Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Dem Rep. James Clyburn: Obamacare Mandate Is a “Tax” On “Freeloaders Who Don’t Purchase Insurance”…

Posted by   + Show Post

Wait, they’re now calling it a tax?

(CNSNews.com) — Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.), the assistant House Democratic leader, admitted Wednesday that the individual mandate found in the Obamacare is a tax imposed on those who don’t purchase insurance.

On Capitol Hill, Wednesday, CNSNews.com asked Clyburn: “In voting to uphold the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate, are you voting for a tax?”

The number three Democrat in the House replied, “Am I voting for a tax? Only on those freeloaders who don’t purchase insurance.”

CNSNews.com followed up with the question: “So is [Supreme Court Chief Justice] John Roberts wrong in calling it a tax?”

“No,” Clyburn replied. “Roberts said, I cannot find a way to uphold this under the Commerce Clause but I can find it under the taxing authority of the Congress,” replied Clyburn.

(WZ)

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. When people use the ER as their primary care they are in a sense freeloading off of everyone who is paying for insurance.  The ACA will help open up pools so that people can afford insurance and get primary care doctors and regular check-ups.  And the use of the ER's for minor phsyical issues will go down, as well as minor issues devolping into major medical problems so that the ER's can do the jobs they are intended to.

Quoting bluespagan:

Well many of them are "freeloaders" in a sense.  Then again they are forced into that situation due to high insurance rates which they ca't afford or because they have a pre-existing condition.  Thankfully the Affordable Care Act will help to fix most of this, will include exemptions for some and will make getting insurance easier.  If you don't want to put the work into getting it then youi should be fined/taxed.

MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting -Eilish-:

So the Dems were lying when they said they didn't want to raise taxes on the poor and middle classes?

So Mitt Romney was lying when he said he doesn't support raising taxes, as he signed the health care law as Governor of Massachusetts.

I despise Mitt Romney about as much as I despise Barak Obama - so answer the damn question.

Since you asked nicely. . .  :)

No, the Dems weren't lying.  If I say "I don't want to eat spinach" and then I eat spinach, I didn't lie about saying I didn't want to. 

It would be insane to think that anyone wants to raise taxes.  But, any desire to keep taxes low should be counter-balanced with the desire to be fiscally responsible.  We've got a lot of very popular social programs in America (social security, medicare being the most expensive) and we've got to pay for them. 

Hell, this isn't that much different from social security, a benefit the government forces you to pay for as well.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I think this is pathetic with the lack of transparency this administration and the democrats have shown.

-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:44 PM

*rolls eyes* It's a lie - no matter how you twist it. A false statement is a false statement. The Dems lied - suck it up and admit it!

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting -Eilish-:

So the Dems were lying when they said they didn't want to raise taxes on the poor and middle classes?

So Mitt Romney was lying when he said he doesn't support raising taxes, as he signed the health care law as Governor of Massachusetts.

I despise Mitt Romney about as much as I despise Barak Obama - so answer the damn question.

Since you asked nicely. . .  :)

No, the Dems weren't lying.  If I say "I don't want to eat spinach" and then I eat spinach, I didn't lie about saying I didn't want to. 

It would be insane to think that anyone wants to raise taxes.  But, any desire to keep taxes low should be counter-balanced with the desire to be fiscally responsible.  We've got a lot of very popular social programs in America (social security, medicare being the most expensive) and we've got to pay for them. 

Hell, this isn't that much different from social security, a benefit the government forces you to pay for as well.

29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

So, those who can and DO pay their own way get to pay twice?  I thought the whole Obama thing was all about being "fair" you know, same as equal.  IF I pay my bills, and don't rely on any kind of government help, how fricken "fair" is it that I have to pay a fricken fine, excuse me, a TAX, on top of paying my bill, in cash, in full?  That is the most messed-up asinine thing I have ever heard of.  I could take care of the free-riders in a much more simpler way, that would not penalize those who take care of themselves.

Quoting Citygirlk:

They pay a fine. Or they get it taken out of their tax refund, i forgot which one it is.

Quoting 29again:

Well, what about people who do NOT want to purchase insurance, but have the ability and the will to pay for whatever costs they incur with their own healthcare?  What happens to them?

29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Some people on medicaid use the ER BECAUSE they are on medicaid -- because the doctors WILL NOT accept MORE medicaid patients!!  How does forcing people to pay a fine clear the ER's?   We need MORE doctors, doctors who can earn a living wage without paying millions a year in malpractice insurance to not have to deal with a diva who got stretch marks when she was pregnant, which happens to everyone, but she shouldn't have to deal with that because she is a DIVA!

Quoting matreshka:

I agree. When people use the ER as their primary care they are in a sense freeloading off of everyone who is paying for insurance.  The ACA will help open up pools so that people can afford insurance and get primary care doctors and regular check-ups.  And the use of the ER's for minor phsyical issues will go down, as well as minor issues devolping into major medical problems so that the ER's can do the jobs they are intended to.

Quoting bluespagan:

Well many of them are "freeloaders" in a sense.  Then again they are forced into that situation due to high insurance rates which they ca't afford or because they have a pre-existing condition.  Thankfully the Affordable Care Act will help to fix most of this, will include exemptions for some and will make getting insurance easier.  If you don't want to put the work into getting it then youi should be fined/taxed.

Citygirlk
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Its taken out of your refund like how they do it in mass.

Quoting 29again:

So, those who can and DO pay their own way get to pay twice?  I thought the whole Obama thing was all about being "fair" you know, same as equal.  IF I pay my bills, and don't rely on any kind of government help, how fricken "fair" is it that I have to pay a fricken fine, excuse me, a TAX, on top of paying my bill, in cash, in full?  That is the most messed-up asinine thing I have ever heard of.  I could take care of the free-riders in a much more simpler way, that would not penalize those who take care of themselves.

Quoting Citygirlk:

They pay a fine. Or they get it taken out of their tax refund, i forgot which one it is.

Quoting 29again:

Well, what about people who do NOT want to purchase insurance, but have the ability and the will to pay for whatever costs they incur with their own healthcare?  What happens to them?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Quoting 29again:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting 29again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't tell them that, they wont be able to bitch about people getting 10,000 dollar refunds come tax time.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting 29again:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

And you are COMPLETELY missing my point!!  A person pays their own way.  WHY should they be taxed because they don't have a POLICY!!??  What incentive is there to take care of yourself, if the gov't will just take your money?  This is to stop "free loaders," right?  So what about those who are NOT "free loaders" but do NOT want a policy with a bunch of stuff they don't want/need right now???   

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Quoting 29again:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)