Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Why Do Wealthy Liberal Hypocrites Oppose Windmills in their "Playground"?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM
  • 32 Replies

Nine-year wind farm fight splits Cape Cod

Falmouth, Massachusetts (CNN) -- The Rev. William Eddy stands at the bow of his 53-foot sailboat nestled in the postcard setting of Cape Cod.

A lifelong resident of the Cape and islands, Eddy built his staysail schooner by hand, and on this day, he's using it as his pulpit. A perfect storm, he says, has been brewing over the past decade among residents driven to hysterics by the idea of building the nation's first offshore wind farm in the middle of Nantucket Sound.

Eddy loves everything about the Cape: the iconic shingled homes, the Norman Rockwell small towns and the pristine beauty of the sea. Most of all, the Episcopal priest loves the magnificent winds.

And he thinks it's a moral imperative to harness those winds. He's told his congregation just that -- and watched some walk out on his sermon. "Father, we all would've stayed if you had just preached about Darfur," one member told him.

Eddy is unbowed. "It's a no-brainer," he said of the wind farm. "I keep on wondering what's going to happen down there in Washington: Are they going to crucify this project on a cross of coal? Or are they going to stand up for what they've said they're going to stand up for?"

For those whose views differ from Eddy's -- including, apparently, some of his flock -- the pristine beauty he extols is the point. Nantucket Sound, they say, is an iconic symbol of America, not an industrial park. Might as well plop a bunch of wind turbines in the middle of the Grand Canyon, they say.

"It's an area that absolutely should be off-limits," said Audra Parker, president and CEO of the Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound.

Wind farms produce roughly 2 percent of the nation's energy, all from land-based facilities in California, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming and a few other states. Locations offshore are considered optimal because the winds are stronger and more consistent.

Even the project's opponents acknowledge that the Sound is rich in an inexhaustible resource that could power the region. Horseshoe Shoal, where the turbines would be located, is shallow, the winds are constant, and the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard provide a barrier from large waves.

There's no doubt the project would bring a new vista to the horizon. The 130 turbines, spaced a third- to a half-mile apart, would cover about 25 of the 500 square miles of Nantucket Sound. They would stand more than 40 stories tall, bigger than the Statue of Liberty and well over 10 times taller than nearly every other structure around the Cape. They'd be several miles out in the Sound but within view from some locations.

The wind farm would bring hundreds of jobs and provide up to 75 percent of the power needed by the Cape and islands, according to Cape Wind, the company behind the project.

It wouldn't necessarily bring cheaper electricity, but it would be cleaner and a model for the rest of America, Cape Wind says. The Cape currently gets much of its power from a nearby coal and natural gas plant.

The battle over the venture -- dozens of public hearings and nine years long -- has split members of American Indian tribes and pitted some of the nation's wealthiest people against each other. Liberals have squared off against fellow liberals. The most notable opponent was the late Sen. Ted Kennedy, whose family compound would have a view of the wind farm.

The late Walter Cronkite also raised objections to those "big ugly things," although he later said he preferred to remain neutral on the issue. ....

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:41 AM
3 moms liked this

Windmills in view are only for the peons.

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Don't know.Why don't you call and ask them?

shimamab
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I can see not putting them in certain iconic places...but I am in favor of alternative energy. Oil rigs are an ugly, but necessary eyesore as are power lines. Some things we just have to suck up and deal with. But we also need to preserve the natural beauty of areas. Someone's gotta get that whole "invisibility cloak" perfected ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Because they are NIMBY's (not in my back yard) type of people.

_Kissy_
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Because the wealthy, no matter their party affiliation are assholes. Not all not all, just the ones like this one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Scotland wants to put up some windmills off the coast of Aberneath and Donald Trump actually went there and said they shouldn't because it's a beautiful piece of land to play golf on. Keep in mind that he doesn't own the land. 

He's now the laughing stock of Scotland. They fucking hate him. 

And yeah, the wealthy of either party tend to be assholes about this subject. Like their opinion on how the wind mills look is more important than developing renewable energy sources. The arrogance astounds me. 

Quoting _Kissy_:

Because the wealthy, no matter their party affiliation are assholes. Not all not all, just the ones like this one

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think this has anything to do with wealthy, Republican, or Democrat assholes.  I think that this has to do with the fact that tourism and sport fishing are important for their local economy, and wind turbines would likely have a negative impact on those industries.

itsmesteph11
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM

No clue, is it because they think it's really an eyesore and not worth it to pretend because they know the whole thing is a farce.  Maybe so.

imamomzilla
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL! Where do you get your news???  Trump opened a $150M golf course yesterday...I believe it was a tribute to his late mother who was born there. He threatened not to build an adjoining hotel and to sue if the offshore wind farms (that he was assured wouldn't be) were put up. All totaled, he would dump $1 BILLION into the project. The course is rated in the top 3.

He's a savvy businessman and real estate tycoon. Those locals who supported and back Trump outnumbered the environmentalists 10 to 1.The locals know what a boost to the economy a resort would bring from tourism.

Google the story on CNN. You'll see the handful of snivelling eco-fools opposing him.

Quoting mehamil1:

Scotland wants to put up some windmills off the coast of Aberneath and Donald Trump actually went there and said they shouldn't because it's a beautiful piece of land to play golf on. Keep in mind that he doesn't own the land. 

He's now the laughing stock of Scotland. They fucking hate him. 

And yeah, the wealthy of either party tend to be assholes about this subject. Like their opinion on how the wind mills look is more important than developing renewable energy sources. The arrogance astounds me. 

Quoting _Kissy_:

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so". ~Ronald Reagan

mehamil1
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Trump is a jack ass. 

I got my news from my aunt who lives in Glasgow and the BBC which says the exact opposite of what CNN is saying. I'm going to believe the BBC on this one. The American media sucks. Really really hard. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18785641

Donald Trump has teed off at the opening of his new golf course in Aberdeenshire.

The building of Trump International Golf Links at Menie has been controversial.

Environmental campaigners opposed the construction of the course on protected sand dunes, while Mr Trump himself complained about plans to build an offshore wind farm near the site.

And this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-18776084

And this, which is how the locals in the area look at him. Which is like a jackass and a spoiled child:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-17995908

Meanwhile, the Trump dream of two world-class golf courses, a hotel and holiday homes has landed in the rough.

Just one golf course has been built, with Trump blaming the prospect of wind turbines being built off the coast for not continuing with the rest of the development.

Michael Forbes and the other residents have not left their homes but they have found it incredibly stressful, said Baxter.

Quoting imamomzilla:

LOL! Where do you get your news???  Trump opened a $150M golf course yesterday...I believe it was a tribute to his late mother who was born there. He threatened not to build an adjoining hotel and to sue if the offshore wind farms (that he was assured wouldn't be) were put up. All totaled, he would dump $1 BILLION into the project. The course is rated in the top 3.

He's a savvy businessman and real estate tycoon. Those locals who supported and back Trump outnumbered the environmentalists 10 to 1.The locals know what a boost to the economy a resort would bring from tourism.

Google the story on CNN. You'll see the handful of snivelling eco-fools opposing him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN