Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

A look back: How Republicans fell off an economic cliff over the last century

Posted by   + Show Post

A look back: How Republicans fell off an economic cliff over the last century

It wasn't too long ago that the Republican party looked much different than it does today. Compared to the current incarnation, the men and women who represented the Republican party of yesterday might not even be welcomed in today's GOP. As the years have gone by, conservatives across the country have taken steps to the right of the political spectrum and today are nearly falling off a cliff.

The current Republican party is no longer a party that relates to the average American. Whether it's economic or social issues or foreign policy, the Republicans take a far right stance with nearly every position. After the stock market crashed on October 29th, 1929, following three straight Republican presidencies over a 12 year period, President Franklin Roosevelt was sworn into office in March of 1933 and over the next 12 years got the United States back on its feet. Following the guidelines in his "New Deal," which included the creation of the Social Security program, Americans found themselves getting out of poverty and back into the workplace. After leading the country into a position to win World War 2, President Roosevelt passed away on April 12th 1945. His vice president, Harry Truman, became president and less than a month later, finished the war and the United States and their allies were victorious

When the stock market crashed,  the top tax rate was 24%. The top tax rate in 1923 was 56%, but was lowered to 25% in 1925 and pushed down further leading to the destruction of the American economy only a few years later. One of the main reasons the United States was able to bounce back was because the country was receiving more revenue from its citizens. The top tax rate was increased to 63% in 1932 and by the time President Truman left office in 1953, the top tax rate was 92%. When Republican President Dwight Eisenhower took office in 1953, the country was doing well. It was common place for only one parent in the household to work, easier to raise multiple children and a family could afford to send their children to college without having to worry about massive debts holding them down for years to come.

In the 1950s and 1960s, unions were strong, workers made a living wage and pension plans and vacation time were normal. Not everything was perfect in the 1950s as civil rights for African Americans, women and minorities were being fought and the horror of what was going on in the streets of America was disturbing. While the country had its ups and downs, both parties seemed to be able to sit down and have a conversation with each other, unlike in Washington today.

Republican presidents like Eisenhower and Richard Nixon held positions that would possibly get them blacklisted from the Republican party today. President Eisenhower passed the "The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956," which created 41,000 miles of road to be built over a 10 year period, costing nearly $25 billion dollars. The highway was primarily paid for by the 'Highway Trust Fund', which collected money from the taxpayers by adding new taxes to fuel, automobiles and tires. The idea was revolutionary and one that came to Eisenhower while spending time in Europe as a member of the U.S Army.

Following President Eisenhower, Richard Nixon took office in 1969 and within a year created the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, or the EPA. Though Nixon cast many dark shadows during his time in office, the creation of the EPA, in addition to keeping top tax rates at 70%, are actions that would lead Nixon right out of the current Republican party. It wasn't until Ronald Reagan took office after the 1980 election that the economic policy drastically changed for the Republicans. While the government gives Americans and business a chance to succeed, there are those who aren't privileged or in a position to do so without some help. President Ronald Reagan came into office and took a top tax rate of 70% and cut it down to 50% after his first term was complete and by the time he left office in January of 1989, the top tax rate was dropped to 28%, the lowest it had been since the stock market crashed in 1929. During the decade of the 1980s, the policies of Ronald Reagantripled the national debt, wealth began to concentrate to the top 1% of income earners, while the middle class started to struggle worse than they had in decades.

Ronald Reagan laid down the platform for the current Republican party, but the new crop of lawmakers have taken that platform to the extreme. President George Bush was handed an economic surplus by President Bill Clinton, and by the time he left office eight years later that surplus was turned into an enormous debt caused by massive tax cuts, primarily for the wealthy, a prescription drug plan and two wars that weren't paid for.

At one time, a Republican seemed reasonable when it came to economics. Programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security weren't a major issue, they were a "no brainer." Keeping taxes high was the obviously choice because when a government needs money to spend on mandatory programs, it receives the revenue from its citizens. The Republican party of today has changed drastically and with each passing year the party continues to shift further to the right, alienating average voters and pulling the country closer to the edge of the cliff that they have already fallen off.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Except there was no surplus

Quoting matreshka:

What worries me about the current campaign for president, is that Bush's failures are not being brought up again, especially how he squandered a surplus.  This should be a major issue that the GOP should be challenged with answering still.

Quoting mehamil1:

I'll poke it. 

A great deal is glossed over and a lot of shit was polished. But I do agree that the republican party has changed dramatically in a very small amount of time. The democrats have as well but the republicans did an about face with Reagan and kept marching in that direction. 

One thing that concerns me is something a conservative said the other day, I don't know who. She said that this nation has been living with this debt for decades and it's only gotten worse under Obama. 

How is that possible? Are we really that disconnected that those who disagree with the democrats and liberals that they are willing to believe that fanciful notion? It's a fact that Clinton left office with a surplus. It's a fact that Bush squandered it. In a very short amount of time actually. What is going on? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM

First of all there was no surplus.  Second of all Bush is NOT running for president so this blame GWB is foolish.

Now,  Obama lies in the debt he continued to instill on this country and the job losses he has created. He has had 4 yrs. 

Finally,

Republicans have become more moderate so this article is far biased and incorrect.  Today's democrats are the ones who have changed for the worse.  FDR minus a few mistakes was a great democrat!

Quoting matreshka:

What worries me about the current campaign for president, is that Bush's failures are not being brought up again, especially how he squandered a surplus.  This should be a major issue that the GOP should be challenged with answering still.

Quoting mehamil1:

I'll poke it. 

A great deal is glossed over and a lot of shit was polished. But I do agree that the republican party has changed dramatically in a very small amount of time. The democrats have as well but the republicans did an about face with Reagan and kept marching in that direction. 

One thing that concerns me is something a conservative said the other day, I don't know who. She said that this nation has been living with this debt for decades and it's only gotten worse under Obama. 

How is that possible? Are we really that disconnected that those who disagree with the democrats and liberals that they are willing to believe that fanciful notion? It's a fact that Clinton left office with a surplus. It's a fact that Bush squandered it. In a very short amount of time actually. What is going on? 

mom2myprince
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM

What worries me about the current campaign for president, is that Bush's failures are not being brought up again,  it will be in the debates especially how he squandered a surplus.  This should be a major issue that the GOP should be challenged with answering still.

And people want another republican in office look at the 8 year's off fuck ups from bush going to war for what???  but remember Obama put us there right? blame him for the stuff that happened before he got into office. HOW CAN SOMEONE WITH REPUBLICANS  BEHIND HIM GET ANYTHING DONE.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Congress put us into war NOT GWB

Quoting mom2myprince:

What worries me about the current campaign for president, is that Bush's failures are not being brought up again,  it will be in the debates especially how he squandered a surplus.  This should be a major issue that the GOP should be challenged with answering still.

And people want another republican in office look at the 8 year's off fuck ups from bush going to war for what???  but remember Obama put us there right? blame him for the stuff that happened before he got into office. HOW CAN SOMEONE WITH REPUBLICANS  BEHIND HIM GET ANYTHING DONE.

asfriend
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Whoa!!

We might have to agree to disagree on that one.sunglasses mini

Quoting numbr1wmn:

First of all there was no surplus.  Second of all Bush is NOT running for president so this blame GWB is foolish.

Now,  Obama lies in the debt he continued to instill on this country and the job losses he has created. He has had 4 yrs. 

Finally,

Republicans have become more moderate so this article is far biased and incorrect.  Today's democrats are the ones who have changed for the worse.  FDR minus a few mistakes was a great democrat!

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting mehamil1:

I'll poke it. 

mom2myprince
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Congress put us into war NOT GWB

Quoting mom2myprince:

repubilcan wont take blam for anything.

Being
aware of the Thought process is a way of seeing why you do some of the
things you do on a daily basis..Unconscious thought goes unnoticed and
you react with them without thinking about it.....Think deeply into what
makes you tick,what makes you happy and every other emotion you get
from thoughts..Learn your thought process and begin to know yourself..
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

which part?

Quoting asfriend:

Whoa!!

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Finally,

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting mehamil1:

I'll poke it. 

mom2myprince
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Quoting matreshka:

Actually, Step 1 would be let the winner of the 2000 election be president and not steal it through bureaucratic administration.

I'm wondering, what sort of high do you get from trying to make yourself think you are superior to everyone in this group?  Is it worth it?

Quoting asfriend:

Step 1 - understand that the surplus was only on paper.

Step 2 - understand the financial damage that occurred on 9/11/2001 due to the previous administrations failings.

Until you complete steps 1 and 2 honest meaningful dialogue is going to prove challenging.

Quoting matreshka:

Quoting mehamil1:

I'll poke it. 

If its not all things Romney its not right.

Being
aware of the Thought process is a way of seeing why you do some of the
things you do on a daily basis..Unconscious thought goes unnoticed and
you react with them without thinking about it.....Think deeply into what
makes you tick,what makes you happy and every other emotion you get
from thoughts..Learn your thought process and begin to know yourself..
asfriend
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM

surprised

Quoting numbr1wmn:

which part?

Quoting asfriend:

Whoa!!

Quoting numbr1wmn:

.  FDR minus a few mistakes was a great democrat!

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

LOL Just kidding.

I think that he wasn't bad. I don't know if I would vote for him, but he was definatly a different democrat than we have today

Quoting asfriend:

surprised

Quoting numbr1wmn:

which part?

Quoting asfriend:

Whoa!!

Quoting numbr1wmn:

.  FDR minus a few mistakes was a great democrat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN