Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

"Obamacare" Allegedly Provoked a Woman to Destroy a Deli With a Stone Hammer

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
  • 42 Replies

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/07/obamacare_attack_amber_gardner_hammer.php

People around the country reacted differently to last week's Supreme Court decision to uphold the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare."

Amber Leah Gardner sure had a unique reaction.

Gardner's apparent response was to go to a Mesa deli with a stone hammer, rant about Obama and shout some "racial remarks" at the employees, then allegedly attempt to hit one of the employees with the hammer before proceeding to wreck the deli with that hammer.

Yeah...'Merica.

According to court documents obtained by New Times, Gardner -- a 32-year-old resident of Spring Hill, Florida (north of Tampa) -- walked into the Mesa Food and Deli store with her hammer on Friday and began a-yellin'.

"This is the United States of America!" Gardner said, according to the documents. "Obama passed a law yesterday."

Gardner may not have a real solid grasp of how the government operates, as the President didn't quite pass a law the day before Gardner's episode, but the the Supreme Court did uphold the law dubbed "Obamacare."

After Gardner "continued to make racial remarks [toward] store employees," she showed off her stone hammer, the documents say.

Gardner attempted to hit a female employee with the hammer, according to the documents, but another employee was able to prevent it from happening.

A third employee heard all the commotion going on, and helped everyone get out of the store and away from Gardner.

While the cops were informed of what was going on, Gardner "proceeded to tear apart the front of the store," the documents state, causing several thousand dollars worth of damage to the store and the products.

According to the documents, Gardner was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time.

Gardner faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, disorderly conduct, and criminal damage.

Her bond was set at $9,000.

She may not have had drugs or alcohol in her system but she's obviously deranged. Lets be glad she wasn't armed with a gun. 

No, it was probably talk radio or fox news that pushed this already unstable woman over the edge with the stupid shit they've been saying about the law. Had the talking heads not respond so viciously about the heath care law, this woman probably would have been set off by something completely different.

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluespagan
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

And this is why all the calls to violence from either side shouldn't be taken lightly.  There are people out in this world who take this stuff very seriously and as soon as they hear a phrase like "throw acid in their face" or "armed revolution" they will jump to be the next great "patriot".

imamomzilla
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM
2 moms liked this

This was not her first run-in with the law.

Found this comment in the online paper:

But in her jailhouse interview, she says she was high on meth and she didn't attack because of Obamacare, but because they refused her service at the deli.

mugshot #1 of AMBER GARDNER

mehamil1
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. And there's no need to say these things other than to get people all emotionally twisted up. Most people would not react violently but there are those like this woman who would because she's nuts. 

There's no need to say the things they say. You can disagree with something and use language that is not inciting violence. I guess the media learned nothing about what happened to Gabby Giffards and what happened in Norway when 80 children were murdered. Or any terrorist act. Find people who are unhinged, tell them that they are under attack, and see what happens. 

I'm still convinced she would have been set off by something else even if the media was not as vitriolic as it is. 

Quoting bluespagan:

And this is why all the calls to violence from either side shouldn't be taken lightly.  There are people out in this world who take this stuff very seriously and as soon as they hear a phrase like "throw acid in their face" or "armed revolution" they will jump to be the next great "patriot".

imamomzilla
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

(foxnews)

MESA, Ariz. - A woman accused of going on a rampage because she was upset about ObamaCare is talking about what happened.

Police say Amber Gardner walked into a Mesa convenience store and began yelling: "This is the United States of America! Obama passed a law yesterday!"

Police say she next made racial comments and tried to hit a worker with a hammer.

When we talked with her behind bars, Amber Gardner said this wasn't about politics. She didn't even know about ObamaCare.

She said she did what she did because she has a drug problem and needs help.

"Let's just say I did some dope, I did some meth," Gardner told us in a jailhouse interview.

Amber Gardner admitted to being high on drugs and losing her temper when she was arrested on Friday.

She's accused of trying to attack a Mesa store clerk with a hammer.

"They refused me food whether I had money or not, they refused me food, they looked at me like I was a piece of crap," she said.

Police say Gardner lunged at the clerk but another worker pulled her away. The clerk ran out of the store and called 911. When officers got there, they say Gardner was tearing down shelves and used the hammer to destroy a register and a lottery machine.

She says police tased her three times before arresting her.

"I was on top of the counter and I came down willingly. They took me down not once, not twice but three times and the third time on the butt."

Officers say Gardner was ranting about president Obama, and we asked her about that.

surprised

"When Obama came in 2008 that's when all my stuff started, the economy crashed," said Gardner. "But Obama he's a good president he's a role model."

Gardner said she's been in and out of jail for the past year. She also said she's homeless.

"I keep coming back here… I hear once you get in the system you never get out."

Police say she caused thousands of dollars in damage to the store. She faces a bunch of charges.

asfriend
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Maybe this blogger should stay in his parents basement, where it is cooler, not really a great blog, i guess he could be heat affected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL. And yet the OP posted this after chastising others for "biased" pieces.

She's convinced that somewhere, somehow there's a Tea Party link.

Quoting asfriend:

Maybe this blogger should stay in his parents basement, where it is cooler, not really a great blog, i guess he could be heat affected.

_Kissy_
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Lol. Since when does the conservatives believe a druggie? Oh when its political. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting _Kissy_:

Lol. Since when does the conservatives believe a druggie? Oh when its political. Lol

Still working on the "does" versus "do" thing, I see.

It is when "does" a (singular) conservative or when "do" (plural) conservatives............

You are very welcome!

shimamab
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Ouch. Looks like she took a hammer to herself, too. I think mugshots are the only pic that rank below DMV pics :)

Quoting imamomzilla:

But in her jailhouse interview, she says she was high on meth and she didn't attack because of Obamacare, but because they refused her service at the deli.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL. The Fox article I posted says she was tazed 3 times. Her eyeballs look weird in the firrst mugshot.

going crazy

Quoting shimamab:

Ouch. Looks like she took a hammer to herself, too. I think mugshots are the only pic that rank below DMV pics :)

Quoting imamomzilla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN