Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

The Necessity of Labels

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

There appears to have been an increase in animosity between those on opposity sides of the political aisle.  Everyone is labeled as "Conservative" or "Liberal" etc.  I am finding that the need to label and then use that label against opponents, as if it is an epithet, disturbing.

So my question is....do you think we must be labeled as Conservative or Liberal?  Is it possible to be both or in the middle?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jcrew6
by Jenney on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I know who I am.  I really don't care about the use of labels.  I don't take it personal, therefore I don't see how it can be disturbing. It is what it is. Labeling has been a part of American Politics, forever. I don't see it changing. IMO, the key is not to get over sensitive over some written words and for some, to be more confident in who they are. 

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree that I don't need the labels.  It's sad that some use that as namecalling and lump all people under that label.  I'm mostly conservative but don't always agree with everything the whole group of conservatives do.  That's the beauty of America we can choose to believe and stand by what we feel is right.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Labels are shortcuts for when you want to describe a person's leanings. The problem is, too many people are believing those labels. In other words, I would most likely be described as a Liberal, but I have a lot of Conservative leanings also. I don't fit into a label, and most people don't, but labeling allows us to identify groups of people that have some common ideology, and then pander to that ideology.

I don't really like or dislike the use of such labeling when it is not used as an insult, or used to pander. Unfortunately, today's tone of dialogue seems to encourage such use.

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I'm both, but I fall more into the Conservative camp because of my fiscal views.

I don't think we have to be labeled as anything and I agree that it does pit people against each other.

timeforprogress
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I find the labels rather annoying myself. 

I am sort of a conservative if its working and liberal if it isn't.

You know if it aint broke don't fix it, but if it is then obviously something should be done before that crack becomes a canyon.

ETA:

I hate being called a Democrat the most.  That party does not represent my best interest anymore than the Republicans.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

The labeling is a tell of the person using it. IMO an epithet is intentional and an assumption is based mostly on ignorance.

mehamil1
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We humans are pack animals. We have tribal mentality. The labels we use reinforce it. 

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The labes are so reductive and they don't speak to the indivdula ideas we all have.  I do not think terms like liberal or conservative do anyone justice on explaining their own specific ideology.  A person can be any mixture of the two.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I don't find labels all that useful.  We have in our minds what a conservative or liberal is supposed to believe, and that isn't always necessarily the case.  I think that most people fall somewhere in the middle. 

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Why do we think the labels have become epithets?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)