Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare Mostly: What This Means to You - How do you feel about the SCOTUS ruling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Supreme Court Upholds Obamacare Mostly: What This Means to You

Posted by Adriana Velez on June 28, 2012

us supreme courtAs they were expected to do today, the Supreme Court ruled on the Obama administration's Affordable Health Care Act. And it looks like they upheld most of it, five to four. The individual mandate still stands. Conservative Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. ruled with the majority.

News outlets are scrambling now to analyze the ruling and figure out the details of SCOTUS' ruling. It's complicated. But we have a few ideas of what this ruling will mean to Americans.

According to the SCOTUS ruling, the individual mandate says that you must have coverage (public or private) by 2014 or face a tax penalty. By 2016, when the law is fully in place, that tax penalty will be close to $695 per person. There is some speculation that young, healthy people will do the math and decide to just pay the tax penalty rather than pay for health insurance.

More from The Stir: Highlights of the Supreme Court Arguments on Obamacare

It appears that there are provisions for people who refuse to comply with the mandate if they can demonstrate they have religious or financial issues with it. I'm not positive about that, though -- analysts are still looking into it.

Insurance companies will be required to take anyone, regardless of health. They will not get to charge sick people more for their policy than healthy people.

States will be able to expand Medicaid to cover more people. This means more people will qualify for Medicaid IF their state chooses to participate in that expansion. However, SCOTUS struck down the federal government's right to withhold Medicaid funding from states that choose not to participate in the expansion. So if you're hoping to qualify for Medicaid under the new law, you'll have to wait and see what your state decides to do.

This ruling will make the health care law even more of a hot button issue with the election. Obama will claim this as a victory. Romney will use it as a reason for change in the White House.

How do you feel about the SCOTUS ruling? Do you think it will affect you and your family?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
asfriend
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I took a little quiz that was posted in another group.  If the results are accurate, our premiums would be cut almost in half.  I guess we shall see.

OH

MY

GOD

the terrorists have won.

shimamab
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Fingers crossed they don't de-unionize and decide to break the law, then.

Quoting buttersworth:

There is a Union

also, benefits have always been a tool to attract employees

Quoting shimamab:

If they provide it now without legally having to, why do you think they'd stop when it's the law? I'm confused

Quoting buttersworth:

The penalty to employers for not offering health insurance is cheaper than offering it. So yes, I think it will affect my family. I think my husband's employer will probably opt out of offering health insurance. His employer is large and already leaves lots of decisions to the bean counters. So if he no longer gets it from his employer, we will be paying more for health coverage which I read would be on average $15,ooo per year, per family. If this figure is correct, we will be in a world of financial hurt. He makes decent money but the price of everything has gone up and his wages haven't increased at the same level in the last 10 years. So we already slowly have been living with less and less. Unless his employer miraculously decides to continue paying more for health coverage than they would paying the penalty - we, personally, are going to go from middle class into poverty.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:07 AM

It's not breaking the law.

It is an option to pay the tax.

It is the whole idea, to get people out of private insurance and into the Government plan - please though, please do not let facts get in the way of your devotion.

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

There is a Union

Quoting shimamab:

If they provide it now without legally having to, why do you think they'd stop when it's the law? I'm confused

Quoting buttersworth:

The penalty to employers for not offering health insurance is cheaper than offering it. So yes, I think it will affect my family. I think my husband's employer will probably opt out of offering health insurance. His employer is large and already leaves lots of decisions to the bean counters. So if he no longer gets it from his employer, we will be paying more for health coverage which I read would be on average $15,ooo per year, per family. If this figure is correct, we will be in a world of financial hurt. He makes decent money but the price of everything has gone up and his wages haven't increased at the same level in the last 10 years. So we already slowly have been living with less and less. Unless his employer miraculously decides to continue paying more for health coverage than they would paying the penalty - we, personally, are going to go from middle class into poverty.

shimamab
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
ACA is NOT a law? Hmmm....

And if the super secret conspiracy plan only known to the non-Neanderthals on the right is to put us all on gov'ment insurance, I guess the private insurers better step up their game.

Quoting asfriend:

It is the whole idea, to get people out of private insurance and into the Government plan - please though, please do not let facts get in the way of your devotion.

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

There is a Union

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shimamab
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Once again, NOT devoted....to Obama or this law. Please though, don't let THOSE facts get in the way of you marginalizing every opinion I have because of your assumptions of how I feel don't match yours.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

There is a Union

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Oh, don't let her/him get to you. It's obvious this one takes a hankering to those of us who make sense and have coherent thought processes. Consider it a badge of honor...sort of.

Quoting shimamab:

Once again, NOT devoted....to Obama or this law. Please though, don't let THOSE facts get in the way of you marginalizing every opinion I have because of your assumptions of how I feel don't match yours.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

There is a Union

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

asfriend
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Come back when you have had some coffee, you are embarrassing  yourself.

Part of the ACA is an option to not provide insurance and pay a fine, during oral arguments the solicitor was asked if they choose to not provide insurance and pay the fine, would they be breaking the law, the solicitor stated the administration position was NO.

There is no secret plan, your hero said this is a step toward single payer.

Why so you only believe him half the time?

Quoting shimamab:

ACA is NOT a law? Hmmm....

And if the super secret conspiracy plan only known to the non-Neanderthals on the right is to put us all on gov'ment insurance, I guess the private insurers better step up their game.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

There is a Union

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

shimamab
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, but it can be amusing to banter with an opposing view in a snarky way. Some can't hang with it and get all puffed up and squawky over it so I use asfriend's predisposition of sarcasm and insults as my outlet :) It's a mutually parasitic and dysfunctional cyber frenemy situation for me. Lol.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Oh, don't let her/him get to you. It's obvious this one takes a hankering to those of us who make sense and have coherent thought processes. Consider it a badge of honor...sort of.

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

There is a Union

Quoting shimamab:

Quoting buttersworth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny2nv
by Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:27 AM
I have very mixed feelings. As an American who could never be accepted by insurance companies or afford them, I'm very hopeful. I'm afraid that the insurance companies won't lower their prices, and then I will have to pay that stupid tax. Medicaid is crap! No dental and limited coverage for people over 21.
Idk....
I agree our healthcare system needs to be redone, all of it thrown out! But I don't think this is the way.
The cost of living is steadily rising, while dh's pay is slowly getting cut back. 5 years ago, we we're doing awesome! We cut back more and more, going with less and less... now I will have a stupid tax.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:30 AM

If you have medicaid, you won't have a tax.

Quoting destiny2nv:

I have very mixed feelings. As an American who could never be accepted by insurance companies or afford them, I'm very hopeful. I'm afraid that the insurance companies won't lower their prices, and then I will have to pay that stupid tax. Medicaid is crap! No dental and limited coverage for people over 21.
Idk....
I agree our healthcare system needs to be redone, all of it thrown out! But I don't think this is the way.
The cost of living is steadily rising, while dh's pay is slowly getting cut back. 5 years ago, we we're doing awesome! We cut back more and more, going with less and less... now I will have a stupid tax.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)