Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Michelle: Send Barack Father’s Day Wishes, Cash

Posted by   + Show Post

This weekend is Father’s Day. That means it’s time to give President Obama a hug – and a check, at least according to Michelle Obama.

Today, the Obama campaign sent out a missive from the First Lady to the general public. The header: “Will you wish Barack a happy Father’s Day?”

Apparently, it never occurred to the Obama campaign that the president is not our father. Nonetheless, Michelle wrote this:

Benjamin --

From coaching basketball to knowing how many Jonas brothers there are, Barack is a pretty cool dad.

But more importantly, Barack is a wonderful father and partner. No matter what's on his plate, he puts the kids first, and they know how much he loves them.

This Father's Day, I want Barack to know how much we love and appreciate him back, so I hope you'll join me in wishing him a happy Father's Day:

http: // my. barackobama. com / Fathers-Day

Thanks for all your hard work, and happy Father's Day to all the wonderful dads out there."

-- Michelle

Obama is now trading on his personal popularity alone. Why does it matter that Obama knows the Jonas brothers? Why is it important to Americans that he coaches basketball? Nobody has challenged Obama’s credentials as a father or a husband, yet Michelle still feels we must be informed that Obama is a great daddy and puts his kids first.

So we’re all supposed to join Michelle in wishing Barack a happy Father’s Day.

Or, rather, we’re supposed to send him money.

Because when you click on the above link, you’re taken to a page asking for your contact information. When you give it, you’re immediately linked through to a contribution form asking for cash.

It’s one thing to ask us for Father’s Day wishes. It’s another to ask for a Father’s Day present. Americans all have fathers of their own. They don’t need to be given a surrogate dad by the Obama campaign – and they certainly don’t need to be burdened with giving a Father’s Day political contribution to their non-father based on the fact that he’s nice to his kids and wife.

(breitbart)

happy fathers day2

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Replies (41-47):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

It was me who posted the article. 

I just read the other  replies..and someone posted a news article.   As far as your question as my husband is an owner of a business.  You take the information that they give you..and then usually social security will send  you a letter if "no's and names don't match..  How would you know if someone was illegal if they are using a name and no..unless you had the machine that you could swipe and/or  type the information  (can't think of the name of it) that tells you immediately.  If hubby has that machine now or not I don't know..I will ask him tonight.  It would be better if people could know right off the bat..for sure.

you posted this one as well..but I meant this one..lol

Fact-checking Mitt Romney on hiring illegal immigrants

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY
Updated 2011-10-19 10:49 AM

By Chris Carlson, AP
One of the sharpest exchanges at the GOP presidential debate last night dredged up a controversy that came to light when Mitt Romney mounted his first bid for president: Did he, in fact, hire illegal immigrants to care for his lawn?

The short answer is the former Massachusetts governor neverdirectly hired an illegal immigrant. But he did hire a landscaping company that employed illegal immigrants from Guatemala, as The Boston Globe reported in a December 2006 story as Romney was preparing for his 2008 White House bid.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/10/mitt-romney-hire-illegal-immigrant-rick-perry-/1#.T9uaFbXqJHc

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Well I hope your guy is working within the laws. 

The nail salon is different. The person who owns the place is responsible for the people they hire to work in there. If they let a undocumented person work then they are at fault not the person requesting a mani /pedi.

There is the nicest guy who does our neighbors yard. His name is Jesus. He comes and asks if he can do our yard. 

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I didn't say it was too much to ask.  I said it never occured to me to ask our guy if he checks the ID of the guys he hires.  I just assume he does business on the up and up.  It certainly appears so on our end.  He gives us an invoice, we pay by check that we write out to the business name, etc. so he can't just avoid taxes...He advertises...It's not like we found him standing on the street corner.  He's running an official, legitimate business.  I assume he's doing everything legitimately.

When you go to a nail salon, do you ask if they have documentation on all of their employees?  Is it lazy if you don't?

Our yard guy is a white guy.  Re-reading your replies I think there may have been a misunderstanding.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Every job I have ever applied for I had to show a form of ID and give my social. Don't you? Most employers run a back ground check. I think its like $10 now. Really? too much to ask?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

To be honest, I didn't really give it any thought until I read this article.  It never occured to me to ask.  I guess when I look at someone I don't automatically question their documentation status.  *shrugs*

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

People can't take the time to make sure the people they hire are in fact hiring legal citizens to do the work? Sounds lazy to me.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Fact-checking Mitt Romney on hiring illegal immigrants

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY
Updated 2011-10-19 10:49 AM

By Chris Carlson, AP
One of the sharpest exchanges at the GOP presidential debate last night dredged up a controversy that came to light when Mitt Romney mounted his first bid for president: Did he, in fact, hire illegal immigrants to care for his lawn?

The short answer is the former Massachusetts governor neverdirectly hired an illegal immigrant. But he did hire a landscaping company that employed illegal immigrants from Guatemala, as The Boston Globe reported in a December 2006 story as Romney was preparing for his 2008 White House bid.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/onpolitics/post/2011/10/mitt-romney-hire-illegal-immigrant-rick-perry-/1#.T9uaFbXqJHc

See, that's tough.  Our landscaper is a one-man show most of the year, but in the summer he hires a helper.  Sometimes, the helper that he hires appears to be hispanic or of some sort of South American origin.  I have no idea what the helper's documentation status is.  I assume he's doing everything legally, but I don't *know* that he is.  It's sort of the same situation here.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

My situation is exactly like the nail salon analogy.  We hire ___creek Landscaping, which is owned by Dave.  Dave is the owner/operator of the business.  The majority of the year, he is the only worker.  In the summer, he hires a helper.  It is his responsibility to check the documentation of anyone he hires.  Do I *know for a fact* that he does that?  No.  Just like you don't know for a fact if the nail salon checks the documentation of their employees.

My impression from reading the article about Romney is that his situation was similar to mine.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The nail salon is different. The person who owns the place is responsible for the people they hire to work in there. If they let a undocumented person work then they are at fault not the person requesting a mani /pedi.

There is the nicest guy who does our neighbors yard. His name is Jesus. He comes and asks if he can do our yard. 

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Yes seems the contractor could face jail time and the main employer only faces fines if they are found guilty. This may all change soon it seems. 

Oh FTR my Jesus reference wasn't religious. Sorry for the confusion.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

My situation is exactly like the nail salon analogy.  We hire ___creek Landscaping, which is owned by Dave.  Dave is the owner/operator of the business.  The majority of the year, he is the only worker.  In the summer, he hires a helper.  It is his responsibility to check the documentation of anyone he hires.  Do I *know for a fact* that he does that?  No.  Just like you don't know for a fact if the nail salon checks the documentation of their employees.

My impression from reading the article about Romney is that his situation was similar to mine.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

imamomzilla
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Just to clarify...you're mocking the guy who cut his grass? I thought libs cared about immigrants. hmm.

As Edna stated...Romney didn't personally hire the man, his contractor did.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Not all illegals are named Jesus. But many are and Romney is the one giving away our Amercian jobs. Shame on him. Maybe he should take his own advice and self deport.

Still laughing

Quoting imamomzilla:

Are you mocking his religion or the name of an illegal...?

Still not laughing. :-(

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

There was a story about how he hires illegals to do his yard. Please tell me he tips...

Quoting imamomzilla:

Not cool. :-(

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The Romney's need 5 dollars? What to tip Jesus?

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I'm mocking Romney. Who said liberals don't care about immigrants?

Like I said people should be making sure their employees are working within the laws. If not they need to get someone who will. Not so difficult.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Just to clarify...you're mocking the guy who cut his grass? I thought libs cared about immigrants. hmm.

As Edna stated...Romney didn't personally hire the man, his contractor did.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Not all illegals are named Jesus. But many are and Romney is the one giving away our Amercian jobs. Shame on him. Maybe he should take his own advice and self deport.

Still laughing

Quoting imamomzilla:

Are you mocking his religion or the name of an illegal...?

Still not laughing. :-(

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

There was a story about how he hires illegals to do his yard. Please tell me he tips...

Quoting imamomzilla:

Not cool. :-(

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

The Romney's need 5 dollars? What to tip Jesus?

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

What the hell is the big deal?All politicians do it.Oh it is only because Michelle Obama did it that it makes it so bad.So now that the right has insulted her over it lets make a big effing deal about Ann robme me doing it too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN