Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GOP Pennsylvania state senator: Voter ID law is about 'suppressing votes'

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM
  • 42 Replies

Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai said Saturday that a recent voter ID law passed in his state "would allow Governor Romney to win Pennsylvania." He included this statement in a list of his party's accomplishments, which critics of the legislation—including a Pennsylvania state senator—say unintentionally revealed the true intentions behind the law.

"The classic definition of a gaffe is when a politician accidentally says something that's true," said Michael Waldman, president of NYU Law's Brennan Center for Justice, on Tuesday's PoliticsNation. "It's as if he took truth serum. I don't know what he was thinking."

Voter ID legislation bars individuals from voting unless they present government-issued identification at polling places. Critics of these laws are not intended to reduce fraud so much as they are supposed to prevent traditionally Democratic constituencies—such as the poor, African Americans and young people, who are all less likely to have the required identification—from voting.

"Voter impersonation, which is the only form of voter fraud that voter ID would address, never occurs in Pennsylvania," said State Senator Daylin Leach, a Pennsylvania Democrat, during the same episode. "There's not one single documented case of it in ten years. This was always about suppressing votes of people who vote the wrong way."

According to the Brennan Center, ten states have passed voter ID laws since the beginning of 2011, including the key swing states of Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin. On PoliticsNation, Waldman estimated that the law would affect as many as 11% of eligible voters nationwide.

In May 1, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that ACLU of Pennsylvania and other groups were filing a lawsuit to have Pennsylvania's ID law overturned.

"We think it's illegal," Waldman said. "And we hope it's going to be overturned." His organization is involved in numerous lawsuits against ID laws across the country.

http://leanforward.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/26/12423904-pennsylvania-state-senator-voter-id-law-is-about-suppressing-votes?lite

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Politicians have to get comfortable before they can get honest.

Though never truly transparent, they will allow themselves to run at the mouth briefly for partisan audiences. Sometimes, they even do the unthinkable like forget that a camera may be rolling and that their words will be heard far beyond their partisan bubble.

That seems to be what happened to state House Majority Leader Mike Turzai, R-Bradford Woods. On Saturday, Mr. Turzai addressed a meeting of the Republican State Committee in Hershey in which he listed the accomplishments of the GOP majority for a crowd that loves its red meat.

Mr. Turzai dutifully listed the Castle Doctrine and stricter regulations on facilities where abortions are performed as major accomplishments of the ruling caucus in this state. That's boilerplate Republicanism, which is to be expected when addressing a crowd of fiscal and social conservatives. He ended each citation with a self-congratulatory "done." It's what he said next which constitutes letting the cat out of the proverbial bag:

"Voter ID, which is going to allow Gov. [Mitt] Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done."

State Republicans have steadfastly maintained that the recently instituted voter ID laws in Pennsylvania are not motivated by a partisan attempt to suppress part of the Democratic turnout in November. The people who would be most adversely affected by the law -- students, minorities, some of the elderly -- tend to vote Democratic. The Republicans have resorted to shameful heights of sophistry on this point, insisting that their only concern is the integrity of the ballot box.

Mr. Turzai's spokesman wasted no time in reiterating the GOP's official story that it is only interested in a "fairer playing field for all candidates."

Mr. Turzai should be commended for his brief moment of honesty. The comments that necessarily follow such candor are just politics and obfuscation. Taking the intelligence of the Pennsylvania electorate for granted? Done.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/editorials/voter-id-honesty-rep-turzais-slip-unmasks-the-republican-agenda-642268/#ixzz1z7jJvD7O

This is a better article.

shimamab
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I don't have a problem with transitioning to voter id requirements, but I do find it odd that the push for it always comes close to an election when the time line for compliance can cause a backlog of paperwork that may or may not be completed by d-day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I love the idea of voter ID laws.  However, I agree with shimamab that it needs to be done much farther out from an election.  I would love to know that only the people who are legally allowed to vote are voting.  ID cards are an effective way to do that.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

The OP title is quoting the GOP state senator as saying it 'suppresses votes,' which he did not say.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:55 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't have a problem with voter id laws as long as acceptable id's are inexpensive, simple to get and will work with those who might not have all their documentation. However, I don't buy that voter fraud is as big an issue as the right seems to make it out to be.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

buttersworth
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, yep, here we go again...screwing with the votes

Is there anyone out there who can see through this? Lest we forfeit our right to vote, don't stop pretending it's real. But know that in reality, we don't pick 'em.

I mean, all you gotta do is remember that George Bush was "elected" to a second term. C'mon!

specialwingz
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am all for voter ID cards.  I'm sick and tired of watching illegal immigrants walk into the polls and being allowed to vote.

im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Just curious how do you know they are illegal & if you saw them why didn't you report them to the poll workers. What does an illegal immigrant look like anyway?

Quoting specialwingz:

I am all for voter ID cards.  I'm sick and tired of watching illegal immigrants walk into the polls and being allowed to vote.

shimamab
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh, you know. They're brown, speak Spanish, sell tamales from a rolling cart....all the usual signs. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 11:04 PM

LOL.  So accusatory.  Cracks me up.  Here in TX, I know many farmers and ranchers who hire illegals.  They rotate them like you rotate your pantry.  In a small community everyone knows what's going on.  And, if you think a call to the sheriff makes things happen, then you just don't know how things work.  INS does NOT come storming in to haul them away.  All we have to show at the polls is a state issued ID.  I can vote on my drivers license.  But, I also chose to register for a voter ID card.  But, fake IDs are a dime a dozen.  And, illegals use them to vote.  In a state such as Texas that has a high concentration of hispanic people, it is NOT the poll workers' job to question the 7 out of every 10 voters who happen to be hispanic.  Many are totally legal.  Many are not.  In smaller communities, it's easier to catch.  However, many go to the closest city to vote where poll takers don't take the time or care.

Quoting im23vaughn:

Just curious how do you know they are illegal & if you saw them why didn't you report them to the poll workers. What does an illegal immigrant look like anyway?

Quoting specialwingz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)