the supply of doctors? For the answer, we turn to a Heritage Foundation report on a new survey of the medical profession, which confirms the results of a previous survey from 2010. Doctors hate ObamaCare even more than the general public does, with 60 percent of respondents saying it will “have a negative impact on overall patient care,” but that’s not the worst of it:

The Doctors Company, which is the largest insurer of physician and surgeon medical liability in the nation, received more than 5,000 surveys, including all specialties and every region in the country. The results weren’t good for the President’s signature piece of legislation.

Not only do doctors believe that Obamacare will not improve the health care system, they also anticipate that it will worsen the current condition. According to the survey, nine out of 10 physicians are unwilling to recommend health care as a profession to a family member, and one primary care physician even commented, “I would not recommend becoming an M.D. to anyone.”

Obamacare doesn’t just discourage entrance into the medical profession; it encourages those who are already practicing to leave it. The survey states that “health care reform is motivating doctors to change their retirement timeline.” In fact, 43 percent of respondents said they are considering retiring within the next five years as a result of the law. A surgeon from Michigan wrote that under Obamacare, “We will be moving further away from humanity-based health care and more towards the patient as a commodity. This was not the way my father practiced—nor will I. Winding down to retire early.”

(Emphases mine.) This comes as the United States teeters “on the brink of a severe physician shortage,” with the American Association of Medical Colleges estimating that we’ll need 91,500 more doctors by 2020 to meet demand.

This is the sort of disastrous “side effect” that probably wasn’t included in the Congressional Budget Office’s already horrific estimate of ObamaCare’s exploding costs. It’s also damage that would not be easy to reverse. If ObamaCare is not repealed soon, the loss of doctors will ripple forward for years… and the necessity of tight “death panel” rationing of precious doctor time will be used as a club by Democrats to not only keep ObamaCare, but actually make it worse. Wait until the doctors of 2014 get a load of the tidal wave pouring into their offices to collect their mandated benefits… and look behind them to see an increasingly large army of stern bureaucrats dictating the fast-food practices necessary to keep the human cattle moving through those exam rooms.

Let’s hear Health and Human Cattle Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius tell us some more about that private-sector death spiral ObamaCare was supposed to fix!

http://blog.heritage.org/2012/03/14/side-effects-doctors-fear-obamacare/

Column: Why doctors might be turning on 'ObamaCare'

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-01-18/doctors-obama-health-reform-ppaca/52650852/1

Doctors hate ObamaCare even more than you do

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/03/15/doctors-hate-obamacare-even-more-than-you-do/

Quoting blondekosmic15:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)