Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Do You agree with Democrat, Andre Carson? Should US schools be modeled after Islamic madrassas?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM
  • 80 Replies
Speaking about the American education system, Carson told the audience that American schools should be modeled after Madrassas and touted the benefits of schools that use the Koran as their "foundation."

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/muslim-congressman-model-americas-schools-after-

Should us schools be modeled after ANY religion?

(I would have preferred to have just posted the YouTube video, but my new toy (iPad) and I are figuring things out. So, to provide a link with the video, I settled for the Blaze.)
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM
3 moms liked this

That's OK, I don't mind the Blaze  =)  I don't know that I would go so far as to say that our educational system should be based on a religion, but I do feel that we have gone downhill quickly since we took God out of the classroom and the school. 

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 5:41 AM
Don't know who he is and can't see the story..mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM
2 moms liked this

While I don't necessarly think a school should be modeled after a specific religion, I do think schools have lost sight of what's important over the years.  

As for this Yahoo.  It's interesting to see the media reaction when someone on the right makes comments like these vs someone on the left. 

mehamil1
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think schools should be modeled on any religion. 

dl42272
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

You can let your child be taught about the muslim god. Mine will not.

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Public schools should not be modeled after Any religion.

bluespagan
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM
2 moms liked this

First of all, good job on using 2 hot words, Democrat and Islamic.  That is automatically going to make people think all sorts of bad things.

Second, a Madrasah is simply the Arabic word for Public School.  It can be either secular or religious. 

Having personally seen a Madrasah I can agree to this to a degree.  The schools are set up in such a way that the students learn proper grammar, English, science and even manual skills.  All of these things will help them later on in life when they go on to higher learning or  a skilled labor/job.  The children there are very well versed by elementary age in their history, their national language and can speak English better than some kids I know here in America.  The people there are very intelligent and they do not simply dump information once they pass a standardized test.  The Islamic world puts a certain value on education that makes it very important since that education steers you throughout your life.

jcrew6
by Jenney on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting bluespagan:

First of all, good job on using 2 hot words, Democrat and Islamic.  That is automatically going to make people think all sorts of bad things.

Second, a Madrasah is simply the Arabic word for Public School.  It can be either secular or religious. 

Having personally seen a Madrasah I can agree to this to a degree.  The schools are set up in such a way that the students learn proper grammar, English, science and even manual skills.  All of these things will help them later on in life when they go on to higher learning or  a skilled labor/job.  The children there are very well versed by elementary age in their history, their national language and can speak English better than some kids I know here in America.  The people there are very intelligent and they do not simply dump information once they pass a standardized test.  The Islamic world puts a certain value on education that makes it very important since that education steers you throughout your life.

Did you listen to the words in the video? He suggests MORE than a public school

CARSON: "America will never tap into educational innovation and ingenuity without looking at the model that we have in our Madrassas, in our schools where innovation is encouraged. Where the foundation is the Koran."

Foundation is Koran?
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I don't think that public schools should be modeled after any religion.  We have the right to send our kids to private schools, or to homeschool, if we want their education to have a strong religious component.

_Kissy_
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm gonna let you in on a lil secret. They're the same God

Quoting dl42272:

You can let your child be taught about the muslim god. Mine will not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)