Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama Booed at Boston Fundraiser OUCH!

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 16 Replies

Takes a lot to get booed at a fundraiser. I’d love to know why his speechwriters thought mocking Red Sox fans for losing one of their beloved players would be a wise move.

(weaselzippers)

BOSTON (CBS) — Being booed was probably the last thing President Barack Obama expected from the crowd at a Symphony Hall fundraiser Monday night, but that happened when the president “thanked” Boston for Kevin Youkilis, who was just traded to the Chicago White Sox.

“I’m just saying, he’s going to have to change the color of his socks,” the president said laughing.

Youkilis was traded from the Red Sox, to Obama’s favorite team on Sunday for infielder Brent Lillibridge and pitcher Zach Stewart.

“I didn’t think I was going to get any boos out of here,” he said. “I should not have brought up baseball, I understand, my mistake, you got to know your crowd.”

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shimamab
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Boston has no sense of humor when it comes to their sports teams :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Red Sox fans are straight up serious about their team.

asfriend
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault.

Crazy Red Sox Fans -

That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault,

Everything is about color with that boy -

That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault.

_Kissy_
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Lol. Yes they are

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Red Sox fans are straight up serious about their team.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this

This wont be the last time he will get booed..I'm sure.  His sparkle has gone down the tinkle..

asfriend
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Why the hate?

Barack Obama just wants to make sure everyone has the right color sox.

candlegal
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Bet he is being booed again for this

Obama leaves Hub on hook for fundraising stop

Outraged taxpayer advocates slammed President Obama for lavishly politicking on the taxpayers’ dime last night, as Boston ran up a hefty tab providing security so the Democratic incumbent could breeze in and out of town for a series of re-election events.

“It’s an atrocious waste of taxpayer money,” said David Tuerck, a government ethics watchdog with Suffolk University. “There is no taxpayer interest in any of this. It’s all about getting him re-elected, and the campaign should pay for everything.”

Mayor Thomas M. Menino rebuffed questions about security costs.

“(It’s) the president of the United States, and I respect the office he holds,” Menino told WBZ-radio. “I’m not gonna let petty politics play any part of what the presidential visit (means) to the city of Boston.”

Menino added that he wants to make sure the president has a great visit to Boston.

“It’s very exciting for the city. I’ll just say we’re honored by having him here tonight,” Menino said.

City Hall refused to provide a cost estimate, but one city official predicted it could run between $150,000 to $200,000 to provide security for Obama, in town on a $3.1 million fundraising tear. The Boston Police Department had hordes of officers outside Hamersley’s Bistro in the South End and at Symphony Hall. Boston police will also likely provide security as Obama stays the night and leaves this morning.

“Given that many municipalities are facing budget crunches of their own, squeezing them even further for political events can grate on a lot of residents’ nerves,” said Pete Sepp, vice president of the conservative-leaning National Taxpayers Union. He argued that presidents from both political parties should pick up their campaign tabs.

“This is a major problem of incumbency. They utilize Air Force One and all trappings to make political trips, and they only pay a portion of it with their campaign funds,” he said.

Obama, who gave a warm endorsement to Elizabeth Warren during last night’s fundraiser in the packed Symphony Hall, focused on rallying supporters. He admitted his race against Mitt Romney will be tough but urged voters to stick with him.

“This election will be close. It will be close because there are a lot of folks who are going through a tough time,” he said. “I believe in you and if you believe in me ... then I need you to stand with me for a second term as president.”

Obama’s campaign pays for a portion of the $182,000-an-hour cost of operating Air Force One and his presidential motorcade, said campaign officials last night, but they did not detail how much.

The cost of protecting Obama almost halted a campaign visit yesterday in Durham, N.H., where residents protested paying for the political event. A private donor eventually covered the cost of the trip to the city, which only served to raise objections among conservatives about the secrecy.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Quoting asfriend:

Why the hate?

Barack Obama just wants to make sure everyone has the right color sox.

Or:  baseball equals  'American" ergo Obama doesn't get it..

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Quoting asfriend:

Crazy Red Sox Fans -

That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault, That was not Obama's fault,

Everything is about color with that boy -

LOL.. Ok. This was funny!
gsprofval
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:49 PM

tee hee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN