Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Civility in Politics DOES Exist

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:27 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

"Civility DOES exist in politics, just not in every place or with all people. We each chose what kind of tone we perpetuate, reverse, or create, whether by our speech or our silence."

Choose wisely.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank You for this quote.  Choosing silence can be a wise idea in civil discourse.

imamomzilla
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM

"Women are not inherently passive or peaceful."
-Robin Morgan
angel mini
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Quoting imamomzilla:

-Robin Morgan
angel mini

Don't I know it!

This is why we have a word for "civil," so that we can identify an ideal.

BTW, I think that an essential part of civil discourse is being able to disagree civilly.  Civility DOES NOT mean being homogeneous, carbon copy echo chambers, or lemmings, thank goodness, atleast not if you know how to disagree with civility. 

:)

asfriend
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

angel

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  Sometimes it just feels like the uncivil discourse has snuffed out civility.  But in reality, it is always there if we are willing to look for it.

imamomzilla
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Civility shouldn't mean censorship....unless those "words" incite violence.

Too many people have thin skin and can't handle criticism. Meh. I'll give as good as I get in a debate...and those who can't handle the heat should get out of the kitchen. *shrugs It's politics....it isn't personal. :-)

Eleanor Roosevelt said it best.......

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting imamomzilla:

-Robin Morgan
angel mini

Don't I know it!

BTW, I think that an essential part of civil discourse is being able to disagree civilly.  Civility DOES NOT mean being homogeneous, carbon copy echo chambers, or lemmings, thank goodness, atleast not if you know how to disagree with civility. 

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

-Eleanor Roosevelt-

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Civility is not about censorship; true civility is voluntary, and it isn't even necessarily a gesture to the audience, it may also be a gesture to principles that allow a civilization to survive, or to Truth greater than any ont thing or person.

Fences are an example of civility at work, helping to "make good neighbors."  The free market would not be possible without civility.  Civility is a spectrum, it begins with the basic stuff like freedom of speech in the public square and IMO is ideally being able to debate without resorting to character assassination or other fallacies.

IM ( CORRECT!) O

j\k ;)

Quoting imamomzilla:

Civility shouldn't mean censorship....unless those "words" incite violence.

Too many people have thin skin and can't handle criticism. Meh. I'll give as good as I get in a debate...and those who can't handle the heat should get out of the kitchen. *shrugs It's politics....it isn't personal. :-)

Eleanor Roosevelt said it best.......

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting imamomzilla:

-Robin Morgan
angel mini

Don't I know it!

bookmommy
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Good quote. I think sometimes people are so adamant about getting THEIR views out that they don't think about what kind of tone or language they use when responding to people. I have always maintained, it's not what you say, it's HOW its said.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I've got to ask about your picture... does it have anything to do with your quote.. if it does I'm not getting it.

I tried to break it down into Right and Left...  the path is much longer on the Left... the Right has less cushioned benches... wink mini

It looks like Canterbury Cathedral somewhat... ;)

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Quoting Jambo4:

I've got to ask about your picture... does it have anything to do with your quote.. if it does I'm not getting it.

I tried to break it down into Right and Left...  the path is much longer on the Left... the Right has less cushioned benches... wink mini

It looks like Canterbury Cathedral somewhat... ;)

I assumed it was the inside of the British Parliament.  It seems like I read somewhere that when they break for a vote, the way that they vote is to go down one hall or the other, depending on which way you are voting.  I could be totally making that up in my head, though.  LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN