Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Civility in Politics DOES Exist

Posted by   + Show Post

"Civility DOES exist in politics, just not in every place or with all people. We each chose what kind of tone we perpetuate, reverse, or create, whether by our speech or our silence."

Choose wisely.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Jambo4:

I've got to ask about your picture... does it have anything to do with your quote.. if it does I'm not getting it.

I tried to break it down into Right and Left...  the path is much longer on the Left... the Right has less cushioned benches... wink mini

It looks like Canterbury Cathedral somewhat... ;)

I assumed it was the inside of the British Parliament.  It seems like I read somewhere that when they break for a vote, the way that they vote is to go down one hall or the other, depending on which way you are voting.  I could be totally making that up in my head, though.  LOL!

Interesting... I've been to London.. but I didn't waste my time checking out Parliament. ;)  I LOVE old architecture!  

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Quoting Jambo4:

I've got to ask about your picture... does it have anything to do with your quote.. if it does I'm not getting it.

I tried to break it down into Right and Left...  the path is much longer on the Left... the Right has less cushioned benches... wink mini

HA!

It's the Chicago Theological Seminary...I liked it because it showed two divergent halls.  It came up on my search because the text with it is about finding your way around the seminary and not getting lost and after the careful instructions the writer says, "Choose wisely."

I love old, beautiful architecture, too.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:35 AM

If it's Chicago, it's not that old. It's still beautiful; lots of Moorish influence, don't you think?

Anywho, that's a nice quote. I agree with everything you've said, Meadow, but since most of our discourse is dictated by what we are fed by the media and how those within the media conduct themselves, I have to say getting to the point of being civil and capable of discussing a topic while STAYING on that topic is going to be one LOOOOOOONG journey.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this

The right side also goes right out a door...

Just sayin'. 

big smile mini

Quoting Jambo4:

asfriend
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Civil:

Everyone loves Obama, everyone loves Obama, everyone loves Obama, everyone loves Obama.

Not Civil:

Wait, not everyone loves Obama.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM

The post below is civil.  Incorrect, but civil.  :P

I am thinking that perhaps there are different views about what civil actually is; my great grandma would say it means never disagreeing with a guest or speaking out of turn, or sweating, either.  Love you Nana, but I disagree.

:)

Quoting asfriend:

Civil:

Everyone loves Obama, everyone loves Obama, everyone loves Obama, everyone loves Obama.

Not Civil:

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

If it's Chicago, it's not that old. It's still beautiful; lots of Moorish influence, don't you think?

Anywho, that's a nice quote. I agree with everything you've said, Meadow, but since most of our discourse is dictated by what we are fed by the media and how those within the media conduct themselves, I have to say getting to the point of being civil and capable of discussing a topic while STAYING on that topic is going to be one LOOOOOOONG journey.

It happens, I know it has between the two of us and with several other posters on this topic.  We may each fail sometimes, but sometimes we also succeed. 

I agree, I am in love with the arches and warmth of color and light.  Hey, and another door leads to a different place, which could be a good thing, no?  ;)

asfriend
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM

WRONG?  angry

Quoting Meadowchik:

The post below is civil.  Incorrect, but civil.  :P

I am thinking that perhaps there are different views about what civil actually is; my great grandma would say it means never disagreeing with a guest or speaking out of turn, or sweating, either.  Love you Nana, but I disagree.

:)

Quoting asfriend:

Civil:

Not Civil:

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I've always felt comfortable engaging with you because you manage to stay within the topic at hand. That makes is far more interesting and educational, then say, taking the topic in one direction (abortion) or another (how much republicans suck) regardless of what the original topic was. 

I do have to say, after not being in this group for a while, I found that the tone has gotten a lot more harsh within the past few weeks/months.

Just an observation.

Gorgeous architecture. It looks like it could be in Istanbul.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

It happens, I know it has between the two of us and with several other posters on this topic.  We may each fail sometimes, but sometimes we also succeed. 

I agree, I am in love with the arches and warmth of color and light.  Hey, and another door leads to a different place, which could be a good thing, no?  ;)

asfriend
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I think that is true.

My side doesn't just shut up and take it any more.

Good times.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I do have to say, after not being in this group for a while, I found that the tone has gotten a lot more harsh within the past few weeks/months.

Just an observation.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)