Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-Lifer Romney Says Killing Embryos Is Okay

Posted by   + Show Post

Pro-Lifer Romney Says Killing Embryos Is Okay

July 2, 2012
By 

For the purpose of clarification, an embryo is defined as: An organism in its early stages of development, especially before it has reached a distinctively recognizable form.

Flip-flopping Romney is going to have some explaining to do, again, after his recent statements to CNSNews.com about destroying unused embryos from in vitro fertilization (IVF) where he stated, “I would, I would not outlaw it… I would allow, I would allow private laboratories and private institutions–as we currently do, and as the president does as well–to use these so-called surplus or embryos to be discarded.” Discarded is “killed”.

In February 2005, William B. Hurlbut, a dedicated pro-lifer and physician and professor at Stanford University Medical Center Neuroscience Institute met with Romney for several hours. Dr. Hurlbut adamantly stated on a pro-life lifeslitenews.com , “He [Mitt Romney] declared himself pro-life and has repeatedly done so since that time.”

Not true. If it is true that Romney is pro-life and he has repeatedly affirmed that since 2005 [Romney himself states that he has been pro-life since November 2004], how can Romney rationalize the condoning of killing embryos less than two months ago? It is also an interesting fact that on May 16th Romney held a $50,000-a-plate fundraiser at the residence of Phil Frost, who is the executive of Teva Pharmaceuticals that makes the Morning After Contraceptive Pill.
Mitt Romney has said that he supports the reversal of Roe versus Wade and told Mike Huckabee at Fox on October 10th, 2011 that he would support the Amendment To The Massachusetts Constitution That Would Have Established Life At Conception.

Romney recently had twin grandsons and four other grandchildren all conceived through in vitro fertilization and carried to term in the womb of an unknown surrogate. In a Fox News Sunday interview with Chris Wallace in February 2005, Romney stated. “If you’re creating new life, simply to destroy it, you’ve gone across a bright red ethical boundary.”

It is standard procedure for surplus embryos to be created during the IVF procedure, yet Romney states that if that life is being created, “simply to destroy it”, which is the reality whether they are “disposed” of, harvested for stem cells, or used in research, then that “bright red ethical boundary” has been crossed, has it not? What about women who undergo an early term abortion and want to donate the embryo for stem cell research? How is it that they have crossed a line, but IVF clinics have not?

It is even more of a paradox that Bain Capital invested in Stericycle, a disposal company that helps in the disposal of aborted fetuses and despite Bain Officials adamant statements that Mitt was not involved with the investment company during that time, Mother Jones uncovered documents filed by Bain and Stericycle with the Securities and Exchange Commission that lists Romney as an active participant in the investment of $75 million into that company. I wonder what other embryo-disposing skeleton is in Romney’s closet. That would help to explain his divided loyalties and inability to nail a stand on issues related to pro-life.

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 9:39 AM

What's even more alarming is that so many of them have been convinced by their religious leaders (MEN) that those of us who are pro-choice are literally possessed by demons or malevolent spirits. By doing that, they accomplish a couple of things:

1. They have been convinced that because we are being manipulated by outside forces, our opinions and life experiences that brought us to those opinions are completely invalid and false.

2. By convincing themselves that everything we support is evil, they are automatically on the "good" side and there is NO possibility of understanding or WANTING to  understand where we are coming from. This is battle of good versus evil and there are souls to be saved. We are either saved or damned.

This is nothing, imo, but brainwashing and cultish behavior. It's spreading and I fear that if the economy doesn't improve and people start to dispair, THESE are the institutions they will turn to. What happened in Afghanistan was no isolated incident, it can happen anywhere and it was the direct result of economic instability.

Quoting bluespagan:

That is correct! 

This is what surprises me about conservative/right wing women, they are fighting against the rights, protections and freedoms they have.  It is as though they want them taken away. 

You would think this story comes from the Middle East or some third world country but it doesn't.  It comes straight from the US. 

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

So in Mississippi a law that was enacted to protect fetuses from harm from a THIRD party, ie an abusive boyfriend or husband is being used to prosecute women who have substance abuse problems while pregnant?

One man has been prosecuted under this law, while over 300 women have been or currently being prosecuted.

And the right continues to deny that women aren't being slowly turned into second class citizens through this kind of legislation. Myopic at best.

Thanks for the article.

Quoting bluespagan:

Yes I do. 

I also know that certain states will ban abortion outright if given the chance.  Or did you not hear about the Mississippi case of the teenage girl who was sent to jail when she delivered a stillborn baby.  The courts decided that she had killed the baby because before she knew she was pregnant she did drugs. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/24/america-pregnant-women-murder-charges

Yeah that state sounds like it is all about equal and consitutionally protected rights for all.  And you want to give them the power to tell a woman whether she can or cannot have an abortion.  No thank you, I will stick with Roe V Wade.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:40 AM
To date how many Mississippi abortion related laws that have been challenged by the supreme court have been struck down as unconstitutional?
Being accused and being convicted are different. Cocaine needs to be proven it was the cause of the miscarriage. When the verdict is determined, we will have a better discussion on Mississippi laws.

Quoting bluespagan:

Yes I do. 

I also know that certain states will ban abortion outright if given the chance.  Or did you not hear about the Mississippi case of the teenage girl who was sent to jail when she delivered a stillborn baby.  The courts decided that she had killed the baby because before she knew she was pregnant she did drugs. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jun/24/america-pregnant-women-murder-charges

Yeah that state sounds like it is all about equal and consitutionally protected rights for all.  And you want to give them the power to tell a woman whether she can or cannot have an abortion.  No thank you, I will stick with Roe V Wade.

Quoting jcrew6:

You do understand how the whole constitution, states rights thing works right?

Quoting bluespagan:

OK he believes in states rights and in some states women go to PRISON for either miscarrying or delivering stillborn babies.

That means that certain states will take away a womans right to choose.  So, he is not supporting anti-choice directly but indirectly, he knows what he is doing and it is underhanded.  Another reason I won't vote for him.

Quoting jcrew6:

Ummm did you read the article you posted and the video?

“I would love the Supreme Court to say, ‘Let’s send this back to the states,’” he said. “Rather than having a federal mandate through Roe v. Wade, let the states again consider this issue state by state.”

He belives in STATES RIGHTS!

Quoting bluespagan:

According to this article http://www.lifenews.com/2012/04/17/mitt-romney-repeats-call-for-overturning-roe-v-wade/ he would call to overturn Roe V Wade.

So either he is lying or just bending the truth a little to not look so bad.

Quoting jcrew6:

Romney supports the Hyde Amendment

"On the accusation of being 'multiple-choice', I have to respond. I have my own beliefs, and those beliefs are very dear to me. One of them is that I do not impose my beliefs on other people. Many, many years ago, I had a dear, close family relative that was very close to me who passed away from an illegal abortion. It is since that time my mother and my family have been committed to the belief that we can believe as we want, but we will not force our beliefs on others on that matter.-Mitt Romney

"As Governor, Mitt Romney would protect the current pro-choice status quo in Massachusetts. No law would change. The choice to have an abortion is a deeply personal one. Women should be free to choose based on their own beliefs, not the government's." Mitt Romney

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

He does do quite a song and dance, tap dancing around all the issues and completey in the dark about foreign policy.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting matreshka:

Once again, Romney will be whatever he thinks the electorate wants him to be.  He is like a robot candidate, being fed talking points, but when called on them has no real response. Having his own perspective and thought process *does not compute* for him.

bluespagan
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

They were deemed unconsitutional because Roe V Wade has been deemed Constitutional.  If Roe V Wade had not set that precendent then I am sure that states such as Mississippi would get away with many abortion related laws.  If these laws were left up to the state and the federal government took a back seat what do you think would happen?  If Roe V Wade were abolished what do you think would happen?

And did you read the article?  Did you read how many women are being held, without bail, while awaiting trial?  And you are ok with this and just brush it off as no big deal until the sentence is handed down?  I am sorry, I would advocate for these women now by ensuring that the President that you elect into office will not stand by this.  Romney is not that man because, as I stated in my original post, he is indirectly supporting this type of behaviour from states like Mississippi by allowing each state to handle abortion as they see fit.  It is clear to me that Mississippi views abortion as a crime and will go as far as imprisoning women that accidently miscarry or have stillborns. 

Quoting jcrew6:

To date how many Mississippi abortion related laws that have been challenged by the supreme court have been struck down as unconstitutional?
Being accused and being convicted are different. Cocaine needs to be proven it was the cause of the miscarriage. When the verdict is determined, we will have a better discussion on Mississippi laws.

Quoting bluespagan:

Yes I do. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

OK he believes in states rights and in some states women go to PRISON for either miscarrying or delivering stillborn babies.

That means that certain states will take away a womans right to choose.  So, he is not supporting anti-choice directly but indirectly, he knows what he is doing and it is underhanded.  Another reason I won't vote for him.

Quoting jcrew6:

“I would love the Supreme Court to say, ‘Let’s send this back to the states,’” he said. “Rather than having a federal mandate through Roe v. Wade, let the states again consider this issue state by state.”

Quoting bluespagan:

According to this article http://www.lifenews.com/2012/04/17/mitt-romney-repeats-call-for-overturning-roe-v-wade/ he would call to overturn Roe V Wade.

Quoting jcrew6:

"On the accusation of being 'multiple-choice', I have to respond. I have my own beliefs, and those beliefs are very dear to me. One of them is that I do not impose my beliefs on other people. Many, many years ago, I had a dear, close family relative that was very close to me who passed away from an illegal abortion. It is since that time my mother and my family have been committed to the belief that we can believe as we want, but we will not force our beliefs on others on that matter.-Mitt Romney

"As Governor, Mitt Romney would protect the current pro-choice status quo in Massachusetts. No law would change. The choice to have an abortion is a deeply personal one. Women should be free to choose based on their own beliefs, not the government's." Mitt Romney

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Mississippi has had many abortion laws deemed constitutional and upheld by the supreme court. If you want to use Mississippi as an example, do your research.
Has the case of Rennie Gibbs been determined? To my knowledge ( last weeks article) a ruling hasn't been determined.

Quoting bluespagan:

They were deemed unconsitutional because Roe V Wade has been deemed Constitutional.  If Roe V Wade had not set that precendent then I am sure that states such as Mississippi would get away with many abortion related laws.  If these laws were left up to the state and the federal government took a back seat what do you think would happen?  If Roe V Wade were abolished what do you think would happen?

And did you read the article?  Did you read how many women are being held, without bail, while awaiting trial?  And you are ok with this and just brush it off as no big deal until the sentence is handed down?  I am sorry, I would advocate for these women now by ensuring that the President that you elect into office will not stand by this.  Romney is not that man because, as I stated in my original post, he is indirectly supporting this type of behaviour from states like Mississippi by allowing each state to handle abortion as they see fit.  It is clear to me that Mississippi views abortion as a crime and will go as far as imprisoning women that accidently miscarry or have stillborns. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Yes I do. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Yes. I read the article. Trying to commit suicide while carrying over 30 week unborn child? She needs to be held accountable. That isn't about abortion. In Indiana, she had plenty of opportunity for legal termination at a legal time.
She chose rat poison. At 33 weeks. Needs to be held accountable.

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Yes I do. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Laws are challenged. Laws have been upheld. States need to abide by the constitution. If a drunk driver kills a mother and her unborn (30+ weeks) child, that drunk driver faces 2 counts of murder.
Why shouldn't the mother be held responsible for what she does to that same unborn child? Especially at 33, 36 weeks. Jmo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Mississippi sucks when it comes to these things.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

So in Mississippi a law that was enacted to protect fetuses from harm from a THIRD party, ie an abusive boyfriend or husband is being used to prosecute women who have substance abuse problems while pregnant?

One man has been prosecuted under this law, while over 300 women have been or currently being prosecuted.

And the right continues to deny that women aren't being slowly turned into second class citizens through this kind of legislation. Myopic at best.

Thanks for the article.

Quoting bluespagan:

Yes I do. 

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting jcrew6:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM
That's what happens when you live a sheltered life and never leave your comfort zone. I'm sure mittens has a bucket list. Become rich off his daddy. Offshore jobs, become governor, own numerous houses, run and fail for first presidency, because conservatives couldn't get behind him, run again and conservatives have no choice to get behind him. All the while he offshores the truth.

Quoting matreshka:

He does do quite a song and dance, tap dancing around all the issues and completey in the dark about foreign policy.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Quoting matreshka:

Once again, Romney will be whatever he thinks the electorate wants him to be.  He is like a robot candidate, being fed talking points, but when called on them has no real response. Having his own perspective and thought process *does not compute* for him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:27 AM

What is your position on the disposal or use of surplus embryos?  Should it be legal or illegal?

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Should, could. My bad. I don't understand how pro-lifers agree with this. 

Quoting Meadowchik:

Nope, not "should" be, but could be:

“I would, I would not outlaw it… I would allow, I would allow private laboratories and private institutions–as we currently do, and as the president does as well–to use these so-called surplus or embryos to be discarded.”

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

So he agrees that unused, soon to be discarded embryos should be used in embryonic stem cell research?

Quoting Meadowchik:

So Romney says that he would not outlaw th euse of unwanted embroys.  He also says that life should not be created for the purpose of being destroyed.

That's not a contradiction..."Creating something to be destroyed" would be embryo farming for scientific research, for example.  Aloowing surplus embryos to be discarded is not embryo farming, either. 

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)