Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

2 Million Families Could Go Hungry Soon - Do you or anyone else you know rely on SNAP to feed your family?

Posted by   + Show Post

2 Million Families Could Go Hungry Soon, Thanks to Congress

Posted by Adriana Velez on July 12, 2012

empty plateIf House Republicans have their way, millions of Americans are going to go hungry over the next 10 years. The Farm Bill has been making its way through the halls of Capital Hill -- quietly, because it's called the FARM Bill and most of us think it doesn't have anything to do with us. So nobody is paying attention.

But about 80 percent of the Farm Bill is actually all about food stamps and other hunger programs. And the funding for those programs is about to get slashed in a huge way. If you're on food stamps now, get ready to tighten your belts even more. Kids getting free or reduced lunch at school? That could end for them, too.

The Senate version of the bill has already passed. They voted to cut $4.5 billion from the food stamps program now called SNAP. That would mean about 500,000 households a year would lose $90 per month in SNAP benefits. 

But that's just the Senate version. The House version gets even worse. The House Agriculture Committee is proposing $16.5 billion in cuts. Almost FOUR TIMES the cuts in the Senate bill. They'll vote on it soon.

Connecticut Democrat Rep. Rosa DeLauro says that means between two and three million people would completely lose their benefits. About 300,000 kids would not get free school lunches.

You know who suffers the most from SNAP cuts? Children. Three quarters of SNAP participants are families with children. (And a quarter of them have a senior citizen or disabled person in the household.) 

It's scary how many people have gone on food stamps since the recession began in 2007. It means people just aren't making ends meet and they need help. Obviously we want the economy to improve enough so that people can get off of assistance -- but we're putting the cart before the horse here, taking away benefits before we see enough jobs for everyone. So why are we making it harder for parents to feed their children? It just doesn't make sense to me. 

By the way, a quick PSA video below just to refresh your memory on how a bill becomes a law. There's still time to stop the madness if you contact your Representatives. And read more about other families who could be affected by these cuts.

Do you or anyone else you know rely on SNAP to feed your family?

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
imamomzilla
It's been a while!
Yesterday at 3:01 PM
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe the stat you're citing is for Unemployment Insurance fraud (1.9%)...they do not factor in other entitlements.

It's amusing you would say that. You are notorious for posting anecdotal stories and hearsay...from your mother, your aunt, someone on Skype, Seamus, etc.

Please do more research and get back to us with credible proof to back up your claim.

Quoting mehamil1:

I make it a point to never believe a damn thing that comes out of the government. 

However, do you have evidence that is credible and says otherwise that is not anecdotal? 

Quoting 29again:

There is way more than 1% who use it fraudulently!  You seriously believe the gov't stats?  And yes, humans will be human, and too many only look out for themselves.  When the cuts come down, it will not be a pretty sight.  People will have to make hard decisions.  The really sad thing is, this has been planned for a long time now.  This (people not being able to purchase food) is the plan for some, and it is almost on us.  Too bad we no longer learn the skills we really need in school, or this would not be such a crisis.

Quoting mehamil1:

Of the millions who use the system, 1% use it fraudulently. At least that's the stat that the government itself puts out. 

Chalk it up to human beings being human. And our individualistic society which teaches us to look out only for ourselves. But whatever. Carry on. 

Citygirlk
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM
So people should go hungry because they cant find work and give their family three meals a day.

Quoting -Eilish-:

Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime.

SNAP and other welfare programs are proof of this proverb. If we really wanted to cure hunger, we'd be teaching people how to obtain a sustainable source of food for themselves. Welfare programs beget dependence. Dependence begets poverty. Poverty begets slavery.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Yeah raise taxes on the rich cut military spending and forgin and things like that.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

I think the kids should still get free or reduced meals at school, but food stamps really does need to get cut a bit. Sorry folks, but our country is in a recessionand the government is bankrupting itself because of all these programs. It has to give somewhere.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he can eat for a lifetime.

Quoting Citygirlk:

So people should go hungry because they cant find work and give their family three meals a day.

Quoting -Eilish-:

SNAP and other welfare programs are proof of this proverb. If we really wanted to cure hunger, we'd be teaching people how to obtain a sustainable source of food for themselves. Welfare programs beget dependence. Dependence begets poverty. Poverty begets slavery.

mehamil1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:51 PM

There are plenty of educated people out there who are looking for jobs. I'm one of them. 

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting Citygirlk:

uoting -Eilish-:

mehamil1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I posted articles from the BBC. But whatever. 

The stat is from the department of agriculture which over sees the SNAP program. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

I believe the stat you're citing is for Unemployment Insurance fraud (1.9%)...they do not factor in other entitlements.

It's amusing you would say that. You are notorious for posting anecdotal stories and hearsay...from your mother, your aunt, someone on Skype, Seamus, etc.

Please do more research and get back to us with credible proof to back up your claim.

Quoting mehamil1:

I make it a point to never believe a damn thing that comes out of the government. 

However, do you have evidence that is credible and says otherwise that is not anecdotal? 

Quoting 29again:

There is way more than 1% who use it fraudulently!  You seriously believe the gov't stats?  And yes, humans will be human, and too many only look out for themselves.  When the cuts come down, it will not be a pretty sight.  People will have to make hard decisions.  The really sad thing is, this has been planned for a long time now.  This (people not being able to purchase food) is the plan for some, and it is almost on us.  Too bad we no longer learn the skills we really need in school, or this would not be such a crisis.

mehamil1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:54 PM

That aid saved a lot of people in very poor countries. 

And probably armed a good many others. 

Quoting dl42272:

How about we cut sending foreign aid until we get our own taken care of? In 2009, we sent $28.8 billion.(looking for a more recent amount).

-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Being educated has NOTHING to do with it. So since reading doesn't seem to be in anyone's repertoire, I'll post this again (and hope that you've learned to read since the last post as knowing how to read is as essentially to living as knowing how to find food for yourself).

If we really wanted to cure hunger, we'd be teaching people how to obtain a sustainable source of food for themselves.

Ps. It doesn't take a college degree to learn how to GARDEN!!!

Quoting mehamil1:

There are plenty of educated people out there who are looking for jobs. I'm one of them. 

Quoting -Eilish-:

Quoting Citygirlk:

uoting -Eilish-:

-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Foreign aid is taking people money from poor people here and giving it rich people in poor countries. Foreign aid almost NEVER gets to the people it's intended for.

Quoting mehamil1:

That aid saved a lot of people in very poor countries. 

And probably armed a good many others. 

Quoting dl42272:

How about we cut sending foreign aid until we get our own taken care of? In 2009, we sent $28.8 billion.(looking for a more recent amount).

29again
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Evidence of which?  For the 1%?  Nah, just the amount of people that I personally know, who see no problem at all telling the whole world how much they get for all their benefits!  IDK, but when I was growing up, personal info stayed personal.  Too much over-sharing these days....  For my theory of the conspiracy?  Well, I do have some sites, but I don't know that they would be acceptable to most here.  But just for starters, it is a fact that Bill Gates wants the world population to be decreased in a major way...... that is just the beginning of it all.

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting mehamil1:

Of the millions who use the system, 1% use it fraudulently. At least that's the stat that the government itself puts out. 

Chalk it up to human beings being human. And our individualistic society which teaches us to look out only for ourselves. But whatever. Carry on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)