Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Supreme Court upholds heathcare law

Posted by   + Show Post
Obamacare

WASHINGTON -- The individual health insurance mandate is constitutional, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday, upholding the central provision of President Barack Obama's signature Affordable Care Act.

The majority opinion, written by Chief Justice John Roberts, upheld the mandate as a tax, although said it was not valid as an exercise of Congress' commerce clause power.

The decision in Florida v. Department of Health and Human Services comes as something of a surprise after the generally hostile reception the law received during the six hours of oral arguments held over three days in March.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Replies (141-150):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM

2011: ObamaCare punishes people who are personally responsible and have a Health Savings Account.   Increases the additional tax for Health Savings Account withdrawals prior to age 65 that are not used for qualified medical expenses from 10% to 20%. Qualified medical?  Means you have to PAY for a Dr to tell you what your HSA can be used towards.

2012: Supreme Court rules ObamaCare IS a TAX.  A tax that will negatively impact small businesses and middle class Americans. Obama LIED.

Per ObamaCare:

2013: Imposes a 2.3% excise tax on all medical device manufacturers. Who is going to pay for this in the end?  

2014: All individuals must buy a government approved health insurance policy or face IRS tax penalties of up to $2,250 per family.  That penalty doe NOTHING for personal responsibility. 

2017: States may allow businesses with more than 100 employees to buy insurance on their exchange. Wait?  I thought if you liked your healthcare, you could keep it?  Ohhh well, Obama will be long gone by 2017.  His LIES won't matter as much to those who voted for him.

2018: Imposes 40% tax on what the government deems high-cost health insurance plans.

BoysManDog
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Just a little blast from the past from the lying liar in chief and what he told you about HIS tax increase:

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS:  …during the campaign.  Under this mandate, the government is forcing people to spend money, fining you if you don’t. How is that not a tax?

OBAMA:  Well, hold on a second, George. Here — here’s what’s happening.  You and I are both paying $900, on average — our families — in higher premiums because of uncompensated care.  Now what I’ve said is that if you can’t afford health insurance, you certainly shouldn’t be punished for that.  That’s just piling on. If, on the other hand, we’re giving tax credits, we’ve set up an exchange, you are now part of a big pool, we’ve driven down the costs, we’ve done everything we can and you actually can afford health insurance, but you’ve just decided, you know what, I want to take my chances.  And then you get hit by a bus and you and I have to pay for the emergency room care, that’s…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  That may be, but it’s still a tax increase.

OBAMA:  No.  That’s not true, George.  The — for us to say that you’ve got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase.  What it’s saying is, is that we’re not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore than the fact that right now everybody in America, just about, has to get auto insurance. Nobody considers that a tax increase. People say to themselves, that is a fair way to make sure that if you hit my car, that I’m not covering all the costs.

STEPHANOPOULOS:  But it may be fair, it may be good public policy…

OBAMA:  No, but — but, George, you — you can’t just make up that language and decide that that’s called a tax increase.  Any…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  Here’s the…

OBAMA:  What — what — if I — if I say that right now your premiums are going to be going up by 5 or 8 or 10 percent next year and you say well, that’s not a tax increase; but, on the other hand, if I say that I don’t want to have to pay for you not carrying coverage even after I give you tax credits that make it affordable, then…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  I — I don’t think I’m making it up. Merriam Webster’s Dictionary: Tax — “a charge, usually of money, imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes.”

OBAMA:  George, the fact that you looked up Merriam’s Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you’re stretching a little bit right now.  Otherwise, you wouldn’t have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition.  I mean what…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  Well, no, but…

OBAMA:  …what you’re saying is…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  I wanted to check for myself.  But your critics say it is a tax increase.

OBAMA:  My critics say everything is a tax increase.  My critics say that I’m taking over every sector of the economy.  You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we’re going to have an individual mandate or not, but…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  But you reject that it’s a tax increase?

OBAMA:  I absolutely reject that notion.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2009/09/obama-mandate-is-not-a-tax/

And now you have the largest tax increase in American history, and the president lied to you about it.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:12 PM
3 moms liked this

Yup.  Proof the President of The United States LIED to the people.  

Quoting BoysManDog:

Just a little blast from the past from the lying liar in chief and what he told you about HIS tax increase:

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS:  …during the campaign.  Under this mandate, the government is forcing people to spend money, fining you if you don’t. How is that not a tax?

OBAMA:  Well, hold on a second, George. Here — here’s what’s happening.  You and I are both paying $900, on average — our families — in higher premiums because of uncompensated care.  Now what I’ve said is that if you can’t afford health insurance, you certainly shouldn’t be punished for that.  That’s just piling on. If, on the other hand, we’re giving tax credits, we’ve set up an exchange, you are now part of a big pool, we’ve driven down the costs, we’ve done everything we can and you actually can afford health insurance, but you’ve just decided, you know what, I want to take my chances.  And then you get hit by a bus and you and I have to pay for the emergency room care, that’s…

OBAMA:  No.  That’s not true, George.  The — for us to say that you’ve got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase.  What it’s saying is, is that we’re not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore than the fact that right now everybody in America, just about, has to get auto insurance. Nobody considers that a tax increase. People say to themselves, that is a fair way to make sure that if you hit my car, that I’m not covering all the costs.

OBAMA:  No, but — but, George, you — you can’t just make up that language and decide that that’s called a tax increase.  Any…

OBAMA:  What — what — if I — if I say that right now your premiums are going to be going up by 5 or 8 or 10 percent next year and you say well, that’s not a tax increase; but, on the other hand, if I say that I don’t want to have to pay for you not carrying coverage even after I give you tax credits that make it affordable, then…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  I — I don’t think I’m making it up. Merriam Webster’s Dictionary: Tax — “a charge, usually of money, imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes.”

OBAMA:  George, the fact that you looked up Merriam’s Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you’re stretching a little bit right now.  Otherwise, you wouldn’t have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition.  I mean what…

STEPHANOPOULOS:  I wanted to check for myself.  But your critics say it is a tax increase.

OBAMA:  My critics say everything is a tax increase.  My critics say that I’m taking over every sector of the economy.  You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we’re going to have an individual mandate or not, but…

And now you have the largest tax increase in American history, and the president lied to you about it.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You think his supporters care that he lied? To them the ends justifies the means.Who cares that this will hurt the middle income earners the most.They worked hard to get where they are only to be brought back down..meh so what as long as they get theirs by others work.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Hypocrites suporting Liars. That is how I see it.

Quoting tnmomofive:

You think his supporters care that he lied? To them the ends justifies the means.Who cares that this will hurt the middle income earners the most.They worked hard to get where they are only to be brought back down..meh so what as long as they get theirs by others work.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Well they think it will help middle income people which is a big laugh.No not in the least..premiums will rise and then those who could afford some health insurance before will no longer be able to...yayyy go Obama yes we can screw the whole country.

asfriend
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jcrew6:

2011: ObamaCare punishes people who are personally responsible and have a Health Savings Account.   Increases the additional tax for Health Savings Account withdrawals prior to age 65 that are not used for qualified medical expenses from 10% to 20%. Qualified medical?  Means you have to PAY for a Dr to tell you what your HSA can be used towards.

2012: Supreme Court rules ObamaCare IS a TAX.  A tax that will negatively impact small businesses and middle class Americans. Obama LIED.

Per ObamaCare:

2013: Imposes a 2.3% excise tax on all medical device manufacturers. Who is going to pay for this in the end?  

2014: All individuals must buy a government approved health insurance policy or face IRS tax penalties of up to $2,250 per family.  That penalty doe NOTHING for personal responsibility. 

2017: States may allow businesses with more than 100 employees to buy insurance on their exchange. Wait?  I thought if you liked your healthcare, you could keep it?  Ohhh well, Obama will be long gone by 2017.  His LIES won't matter as much to those who voted for him.

2018: Imposes 40% tax on what the government deems high-cost health insurance plans.

I'm sorry, but the people that support Obamacare see your post as this:

rofiorfinhrpijrilkmn[orpjherfmorejhgfprkjerjfeh

fmreom;fij4ojfoprejffperkforjnfgrnlfkerjiujfjkerfre

fmorkf;ojrf[prepfgbipurhf4rfonkofpre;jrjhorkfrjf

fkropejforjfrerlfrjfgrofjrkrjgrfgjripojgr0tgj[gfjfjrrj;

\mfirjferfprejferjfjjfe[of-reiujptuj4[ro43]ifj[efpefpu0ri

asfriend
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting BoysManDog:

You have to lie to the masses to control people, all the great ones did it.

Hilter, Stalin, Lenin, Putin, Castro

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:37 PM

OMG, NOW THAT IS FUNNY.....  Sure beats relying on a Facebook Post as fact.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting jcrew6:

Per ObamaCare:

I'm sorry, but the people that support Obamacare see your post as this:

rofiorfinhrpijrilkmn[orpjherfmorejhgfprkjerjfeh

fmreom;fij4ojfoprejffperkforjnfgrnlfkerjiujfjkerfre

fmorkf;ojrf[prepfgbipurhf4rfonkofpre;jrjhorkfrjf

fkropejforjfrerlfrjfgrofjrkrjgrfgjripojgr0tgj[gfjfjrrj;

\mfirjferfprejferjfjjfe[of-reiujptuj4[ro43]ifj[efpefpu0ri

rachelrothchild
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Our president signed this into law.  The Supreme Court upheld it.

Is the IRS not run by the federal government?  Is the government not going to collect the penalties?  The government is involved even more now-one more step towards government-run healthcare.  Do people not see what is happening?  Do you think it's going to stop here?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I agree that premiums will continue to rise. 

I don't agree that the government is now "running" healthcare.  I think that is a bit hyperbolic.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Everyone is going to be paying higher premiums.  How do you think we are going to cover 30 million families that aren't insured?

If the government is running healthcare, they fund it through taxation.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I'm not arguing that it is just.  I'm saying that people who already have health insurance will not have to pay the tax penalty.  Rocketracer asked who would have to pay the tax, any you said that everyone would.  I was just pointing out that if you already have insurance, you don't have to pay the tax, so it doesn't affect everyone. 

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Where's the choice there?  You either buy the insurance or you pay a penalty.  There is no longer the option of not having insurance (not paying).  Either way, they are getting your money.  Plenty of people opt out now because they don't use their insurance for anything-they use alternative medicine, chiropractic, homebirth, etc.  A lot of insurance plans do not cover these things, or they provide minimal coverage, so it's not worth it to have insurance.  Now these people are going to have to pay for all of this out of pocket, plus pay a penalty for something they won't use.  How is that just?  Tell me how families who are already struggling can afford this.

Our chiropractic visits cost less because we don't use insurance.  Insurance just makes everything artificially expensive.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

You only have to pay the penalty if you don't have insurance.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Everyone

Quoting rocketracer:

So, it's a tax? Who is going to have to pay the tax?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN