Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

(national journal)

June 15, 2012

When Mitt Romney reminds everyone of his enormous personal success, it creates serious problems for a candidate already struggling to connect with average Americans. Every time Romney says he knows NFL team owners, or NASCAR team owners, it adds to the perception that he's out of touch with average Americans suffering to make ends meet.

But what about President Obama? He's not in Romney territory, but the president is doing pretty well for himself -- and he likes mentioning it on the stump.

"I don't believe that giving someone like me a $250,000 tax cut is more valuable to our future than hiring transformative teachers or providing financial aid to the children of a middle-class family," Obama said yesterday at Cuyahoga Community College in Cleveland.

It's hardly the first time Obama has referenced his own good financial fortune. "If [Congress] vote[s] to keep giving tax breaks to people like me -- tax breaks our country can't afford -- then they're going to have to explain to you where that money comes from," Obama said in a weekly radio address in March.

He's telling the truth: On top of his $400,000 yearly salary, Obama made between $150,000 and $1.1 million on book sales last year, according to his personal financial disclosure [pdf]. All told, he's worth more than $6 million, according to Forbes' calculations.

Obama uses his wealth to make the point that some wealthy people believe their tax rates should be higher. But at a time when Obama's campaign is trying to label Romney as hopelessly out of touch because of his massive wealth, perhaps Obama might want to avoid reminding voters that he's certainly better off than he was four years ago.

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Replies (211-211):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Per policy, Romney pays taxes and promotes policy where he will continue to pay taxes, and where other wealthy people will continue to pay more taxes.  Per policy, Romney believes in sharing his success.

Per policy, your statement is still incorrect.

Quoting LBAY:

Well, that's very nice for him. But IMO  the best way to share your success is to support a fair tax policy -- and allow that money to go to things like health care, education and programs that help create more middle class families. Charities are a nice thing to do and do help a certain subset of society (the people direclty affected by these particular charities) but don't have as large of an impact. I have always said since the begining of this conversation that for me, I was not referring to the personal charities (although I did take acception with the idea that contributions to the LDS church were even charity at all)-- But I was referring to the tax policies. And this doesn't change that.

Quoting

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN