Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Crony Capitalism at it's finest. At the Taxpayers expense of course.

Posted by   + Show Post

It’s as if Solyndra never happened. The Obama Administration is giving $737 million to a Tonopah Solar, a subsidiary of California-based SolarReserve. PCG is an investment partner with SolarReserve. Nancy Pelosi’s brother-in-law happens to be the number two man at PCG.

Obama admires solar panels during a trip to Florida. (Yahoor)

Team Obama is spending $737 million to create 45 permanent jobs.
The Hill reported, via Free Republic:

The Energy Department announced Wednesday that is has finalized a $737 million loan guarantee for a Nevada solar project.

The decision comes several weeks after a California-based solar manufacturer that received a $535 million loan guarantee from the Obama administration in 2009 filed for bankruptcy and laid off 1,100 workers, setting off a firestorm in Washington.

The $737 million loan guarantee will help finance construction of the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project, a 110-megawatt solar-power-generating facility in Nye County, Nev. The project is sponsored by Tonopah Solar, a subsidiary of California-based SolarReserve.

Crescent Dunes is the latest solar project to receive a loan guarantee from the Energy Department in recent weeks. The department announced a $1.2 billion loan guarantee to Abengoa Solar for a solar generation project in California and a $150 million loan guarantee to 1366 Technologies for a Massachusetts solar manufacturing project earlier this month.

The Energy Department says the project will result in 600 construction jobs and 45 permanent jobs.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/184331-energy-department-approves-737-million-loan-guarantee-for-solar-project

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Hell no.Just ask anyone on the right.

Quoting Della529:

Doesn't this count?

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/gop-joins-obama-embracing-crony-capitalism/531836

Della529
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM
3 moms liked this

I just don't understand all this bi-partisan bickering and finger pointing.

I'm tired of it.  Both sides are killing this country and we all sit around pointing fingers at each other while the politicos do whatever they want anyway.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting Della529:

Doesn't this count?

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/gop-joins-obama-embracing-crony-capitalism/531836

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

Like Groundhog Day...it never ends.

banging head into wall

Isn't that the truth.. Taxpayers get zinged all the time..

You won’t believe the taxpayer-funded handouts some businesses are receiving; companies making excellent profits and very capable of funding their own marketing campaigns. But Congress says the money must be given away, so it is. $200 billion annually.

Waste report: Tax dollars going to Indian reality TV, overseas advertising

As the government struggles to deal with the rising national debt, Sen. Tom Coburn’s office is out with a report detailing ways that the country — and taxpayers — could save some money, including cutting subsidies to an Indian fashion reality television show and ending funds to help multimillion-dollar companies advertise.

The report, entitled â€śTreasure Map: The Market Access Program’s Bounty of Waste, Loot and Spoils plundered from Taxpayers,” looks at the Market Assistance Program (MAP), which is run by United States Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS). FAS’s mission is to help U.S. agricultural companies sell their products in foreign markets.

The purpose of the MAP program is to help lessen businesses’ costs for overseas marketing.

Congressional spending rules mandate that the program be funded, but its funds do not appear to be going to good use.

According to Coburn’s report, much of the money is used to help multimillion-dollar companies whose budgets could likely afford to pay for the marketing. For instance, Blue Diamond Growers, a big tree nut company, “reported $3.3 billion in sales over the past five years,” meaning, “its annual sales are almost three times the amount USDA spends each year on the entire MAP program. Yet the company has received $28.2 million from MAP since 1999 to market its almonds in foreign countries.

Another recipient is a reality TV show in India called “Let’s Design” — a fashion design show in which contestants use cotton to design outfits. The program was created by Cotton Council International, which got $20 million from MAP to help it do so. The purpose of the show is to promote the use of cotton abroad. According to the report, in India, people are unlikely to buy American cotton as the country “produces close to twice the amount of cotton as American farmers, and is a net exporter.”

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Well that's what we're being told.

But the facts don't add up. Because we know there is oil in Alaska underneathe all that ice, and it isn't all tapped. And we know that there is more oil in the Gulf, despite all the problems that had happened there. There are oil fields even in California.

The way I see it, our country's been crying that the well's dry while scrambling to buy up as much oil elsewhere. Could you imagine if the world is still running on oil, once we bought everything up, and then Suddenly started REALLY drilling on our soil?

Wow, then we'd be the oil king pins of the world. We would have bled Saudi Arabia dry, and we'd have everyone beating down our door trying to buy oil.

I can't believe, with all the ice covered regions around the world today, that there wouldn't be a shred of oil left somehwhere. I mean, there are whole continents covered in ice, that no one's tapped for oil.

Quoting mehamil1:

Or, another attempt to try and get it right. Solar and wind power really do need to be researched and developed. We've got 4 billion years left on the sun. We maybe have a few more decades of oil and natural gas and all that. 

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Did the Truthteam tell you about the NDAA that Obama signed?

Did the Truthteam tell you about Obama's selective service card?

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting Della529:

Doesn't this count?

mehamil1
by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM

But is it worth negatively affecting those environments when we can utilize renewable resources like sunlight and wind? Or even water turbines in the ocean. hydropower. Utilize the currents in the ocean. 

There may be oil in all of those places. However, is it worth it when there are alternative options? Solar and wind have their issues but I'm fully confident in the human ability to create more efficient ways of utilizing the existing technology and making it better. Look at how far we've come in 100 years with the air plane and cars. Look at how far we have come with every single piece of technology. Solar and wind power is no different. What is lacking is the will to do it. 

Quoting buttersworth:

But the facts don't add up. Because we know there is oil in Alaska underneathe all that ice, and it isn't all tapped. And we know that there is more oil in the Gulf, despite all the problems that had happened there. There are oil fields even in California.

The way I see it, our country's been crying that the well's dry while scrambling to buy up as much oil elsewhere. Could you imagine if the world is still running on oil, once we bought everything up, and then Suddenly started REALLY drilling on our soil?

Wow, then we'd be the oil king pins of the world. We would have bled Saudi Arabia dry, and we'd have everyone beating down our door trying to buy oil.

I can't believe, with all the ice covered regions around the world today, that there wouldn't be a shred of oil left somehwhere. I mean, there are whole continents covered in ice, that no one's tapped for oil.

Quoting mehamil1:

Or, another attempt to try and get it right. Solar and wind power really do need to be researched and developed. We've got 4 billion years left on the sun. We maybe have a few more decades of oil and natural gas and all that. 

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Defense contractors made and are making so much none on our wars. Far more than the enlisted service person. It's sick.

We need to seriously get involved in renewable resources. Rather than wars.over finite resources.

Quoting mehamil1:

A lot of money was wasted on GM and all the banks for the bailout. A lot of money is wasted proping up a lot of companies. I'm not going to try and understand this. It's beyond comprehension. 

They are all corrupt and they all benefit from these schemes. I can only imagine what Dick Cheny got from Halliburton for the war. Politics and corruption go hand in hand. It does not matter what side of the political spectrum one is on. This is one of many. 

I take issue when either side posts a story like this and points a finger at the other guy. Completely ignoring everything their side did and then some. Everyone over there does it. This is a symptom of a larger problem in government. 

Quoting 4kidz916:

I agree with you but a lot of money was wasted on Solyndra.  I hope that before they sink this much money again, they'll have their ducks in a row.  My question is, do they this time or is this just a give me where Nancy's BIL pockets some cash?

Quoting mehamil1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I know that we agree often, but statements such as this make me insane.

What were you basing that on?

Quoting godotherightthi:

I don't disagree.  But even those not from the private sector are selling out (Obama).  That's why the government needs to get out of the market altogether.  That's why voters need to pay attention, get informed, and give a new guy (or gal) a chance.  Integrity is a huge factor for me when I cast my vote. 

I didn't like Obama's political stance overall when ran in '08, but I felt (at the time) that he was sincere when he said he would end the "back door deals" - it was one aspect that I hoped he would succeed in...unfortunately, he lacked the integrity to follow through.  Time to give a new guy a chance (at least for me, maybe for someone else their vote will be for a gal), Obama failed in every aspect of his campaign promises.

Quoting mehamil1:

And who are the people who get elected to office? Where did they come from? Who did they work for before they became elected officials? More often than not, the people who are elected came from the private sector and then go to work to help their former companies. That is how it's being done today when it comes to government. When I look at the government, I see corporations. They have completely infiltrated the government and twisted it all to the benefit of companies at the expense of ordinary Americans. 

Quoting godotherightthi:

This is why the government needs to get out of the private sector.  Safety?  Yes.  Fraud?  Yes.  Propping up a company through loans and grants only hinders the free market and gives one company an unearned edge over others.  It's an unfair system and a true capitalist disagrees with all these grants and loan programs...not just this one example.

...but this one example is current, under a current representative who is currently running for office - I think it's fair game for discussion.

Quoting mehamil1:

A lot of money was wasted on GM and all the banks for the bailout. A lot of money is wasted proping up a lot of companies. I'm not going to try and understand this. It's beyond comprehension. 

They are all corrupt and they all benefit from these schemes. I can only imagine what Dick Cheny got from Halliburton for the war. Politics and corruption go hand in hand. It does not matter what side of the political spectrum one is on. This is one of many. 

I take issue when either side posts a story like this and points a finger at the other guy. Completely ignoring everything their side did and then some. Everyone over there does it. This is a symptom of a larger problem in government. 

asfriend
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Actually I am hoping that the plan is to bleed everyone else dry, and then we have the market cornered.

I don't believe we are that bright though.

Quoting buttersworth:

Quoting mehamil1:

godotherightthi
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I said it in the sentence - my own feelings.  I usually have a good nose for fraud, but Obama did trick me on that one.  Don't worry though, I don't use my feelings alone when it comes to actual policy, it's more of a hybrid...heart AND brain.  I figure God gave me both for a reason.

I do think Obama could have done more to change the direction of this country if he had kept that one promise.  Unfortunatly he couldn't even get honesty right.

Quoting asfriend:

I know that we agree often, but statements such as this make me insane.

What were you basing that on?

Quoting godotherightthi:

I don't disagree.  But even those not from the private sector are selling out (Obama).  That's why the government needs to get out of the market altogether.  That's why voters need to pay attention, get informed, and give a new guy (or gal) a chance.  Integrity is a huge factor for me when I cast my vote. 

I didn't like Obama's political stance overall when ran in '08, but I felt (at the time) that he was sincere when he said he would end the "back door deals" - it was one aspect that I hoped he would succeed in...unfortunately, he lacked the integrity to follow through.  Time to give a new guy a chance (at least for me, maybe for someone else their vote will be for a gal), Obama failed in every aspect of his campaign promises.

Quoting mehamil1:

And who are the people who get elected to office? Where did they come from? Who did they work for before they became elected officials? More often than not, the people who are elected came from the private sector and then go to work to help their former companies. That is how it's being done today when it comes to government. When I look at the government, I see corporations. They have completely infiltrated the government and twisted it all to the benefit of companies at the expense of ordinary Americans. 

Quoting godotherightthi:

This is why the government needs to get out of the private sector.  Safety?  Yes.  Fraud?  Yes.  Propping up a company through loans and grants only hinders the free market and gives one company an unearned edge over others.  It's an unfair system and a true capitalist disagrees with all these grants and loan programs...not just this one example.

...but this one example is current, under a current representative who is currently running for office - I think it's fair game for discussion.

Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)