Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama Administration To Stop Deporting Younger Undocumented Immigrants And Grant Work Permits

Posted by   + Show Post

Obama Administration To Stop Deporting Younger Undocumented Immigrants And Grant Work Permits

Illegal Immigration Obama

By ALICIA A. CALDWELL AND JIM KUHNHENN, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON -- WASHINGTON - The Obama administration will stop deporting and begin granting work permits to younger undcoumented immigrants who came to the U.S. as children and have since led law-abiding lives. The election-year initiative addresses a top priority of an influential Latino electorate that has been vocal in its opposition to administration deportation policies.

The policy change, described to The Associated Press by two senior administration officials, will affect as many as 800,000 immigrants who have lived in fear of deportation. It also bypasses Congress and partially achieves the goals of the so-called DREAM Act, a long-sought but never enacted plan to establish a path toward citizenship for young people who came to the United States without documents but who have attended college or served in the military.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano was to announce the new policy Friday, one week before President Barack Obama plans to address the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials' annual conference in Orlando, Fla. Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney is scheduled to speak to the group on Thursday.

Under the administration plan, undocumented immigrants will be immune from deportation if they were brought to the United States before they turned 16 and are younger than 30, have been in the country for at least five continuous years, have no criminal history, graduated from a U.S. high school or earned a GED, or served in the military. They also can apply for a work permit that will be good for two years with no limits on how many times it can be renewed. The officials who described the plan spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss it in advance of the official announcement.

The policy will not lead toward citizenship but will remove the threat of deportation and grant the ability to work legally, leaving eligible immigrants able to remain in the United States for extended periods.

"Many of these young people have already contributed to our country in significant ways," Napolitano wrote in a memorandum describing the administration's action. "Prosecutorial discretion, which is used in so many other areas, is especially justified here."

The extraordinary move comes in an election year in which the Hispanic vote could be critical in swing states like Colorado, Nevada and Florida. While Obama enjoys support from a majority of Hispanic voters, Latino enthusiasm for the president has been tempered by the slow economic recovery, his inability to win congressional support for a broad overhaul of immigration laws and by his administration's aggressive deportation policy. Activists opposing his deportation policies last week mounted a hunger strike at an Obama campaign office in Denver, and other protests were planned for this weekend.

The change is likely to cause an outcry from congressional Republicans, who are sure to perceive Obama's actions as an end run around them. Republicans already have complained that previous administration uses of prosecutorial discretion in deportations amount to back-door amnesty. Romney and many Republican lawmakers want tighter border security measures before considering changes in immigration law. Romney opposes offering legal status to undocumented immigrants who attend college but has said he would do so for those who serve in the armed forces.

An NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll last month found Obama leading Romney among Hispanic voters 61 percent to 27 percent. But his administration's deportation policies have come under fire, and Latino leaders have raised the subject in private meetings with the president. In 2011, Immigration and Customs Enforcement deported a record 396,906 people and is expected to deport about 400,000 this year.

A December poll by the Pew Hispanic Center showed that 59 percent of Latinos disapproved of the president's handling of deportations.

The changes come a year after the administration announced plans to focus on deporting serious criminals, immigrants who pose threats to public safety and national security, and serious immigration law violators.

One of the officials said the latest policy change is just another step in the administration's evolving approach to immigration.

Under the plan, immigrants whose deportation cases are pending in immigration court will have to prove their eligibility for a reprieve to ICE, which will begin dealing with such cases in 60 days. Any immigrant who already has a deportation order and those who never have been encountered by immigration authorities will deal with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The exact details of how the program will work, including how much immigrants will have to pay to apply and what proof they will need, still are being worked out.

In making it harder to deport, the Obama administration is in essence employing the same eligibility requirements spelled out in the proposed DREAM Act.

The administration officials stopped short of calling the change an administrative DREAM Act - the name is an acronym for Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors - but the qualifications meet those laid out in a 2010 version that failed in the Senate after passing in the House. They said the DREAM Act, in some form, and comprehensive overhaul of the immigration system remained an administration priority.

Undocumented immigrant children won't be eligible to apply for the deportation waiver until they turn 16, but the officials said younger children won't be deported either.

Last year, Napolitano announced plans to review about 300,000 pending deportation cases and indefinitely suspend those that didn't meet department priorities. So far, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has reviewed more than 232,000 cases and decided to stop working on about 20,000. About 4,000 of those 20,000 have opted to keep fighting in court to stay in the United States legally. For the people who opted to close their cases, work permits are not guaranteed.

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 15, 2012 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VeronicaTex:

First:  Start investigating why we have drugs coming into this country.  Take a good hard, long look. You will find that certain Americans WANT it here.  MANY want them here.  They are addicted.  It is big business for them.  These people don't give a damn about how it gets here:  YES, Americans.  Just so it gets here.  GREEDY for money, willing to add to the corruption of other Americans:  Their OWN people.  How do you know it's not 11 million illegal aliens that ARE addicted..and their buddies are supplying their drugs by way of the border..  That was snarky, but after reading what you said below and in another post..you deserve it.

I know all about how people earn money and send it back to their families.  It is reality.  It is a fact of life.  These people care for their families and are willing to be away from them to make sure they survive there.  Please don't make that out to be a crime.  The crime was first commited when they came here illegally.  You just as well basically tell me that an illegal broke into my house and stole my t.v., (cuz we know I live a CUSHY life).  Then, by your standards of fairness, they would be able to see the spanish news channel (on MY t.v.) to make sure their family isn't "starving" in the old country.  ??? Makes as much sense.

As far as the rest:  I see you as a bitter person who can't get past pitying herself and is going after anyone to justify going on and on about your misfortune and targeting the illegal immigrant to make your pitiful points. AND this is why I'm being snarky.  I'm bitter?..because I saw my friends and neighbors  being used and abused by illegals professing to "love" them until that green (gold) card came their way..and/or citizenship. 

People who are breaking the law which you are "okay" with.

I live in Idaho..you need to talk to the people who are living in a state that is going bankrupt who have said they have too many illegals and don't want their tax dollars supporting this.  Now..."they" are indeed bitter. 

I try to give you examples of what they are doing and what Americans can't do using myself as an example and  you end up calling me bitter.. You were given my story and examples because you threw "starving" immigrants my way and told me HOW cushy Americans have it. I'm guessing by your standards my 18 yr old daughter was apparently a  spoiled clueless uncaring American because she didn't provide someone a green card by marrying them.  Yep, I honestly can admit to being bitter  over that.  That I will admit to...that really made me angry that some woman, a "mother" would ask someone to have their daughter commit to a fraudulent marriage for the sake of being in this country.  

The thing is this:  I am not like you nor any other people who choose to blame someone else for the predicaments I am in.  For goodness sakes Veronica, you are like the GURU for ILLEGALS..and you think I'm being sensitive.. I'm trying to tell you that there is more to illegals than just breaking the law..they are breaking hearts, and families.and stooping to really LOW things to stay in this country no matter to what cost to anyone else and/or their family...but oh well, we must not think of American families..no no..the illegal family MUST come first. 

I take responsibilty for myself that way. I wish the illegals had YOUR attitude..but alas they don't. 

I am very happy, at peace in my world. If this is "peace" coming from you, I would hate to see "agitated"..and on a mild spin cycle.

The difference between you and me is that perhaps I have taken the time to get to know other people, see their faces in front of me and get to know them all the way to their souls.. You "know" my husband's soul do ya?  You know my inlaws in Peru?  You know we are "bitter" people, me being born in "cushy" America and him being born in (I'm assuming "CUSHY") Peru.. You really don't have a clue do you..and this wouldn't HAVE anything to do with you being a teacher and getting a salary for teaching legal and/or illegal hispanic children would it.  Admit it, you have an investment in illegals..just like the drug cartel do. So maybe YOU are the greedy American. 

Veronica

mehamil1
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I used to tutor Asian immigrants in English. They soaked in every single thing I said and truly worked hard in learning the language. 

I am very happy this is happening. I wish it had gone through the proper channels but I doubt it would have happened if it went through congress. *sigh* 

I can see this helping so many people who consider themselves to be American's actually become American. My son's father is one of them. He was brought here by his mother when he was ten from Estonia. Now maybe he'll be able to get legitimate work and actually start paying child support. But I won't hold my breath on that one. 

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Whatever the motive for doing this-I believe it is a great decision on the part of our government.

No matter what:  Every human being deserves a chance to live.

For me, who has seen poverty-a much more severe poverty that in the USA, I understand why thousands have come here in the first place.

Seeing the face of the illegal immigrant, and hearing their stories of economic oppression, the brutal treatment by police and the ever-present drug traffic and now gang wars...I understand fully why they want to come.

The are looking to survive.

Once an illegal immigrant is here, I believe that they should make every effort to be naturalized, or at the very least become Permanent Residents.

I have seen in this local area through Bilingual teaching and attending two Hispanic Churches just how much of an effort is being made by the illegal immigrants, and in doing such, while maintaining their culture, are grateful for being in the United States with an international attitude of being good citizens no matter WHERE they are at.

I have taught Newcomers which will be able to benefit under this latest measure to "stop deporting younger undocumented immigrants and grant work permits."

I am delighted that this is happening.

Veronica

Momniscient
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeronicaTex
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

First:  Start investigating why we have drugs coming into this country.  Take a good hard, long look. You will find that certain Americans WANT it here.  MANY want them here.  They are addicted.  It is big business for them.  These people don't give a damn about how it gets here:  YES, Americans.  Just so it gets here.  GREEDY for money, willing to add to the corruption of other Americans:  Their OWN people.  How do you know it's not 11 million illegal aliens that ARE addicted..and their buddies are supplying their drugs by way of the border..  That was snarky, but after reading what you said below and in another post..you deserve it.

Yes, without a doubt you are being snarky ....I will be researching statistics on this issue.

I know all about how people earn money and send it back to their families.  It is reality.  It is a fact of life.  These people care for their families and are willing to be away from them to make sure they survive there.  Please don't make that out to be a crime.  The crime was first commited when they came here illegally.  You just as well basically tell me that an illegal broke into my house and stole my t.v., (cuz we know I live a CUSHY life).  Then, by your standards of fairness, they would be able to see the spanish news channel (on MY t.v.) to make sure their family isn't "starving" in the old country.  ??? Makes as much sense.

This rant also is snarky.

As far as the rest:  I see you as a bitter person who can't get past pitying herself and is going after anyone to justify going on and on about your misfortune and targeting the illegal immigrant to make your pitiful points. AND this is why I'm being snarky.  I'm bitter..because I saw my friends and neighbors  being used and abused by illegals professing to "love" them until that green (gold) card came their way..and/or citizenship. 

People who are breaking the law which you are "okay" with.

I live in Idaho..you need to talk to the people who are living in a state that is going bankrupt who have said they have too many illegals and don't want their tax dollars supporting this.  Now..."they" are indeed bitter. 

I try to give you examples of what they are doing and what Americans can't do using myself as an example and  you end up calling me bitter.. You were given my story and examples because you threw "starving" immigrants my way and told me HOW cushy Americans have it. I'm guessing by your standards my 18 yr old daughter was apparently a  spoiled clueless uncaring American because she didn't provide someone a green card by marrying them.  Yep, I honestly can admit to being bitter  over that.  That I will admit to...that really made me angry that some woman, a "mother" would ask someone to have their daughter commit to a fraudulent marriage for the sake of being in this country

The venom coming out of you mouth!!!!  

The thing is this:  I am not like you nor any other people who choose to blame someone else for the predicaments I am in.  For goodness sakes Veronica, you are like the GURU for ILLEGALS..and you think I'm being sensitive.. I'm trying to tell you that there is more to illegals than just breaking the law..they are breaking hearts, and families.and stooping to really LOW things to stay in this country no matter to what cost to anyone else and/or their family...but oh well, we must not think of American families..no no..the illegal family MUST come first. 

I take responsibilty for myself that way. I wish the illegals had YOUR attitude..but alas they don't. 

I am very happy, at peace in my world. If this is "peace" coming from you, I would hate to see "agitated"..and on a mild spin cycle.

The difference between you and me is that perhaps I have taken the time to get to know other people, see their faces in front of me and get to know them all the way to their souls.. You "know" my husband's soul do ya?  You know my inlaws in Peru?  You know we are "bitter" people, me being born in "cushy" America and him being born in (I'm assuming "CUSHY") Peru.. You really don't have a clue do you..and this wouldn't HAVE anything to do with you being a teacher and getting a salary for teaching legal and/or illegal hispanic children would it.  Admit it, you have an investment in illegals..just like the drug cartel do. So maybe YOU are the greedy American.

This conversation ends here and now with me.  I could go on for pages with my stance, but with you and what what you spewed out of your mouth with your fingers is just not worth my time to address any longer.

You are a VERY bitter woman...

You'd better get a handle on yourself or this bitterness will EAT you alive.

Veronica

VeronicaTex
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 6:47 PM

There's always hope, Mama.

Thank you for sharing.  You are one of the priveliged to have worked with grateful immigrants.  There are a lot of them out there. You have seen up close the faces of those people.  

That is what it takes for greater understanding of any human being:  getting close enough to hear their story.

Veronica

Quoting mehamil1:

I used to tutor Asian immigrants in English. They soaked in every single thing I said and truly worked hard in learning the language. 

I am very happy this is happening. I wish it had gone through the proper channels but I doubt it would have happened if it went through congress. *sigh* 

I can see this helping so many people who consider themselves to be American's actually become American. My son's father is one of them. He was brought here by his mother when he was ten from Estonia. Now maybe he'll be able to get legitimate work and actually start paying child support. But I won't hold my breath on that one. 

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Whatever the motive for doing this-I believe it is a great decision on the part of our government.

For me, who has seen poverty-a much more severe poverty that in the USA, I understand why thousands have come here in the first place.

Seeing the face of the illegal immigrant, and hearing their stories of economic oppression, the brutal treatment by police and the ever-present drug traffic and now gang wars...I understand fully why they want to come.

Once an illegal immigrant is here, I believe that they should make every effort to be naturalized, or at the very least become Permanent Residents.

I have seen in this local area through Bilingual teaching and attending two Hispanic Churches just how much of an effort is being made by the illegal immigrants, and in doing such, while maintaining their culture, are grateful for being in the United States with an international attitude of being good citizens no matter WHERE they are at.

I have taught Newcomers which will be able to benefit under this latest measure to "stop deporting younger undocumented immigrants and grant work permits."

Veronica

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

And the vast majority of them came here LEGALLY.

Quoting matreshka:

Well said. Survival is why my family came here. And most of our ancestors as well.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Veronica

m3lissa_16
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 7:57 PM

If they went to school in that state, and graduated from a high school in that state, why should they not get in state tuition?? They are NOT international students. Most states that allow this exception for undocumented students clearly stipulate that the student needs to have lived there for a number of years, and most require that that student attend HS in that state for 4 years. They didn't ask to be in the US illegally. Why should they be penalized for trying to become an asset to society? 

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Oh goodie, does this mean they still get the reduced rates for ILLEGALS in CO for college..or since they will be considered "legal" will they have to pay out of state tuitions just like the rest of out-of-staters...

Maybe my kids should throw away their birth certificates..go to Mexico (pretend to be Mexican like some pretend to be Americans) and come over the border as illegals...(sarcasm). I really think they would get a better shake than being Americans. (smh).  But with their luck AS Americans they would be arrested for FRAUD. (again sarcasm)  Nothing like being an American..where hard earned tax dollars are going to crap programs (like 20 million dollars going to a reality show in India) and people who break the law.

A sophomore from Denver who carries a 3.8 grade-point average, Hernandez said students like her deserve affordable tuition. The new rate, which will go into effect this fall, is $3,358 per semester, which is higher than in-state students, who pay $2,152, and lower than out-of-staters, who pay $7,992.

http://ourtaxdollarsatwork.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/state-college-in-denver-colorado-gives-special-rate-to-illegal-immigrants-breaking-the-law-but-paying-more-than-out-of-state-us-citizens/

LOVE THY NEIGHBOR. 

m3lissa_16
by Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I am so happy this is finally happening. It is the first step in a long road to immigration reform. We can't expect to fix our future if we don't include all children of this country. Whether they had the good fortune to be born here, or not, they are our future.

I have plenty of friends who were brought here as children, and for whatever reason their parents have not been able to obtain legal residency. Many want to be productive members of society, but find it nearly impossible to obtain a higher education, and better their lifestyle, without some kind of immigration reform. Thank you, Mr. President! I know my family will be better off, thanks to this.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM

NICE POLITICAL MOVE......

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Obama decided to go rogue and issue an executive order to make this happen.  That's not a law.  Any president going forward could rescind this order, and now they'll have a nice little list of illegals to deport.  I'm not saying someone will do that, but hell, I never thought a president would take the liberties Obama has with his position.  I don't trust our government, so if I were illegal, I wouldn't do it.

--------------------------------------------
You don't have to be judgmental and be like "Oh, he's using his freedom the wrong way!  I want him to use his freedom the way I use my freedom!"  You can't do that. You have to be tolerant.  People say "Oh no, you can't be tolerant. What if they do something you don't like?" Tolerance does not mean endorsement.  -- Ron Paul
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)