Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Deportation of Illegal College Kids Isn't Really a Problem In America - Why are we talking about it?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM
  • 3 Replies

Deportation of Illegal College Kids Isn't Really a Problem In America

Posted by Jenny Erikson on June 24, 2012 

obama Recently the Secretary of Homeland Security, Ms. Janet "the-system-works" Napolitano, announced that young people that had been brought to the country illegally as children and raised here would not be deported. Additionally, they’d be eligible to apply for work authorization.

You know, because deportation of college-aged illegal Americans is such a huge problem right now. *Insert eye roll here*

This is a distraction from the real issues. Seriously, why talk about the economy, or energy exploration, or skyrocketing health care costs when we can talk about a problem that doesn’t really exist? After all, school-aged children are entitled to a public school education, regardless of their immigration status, and the schools aren’t even allowed to inquire about it. 

Less than 4% of illegal aliens were deported in 2011, and the majority of those were criminals. No one on either side of the aisle is suggesting a massive roundup and deportation of all ‘undocumented citizens.’

This is just the latest ploy by the Team Obama to change the topic of conversation so that maybe we’ll forget about $4/gallon gasoline or record-breaking economic downturn. By saying that the Democratic administration wants to offer a chance for children not to be ripped from the only home they have known and sent back to third world countries, the assumption is that that is what the Republicans want to do.

On the contrary, GOP leaders from across the conservative spectrum have put forth plans and ideas that suggest a deep compassion for young people that were brought here by their parents, through no action of their own.

Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said in a 2011 interview, “Those people who have come here illegally … should be able to sign up for permanent residency or citizenship, but they should not be given a special pathway.” This is consistent with the Republican anti-amnesty stance, while offering illegal aliens the chance to stay here and obtain legal status.

Florida Senator and Tea Party darling Marco Rubio offers some grace to parents that bring their children here. He writes in his new book An American Son:

Many people who came here illegally are doing exactly what we would do if we lived in a country where we couldn't feed our families. If my kids went to sleep hungry every night and my country didn't give me an opportunity to feed them, there isn't a law, no matter how restrictive, that would prevent me from coming here.

Rubio is the son of Cuban immigrants, and is a natural born citizen.

Rather than debate whether or not upstanding citizens should be deported based on their current immigration status, maybe we could talk about securing our borders, and keeping taxpayer money from being funneled to Mexican drug cartels through Operation Fast and Furious. That is a border issue that actually matters this election cycle.

What do you think? Is this an issue worth debating, or is it a smokescreen to divert attention from what's really going on?

This post is part of a weekly conversation with our Moms Matter 2012 political bloggers. To see the original question and see what all the bloggers had to say, read What Do You Think of President Obama's Immigration Decision?

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
m3lissa_16
by Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a problem if you are not dealing with it on a personal level.  But it is very sad and needs to be dealt with. I do not think it is appropriate to be laughing at or mocking the misfortune of students who are only trying to make the best of their situations and become an educated person. Yes, there are bigger issues, but that does not make the value of this topic any less.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I'm sorry, but perhaps if the "author" of this would like me to seriously consider her viewpoint, she might be a little more....  serious about it.

"Insert eyeroll here"  ??

Jambo4
Why are there so many trolls on CM? I am so sorry your life is unfulfilled.
Yesterday at 3:28 PM
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Are people really talking about it?  I must have missed it because I certainly haven't.

I didn't even know we had a "Moms Matter" section anymore.  Apparently they don't matter enough to be in the tabs on top like they used to be.  I can't even find mention of it other than the space to the right (that I avoid looking because that's where the ads are..lol)

Find out more about Mitt Romney.
 Click on Mitt to visit Mitt Romney for President group at Cafemom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)