Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

It could be worse, remember Cap and Trade?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

Thanks in large part to the Tea Party and Congressional Republicans, the second would-be signature piece for Obama's term died in the Senate in 2009. 

If you look at what happened with Europe's version, one could call the US bill a bill FOR the 1 percent: it would have cost middle class families more in energy bills and it would have made a select few speculators and traders very rich, without actually doing much for emission reductions.

It is safe to say that IF Cap and Trade had passed, the average American would be in a deeper hole of financial pain.  Also, by extension Obama would then have been much lower in the polls.  But, as it stands, instead Obama led an end-run around Congress through the EPA, effectively putting constraints on tha American coal industry.  Now it is those pockets of coal producers who are feeling the brunt of failing livelihoods; with a Cap and Trade bill, the coal industry pain would have been combined with utilities pain for MOST Americans. In effect, by killing the bill in the Senate, those "obstructionist" Republicans and a comparative few Dems spared the middle class, and by extension, Obama's reputation, in part.

Anyone see how sometimes partisanship can be benefical to the everyday American?  Can anyone, truly and honestly, say that the GOP has only stopped progress?  The job of any element of government that balances powers is to stop bad and harmful ideas.  In the case of cap and Trade, the GOP stopped a corporatist, middle-class-harming, bureacratic boondoggle in its tracks.

If the GOP was really only about seeing Obama fail, the quicker way would have been to let Waxman-Markey pass while raising voices of discontent, but that would have hurt millions of Americans in the process, even if it would have created a more extreme anti-Obama mandate now in 2012.  If Congress and the GOP really were just led along by corporate puppetmasters, then Waxman-Markay would have passed.  Thankfully, something in America still works and there is less of a mess to clean up starting January 2013.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

This OP is dedicated to the cynics who believe that nothing goods happens in DC. 

Reconsider the pessimism ;)

asfriend
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM

It is much easier to blame the puppet masters, vote third party and then complain one has no voice.

It is much more difficult to cultivate a curious mind.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Quoting asfriend:

It is much easier to blame the puppet masters, vote third party and then complain one has no voice.

True!

godotherightthi
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't read the whole list - would this make it 1002?

mehamil1
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Curiosity is what led me to discover the puppet masters. And it was Obama failing epically that drove me to investigate. 

But please, keep taking pot shots at me in many threads on this board. I just don't care. I dealt with bully's much worse than you in grade school. 

Quoting asfriend:

asfriend
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Wow perceptions really do vary -

You think that I am bullying you, other posters are upset with you because you admit that you might sometimes agree with me.

Do you feel bullied by yourself?

Quoting mehamil1:

Curiosity is what led me to discover the puppet masters. And it was Obama failing epically that drove me to investigate. 

But please, keep taking pot shots at me in many threads on this board. I just don't care. I dealt with bully's much worse than you in grade school. 

Quoting asfriend:

mehamil1
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:34 PM

*sigh* Oh my God I don't care. I really don't. I can't muster up a response because I just don't give a shit. 

Quoting asfriend:

You think that I am bullying you, other posters are upset with you because you admit that you might sometimes agree with me.

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting asfriend:

asfriend
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:53 PM

But that was a response. Albeit not a very good one.

Quoting mehamil1:

*sigh* Oh my God I don't care. I really don't. I can't muster up a response because I just don't give a shit. 

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting asfriend:

mehamil1
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM

My son would say something like that. He's 8. 

Quoting asfriend:

But that was a response. Albeit not a very good one.

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting asfriend:

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I did think of you when I wrote the OP...perhaps the "puppetmasters" got to Europe with emissions trading, but they did not get through to the US Senate in 2009 on emissions trading.  People can make a difference, so can our representatives.

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting asfriend:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN