Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

July 4th fireworks equal ‘pretend war’

Posted by   + Show Post

Teacher: July 4th fireworks equal ‘pretend war’

By Kyle Olson
EAGnews.org

PORTLAND, Ore. – To some people, nothing is sacred. Not even Fourth of July fireworks.

Fireworks have been a staple of Independence Day celebrations since the earliest years of the republic. The tradition dates back to July 3, 1776, when John Adams wrote a letter to his wife, suggesting that that America’s birthday “ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.”

But now the progressives are trying to revise that history, too.

Bill Bigelow of the radical teacher organization Rethinking Schools,wrote that we need to “rethink” the 4th of July. This “progressive” teacher has declared war on fireworks.

The Fourth of July “…provides cover for people to blow off fireworks that terrify young children and animals, and that turn the air thick with smoke and errant projectiles. Last year, the fire department here [Portland, OR] reported 172 fires sparked by toy missiles, defective firecrackers, and other items of explosive revelry.”

So Bigelow is concerned about public safety. Fair enough. But there’s more:

“Apart from the noise pollution, air pollution, and flying debris pollution, there is something profoundly inappropriate about blowing off fireworks at a time when the United States is waging war with real fireworks around the world. To cite just one example, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism in London found recently that U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan alone have killed more than 200 people, including at least 60 children. And, of course, the U.S. war in Afghanistan drags on and on. The pretend war of celebratory fireworks thus becomes part of a propaganda campaign that inures us—especially the children among us—to the real wars half a world away.”

Yes, to this ingenious teacher, fireworks promote war. In fact, he says fireworks are “pretend war!”

Is there any vestige of original Americana that Marxist educators won’t seek to erase from our culture?

The real problem is that too many Americans, particularly youngsters, have little idea what the Fourth of July commemorates. They light off fireworks because they think it’s fun, not because they have the first clue that they’re celebrating their nation’s independence.

That’s due to the influence of teachers like Bigelow. They would rather make students feel guilty about being Americans than encourage them to appreciate the great things about their nation.

If they manage to win their internal war on America by brainwashing too many young minds, we will all be sorry in the very near future.

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Replies (11-20):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

M-80's are a federal offense that can get you up to life in a federal prison.

Quoting mehamil1:

There are many veterans in my neighborhood and I can only imagine what they go through with the constant barrage of M80s going off for a full week. I hate it. 

Quoting timeforprogress:

I have perspective that might make people think differently about it.  I actually live within the Portland Metro area in a suburban neighborhood of Vancouver, WA where I bought a home this past December. 

You see the 4th of July fireworks celebration doesn't begin here at sunset on the 4th.  It begins at some point around the 30th of June.  It might have been dark. I am not quite sure the days are just running together, because you see I haven't really slept more than a few restless hours every night since they began. 

I am a war vet with PTSD, and for the most part I have really learned to keep my mental health in check.  However, there are so many fireworks flowing through the streets here that I caught my son playing with them without adult supervision.  I didn't buy him any fireworks. There are so many fireworks exploding in every direction around me that people are handing them out like candy.  I am not talking little things here like sparklers and whistlers.

These are full on mortar shells.  Its 12 and the fireworks are exploding again.  They quit maybe around 2 am this morning.  My heart is perpetually racing.  I am struggling to keep my sanity.  I still have to accomplish things.  My responsibilities don't disappear for the week.  So now I get to wrestle with exhaustion while constantly having to remind myself that I am in the suburbs and not a war zone. 

I am sure that everyone else is having a blast, but I am in hell. 

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I don't know what an M-80 is, but if it is worse than this warzone I already have going on outside my home right now. I am glad they are banned.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting mehamil1:

There are many veterans in my neighborhood and I can only imagine what they go through with the constant barrage of M80s going off for a full week. I hate it. 

Quoting timeforprogress:

I have perspective that might make people think differently about it.  I actually live within the Portland Metro area in a suburban neighborhood of Vancouver, WA where I bought a home this past December. 

You see the 4th of July fireworks celebration doesn't begin here at sunset on the 4th.  It begins at some point around the 30th of June.  It might have been dark. I am not quite sure the days are just running together, because you see I haven't really slept more than a few restless hours every night since they began. 

I am a war vet with PTSD, and for the most part I have really learned to keep my mental health in check.  However, there are so many fireworks flowing through the streets here that I caught my son playing with them without adult supervision.  I didn't buy him any fireworks. There are so many fireworks exploding in every direction around me that people are handing them out like candy.  I am not talking little things here like sparklers and whistlers.

These are full on mortar shells.  Its 12 and the fireworks are exploding again.  They quit maybe around 2 am this morning.  My heart is perpetually racing.  I am struggling to keep my sanity.  I still have to accomplish things.  My responsibilities don't disappear for the week.  So now I get to wrestle with exhaustion while constantly having to remind myself that I am in the suburbs and not a war zone. 

mehamil1
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Did you just post this nonsense to get me to talk to you? Ugh. 

M-80s can still be legally manufactured in the United States by those holding a federal explosives license. Federal and state officials sometimes distribute them to farmers to scare away wildlife encroaching on their crops.

source: M-80s: The Big, Illicit Bang," The Wall Street Journal, July 3–5, 2009, p. W12

You gotta kill someone or rape/molest a bunch of people to get life in any kind of prison. 

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting mehamil1:

mehamil1
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:38 AM

They aren't. Carpy posts without doing research too often. But they should be banned from being sold to people who end up blowing up their hands with them because they are too drunk to drop them in time. 

Quoting timeforprogress:

I don't know what an M-80 is, but if it is worse than this warzone I already have going on outside my home right now. I am glad they are banned.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting mehamil1:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:29 AM
I think only small fireworks should be sold to the common person.

Anything larger than a bottle rocket should only be sold to professionals.

But that's just me.

I have a Special Needs son who can't handle loud noises and a Husband who jumps and tremors EVERYTIME he hears a loud noise...

Fun Times
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:45 AM

I am torn between my desire not to ruin everyones time, and my need to just sleep.  I am supposed to volunteer tomorrow at a summer program for teens, but I just don't think I can keep going at this rate when I haven't slept since fireworks went on sale.  I am just so very very very exhausted. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

But that's just me.

I have a Special Needs son who can't handle loud noises and a Husband who jumps and tremors EVERYTIME he hears a loud noise...

Fun Times

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jul. 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM
I'm sorry.

I spent most of my night holding my hubby's hands watching tv shows on Netflix with the volume up.

Luckily fireworks are illegal here except for professionals so we only had to deal with hearing 1 show last night and 1 tonight...

He even dared and went outside to sit (we live by a lake). He did good. It gets better each year. He says if he can see the colors and know where the "boom" is coming from its better for him.

Quoting timeforprogress:

I am torn between my desire not to ruin everyones time, and my need to just sleep.  I am supposed to volunteer tomorrow at a summer program for teens, but I just don't think I can keep going at this rate when I haven't slept since fireworks went on sale.  I am just so very very very exhausted. 

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

But that's just me.

Fun Times

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:03 AM
1 mom liked this

As far as the OP, of course fireworks are mock war.  So is football. Check out the origins of nursery rhymes and you'll get another dose of reality. 

That said, a FB friend has this status up:

"I don't understand how we can stand in our yards and see the mountain across the valley on fire and know full well that there people putting their liveson the line and that less than two weeks ago we were evacuated for the same kind of fire and yet still people are gathered on their front lawns lightingoff fireworks when you know it is illegal right now. Come on you guys, I love you to death, but being law abiding isn't just for when we feel like it."

I think it is sad that people seem to so easily not use their heads or think about their own safety or others.

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Big hugs, TFP.  I never thought about how it would affect vets with PTSD.

I'm in Vancouver too, and it really seemed worse this year.  I'm not sure when they stopped in our neighborhood.  We went to bed around 11:30 and our neighbors were still going strong.  What I don't get is the people who light them off in the middle of the day.  I mean, really?  How cool is a firework at 3:00 in the afternoon?! 

Quoting timeforprogress:

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

When there isn't a ban fireworks start here in the middle of June and don't stop until a week or two after the 4th.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN