Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Rick Perry Takes Stand Against Gay Soldier Bashers - What do you think of Perry's defense of the students?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

Rick Perry Takes Stand Against Gay Soldier Bashers

Posted by Lindsay Mannering on July 9, 2012

rick perryHere's something that comes as a surprise. Rick Perry, the Texas governor and former presidential candidate who wants to end Obama's war on religion, released a statement expressing his support for a group of Texas A&M students who formed a human chain around a soldier's funeral to protect the ceremony from the hateful signs of the Westboro Baptist Church. The deceased, Lt. Col. Roy Tisdale, was an alum of the university, as is Rick Perry, and 650 students gathered to make sure his funeral was not interrupted by the group of religious fundamentalists who like to protest solider funerals with belligerent anti-gay messages.

It's an interesting move for a politician so staunchly anti-gay and pro-religion, isn't it?

To say that Perry is conservative is an understatement. The man's campaign ad from this winter where he says "you know there's something wrong in this country when gays can serve openly in the military, but our kids can't openly celebrate Christmas" is about as right wing as it gets, promising that if elected, he'd "fight liberal attacks on our religious heritage."

And now, eight months later, Perry is supporting the protest of a church. A church that's anti-gay, much like he is. I should hope any intolerance Perry has for homosexuality doesn't come anywhere near that of the WBC, but still. It's shocking that Perry even bothered to have his office release a statement showing support for the Aggies against the WBC.

Shocking, but not at all unwelcome. This is the man who signed a pledge that was all for a federal ban of same sex marriage, and once compared homosexuality to alcoholism. Perry's defense of the students doesn't outweigh all the anti-gay remarks and resolutions he's made over the years, but it's a start. And yes, it's an easy route to come out against the WBC since almost everyone hates them, but again, you gotta start somewhere.

I don't think this is some beginning of a new Perry who's more tolerant of alternative lifestyles, but I do think it's a nice, unexpected wrinkle in his political fabric.

What do you think of Perry's defense of the students against the Westboro Baptist Church?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
asfriend
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Lindsay Mannering is a misrepresenting idiot, and shame on cafemom for posting this type of nonsense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Jul. 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Good for him in supporting the college kids.

As for the actual article... Perry isn't "anti-gay" he is against gay marriage but that doesn't mean he hates homosexuals like this article is trying to make it sound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Yeah, it definitely did try to make it seem like he's homophobic, rather than just against gay marriage.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Good for him in supporting the college kids.

As for the actual article... Perry isn't "anti-gay" he is against gay marriage but that doesn't mean he hates homosexuals like this article is trying to make it sound.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I think it is a good thing that he did, issuing a statement to support the students. I live in TX, and while I do not agree with Perry's policies, he is not an evil man that would endorse dishonoring a vet's funeral. I find the statement in keeping the Governor's character.

mehamil1
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I think the vast majority of politicians could give a rats ass about homosexuality but they have to pretend to care because their constituents are fucking morons who are living in the dark ages and base their ideas on bronze age fairy tales rather than actual scientific fact. 

But whatever. This article is stupid. The man says he's anti gay marraige because he's from fucking Texas. That doesn't make him a homophobe. He says what he says because he'd be knocked out on his ass if he said otherwise. This article is stupid. It's drawing straws. The WBC is reviled all over the world. It doesn't take much to support the people who oppose them and stand up to them. 

Ugh. Come on cafemom. You can do better than this. 

PamR
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I'm glad Perry at least spoke out against the idiots at Westboro.  It doesn't change his feelings on homosexuality, but at least he understands that their hatefulness is wrong.  And bravo to the A&M students for their actions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)