Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Romney's Open Letter to Obama: National Defense Spending

Posted by   + Show Post

Welcome to Virginia, Mr. President! Home of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet, the fighters at Langley AFB,  the storied Marine Base at Quantico, tens of thousands of veterans from the Battle of Guadalcanal to the Battle of Fallujah, and countless other proud military units, factories, and bases, the Commonwealth is a proud state with a proud history.

Unfortunately, the defense cuts you signed into law will hit Virginians hard. Your insistence on slashing our military to pay the tab for your irresponsible spending could see over 200,000 troops forced from service. It will shut the doors on factories and shipyards that support our warfighters, take a heavy toll on the guard and reserves, and potentially shutter Virginia military bases. It will shrink our Navy below a level that is already not adequate for protecting our national security. Mr. President, our troops, military families, and veterans want to know why defense is the only part of the federal budget you are willing to cut. They deserve better.

Under your administration, the backlog for wounded warriors receiving their disability has nearly doubled, and unemployment among young returning veterans is in double digits. The effect of forcing 200,000 additional service members out of uniform and into a faltering economy, sending them from the front lines to the unemployment lines, will overwhelm overburdened state offices like the Virginia Department of Veterans Services.  It will impose suffering and hardship on so many military families.

Every service member, veteran, and military family member in Virginia and the nation will be touched by your defense cuts. So will Virginia’s businesses and industry, large and small alike. From 2001-2010, over 14,000 Virginia businesses provided goods and services for our national defense. Unfortunately, the huge economic impact of these looming cuts is not the end of it.

Your own Secretary of Defense has said that they will be “devastating” to our national security, the same as “shooting ourselves in the head.” But when Congress presented you a way out of this mess, a mess of your own making, you threatened to veto their bill. And the reason you gave, Mr. President, is that you would not stop devastating cuts to our national security unless Congress agreed to raise our taxes.

I will use my authority as Commander-in-Chief to protect the troops, not veto efforts to protect them. I will never allow our national security to be held hostage to extract political concessions. The ultimate responsibility for securing our national defense rests with the President. I will work to solve our security problems, not spend my time shifting blame.

Virginians know that change is coming, Mr. President. In November, they will make it happen.  That is what this election is about.

The letter originally appeared in The Virginian-Pilot.

http://www.rpv.org/node/1633

Thoughts?  Should veteren support be a priority?

The most pressing social issue today is the economy

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Replies (61-69):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Quoting Carpy:

Most of thr military i know disagree with you. They are concerned

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Carpy:

The problem is not in the cuts themselves it is in what they cut. Boots on the ground are where cuts start because the pencil pushers are the ones who make the decisions and they won't eliminate themselves.

boots on the ground is a military issue, not a cut in defense contractors spending.  If a military member is getting kicked out it is because they did not do their job, cannot pass a pt test, a trouble maker, cannot make rank, basically they got themselves kicked out.

If a military member is being cut during this time of economic uncertainty, it is more likely to be because of the 'bleeding out' of our budget and less likely due to the substandard performance of the soldier themselves. 

Currently, there are over 200,000 troops and their families, that are being held in limbo by the president, as to whether they will be able to continue serving or be forced from service. Yet, you have the audacity to say they are being fired? The very same troops that served on the front lines? 

I find your comment disrespectful, thoughtless as well as irresponsible!

Oh please, my comment is neither disrespectful nor is it false.  Many soliders are being put out, barred from reenlistment or chaptered out because of their actions and not becaue they get fired, which by the way, does not happen in the military, you would know that if you had any idea how the military works.  Where are your stats on that 200,000 families.  Um did you even read the OP, you know the one you are commenting on? We are a military active duty family and have not heard of that at all, is this more of the fox slant on politics? 

unable to get promoted due to their own inability to get a higher rank, over staffed positions, article 15, unable to pass a pt test, getting introuble resulting in an article 15 etc.....  all of this is due to the solider not because of what the military has done. Get off your soap box if you have no clue:/

But that's not what you said....here it is again......

"If a military member is getting kicked out it is because they did not do their job" 

Now you are back peddling and adding.."over staffed positions" to cover your butt lol!!!

Again......I find your comment disrespectful, thoughtless as well as irresponsible!

I love your selective reading skills, did you even read the whole sentence?  Whatever, you have no clue what you are talking about.  I am not backpeddling on anything, you are trying to create  a controversy where there is not one.  Cover my butt from what or whom, YOU, lol I think not:)  disrespectful to who?  thoughtless on what grounds? and irresponsible on what counts? 

what are they concerned about???  getting kicked out? what, please do explain.  downsizing is not new, the only thing that concerns me with the military is our so-called people in charge get us into another unnecessary war and sacrifice our men and women yet again.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Carpy:

The problem is not in the cuts themselves it is in what they cut. Boots on the ground are where cuts start because the pencil pushers are the ones who make the decisions and they won't eliminate themselves.

boots on the ground is a military issue, not a cut in defense contractors spending.  If a military member is getting kicked out it is because they did not do their job, cannot pass a pt test, a trouble maker, cannot make rank, basically they got themselves kicked out.

If a military member is being cut during this time of economic uncertainty, it is more likely to be because of the 'bleeding out' of our budget and less likely due to the substandard performance of the soldier themselves. 

Currently, there are over 200,000 troops and their families, that are being held in limbo by the president, as to whether they will be able to continue serving or be forced from service. Yet, you have the audacity to say they are being fired? The very same troops that served on the front lines? 

Oh please, my comment is neither disrespectful nor is it false.  Many soliders are being put out, barred from reenlistment or chaptered out because of their actions and not becaue they get fired, which by the way, does not happen in the military, you would know that if you had any idea how the military works.  Where are your stats on that 200,000 families.  Um did you even read the OP, you know the one you are commenting on? We are a military active duty family and have not heard of that at all, is this more of the fox slant on politics? 

unable to get promoted due to their own inability to get a higher rank, over staffed positions, article 15, unable to pass a pt test, getting introuble resulting in an article 15 etc.....  all of this is due to the solider not because of what the military has done. Get off your soap box if you have no clue:/

"If a military member is getting kicked out it is because they did not do their job" 

Now you are back peddling and adding.."over staffed positions" to cover your butt lol!!!

Again......I find your comment disrespectful, thoughtless as well as irresponsible!

I love your selective reading skills, did you even read the whole sentence? Yes, changes nothing! You made a blanket statement that anyone who is being removed from service currently is because they are not doing their job. Whatever, you have no clue what you are talking about.  I am not backpeddling on anything, you are trying to create  a controversy where there is not one.  Cover my butt from what or whom From your statement in error about how anyone in military who is being asked to leave is being asked to leave because they are not "doing their job".....then in your next comment you added another reason is "over-staffed positions" lol!!! , YOU, lol I think not:)  disrespectful to who? To those who have been forced from service through no fault of their own, but rather cuts made by the president. thoughtless on what grounds? I think that one speaks for itself.  and irresponsible on what counts? Not knowing ALL the facts about why some troops are being forced from service. 

amazing:/  I made a statment that is in fact happening.  I know so many military members that are not in the least bit concerned about getting put out, you know why, because they have never gotten introuble, they are not on a constant profile, they pass thier pt test, they make rank, they do what is asked of them to succeed in their job. The military does not fire anyone..........  YOu fire yourself.  How about you put forth the facts or hell even some military members getting kicked out thru no fault of their own.  Better yet how about you join the military boards and ask them.  I am a member of several, you know being active duty family and all, and ask them yourself.   IF your crying symantics, then I guess I could say, yes some soliders, Marines, Sailors have been medically discharged due to injuries, thru no fault of their own.

LadyByrdNest
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Carpy:

I love your selective reading skills, did you even read the whole sentence? Yes, changes nothing! You made a blanket statement that anyone who is being removed from service currently is because they are not doing their job. Whatever, you have no clue what you are talking about.  I am not backpeddling on anything, you are trying to create  a controversy where there is not one.  Cover my butt from what or whom From your statement in error about how anyone in military who is being asked to leave is being asked to leave because they are not "doing their job".....then in your next comment you added another reason is "over-staffed positions" lol!!! , YOU, lol I think not:)  disrespectful to who? To those who have been forced from service through no fault of their own, but rather cuts made by the president. thoughtless on what grounds? I think that one speaks for itself.  and irresponsible on what counts? Not knowing ALL the facts about why some troops are being forced from service. 

"..... yes some soliders, Soldiers, Marines, Sailors have been medically discharged due to injuries, thru no fault of their own".

Well...at least you'll admit that much...thanks!

denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Carpy:

"..... yes some soliders, Soldiers, Marines, Sailors have been medically discharged due to injuries, thru no fault of their own".

sorry this is getting long, I have not mastered the art of cutting trees:/  I will always admit that, war has reeked havoc on our men and women in uniform.  Bombs and bullets are to blame for those being medically discharged, not because of cut backs.  It still does not prove what Mitt has said nor does it validate what you are arguing.  Now if he is talking about civilian jobs, which are a drain on tax payers and not wher ehe says he wants to lead the country especially about smaller government, then yes, those jobs will get cut, but is that not what Republicans want?  For the private sector to take up the slack with all the tax breaks and loop holes they have been given for over ten years now?  anyways, defense spending needs to be controlled and cut back, the amounts of wasted money that are going to these defense contractors on their billng is ridiculous and could save this country billions.

LadyByrdNest
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

sorry this is getting long, I have not mastered the art of cutting trees:/  I will always admit that, war has reeked havoc on our men and women in uniform.  Bombs and bullets are to blame for those being medically discharged, not because of cut backs.  It still does not prove what Mitt has said nor does it validate what you are arguing.  Now if he is talking about civilian jobs, which are a drain on tax payers and not wher ehe says he wants to lead the country especially about smaller government, then yes, those jobs will get cut, but is that not what Republicans want?  For the private sector to take up the slack with all the tax breaks and loop holes they have been given for over ten years now?  anyways, defense spending needs to be controlled and cut back, the amounts of wasted money that are going to these defense contractors on their billng is ridiculous and could save this country billions.

I believe this is what I said all along, and that is when you disagreed with me and said if a military member is being forced out of service it was their own fault. Then when I questioned further, you back-peddled a little (over-staffed positions), and then a little more (medical discharge), no? 

This is what I said...."If a military member is being cut during this time of economic uncertainty, it is more likely to be because of the 'bleeding out' of our budget and less likely due to the substandard performance of the soldier themselves".  So are you now saying you agree with my initial comment?

lorenska
by Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I don't know about you, but my healthcare is not free...maybe you're talking about VA benefits, and you're right, those are nice to have, but for me and my son, we pay for TriCare. I don't even mind paying more than we do now - yes, we have low premiums - but a 400% increase is a lot, especially when civilian DOD employees are not included in that increase. As for your insistence that I'm boring you because it's not true anyway, I've been told directly from the military that the increases are being proposed, so that's all I was referring to.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting lorenska:

Well perhaps my healthcare premiums won't reach the levels of civilian prices, but my husband spent 20 years in the Navy, defending this country, and he also signed a contract that said, "If you give 20 years of your life to the military, your healthcare costs will be X for the rest of your life." Now that's being changed, and the increase is ONLY for troops and retired troops, not for civilian DOD workers. Oh and by the way, military salaries are nowhere near what civilians get paid either (for the most part), so it's kind of a trade off.

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting lorenska:

You beat me to it, that's exactly what I was going to say....of course there are areas in defense that can be cut, there's tons of waste and duplicated efforts and waaaayyy to much bureaucracy. But when our troops are getting sent into battle with substandard equipment - and by the way getting PEANUTS to get shot at and blown up - something is seriously wrong. The cuts need to be made intelligently, so that our troops and our national security do not suffer. Oh, and as the wife of a retired sailor, it would be SOOO great, Mr. President, if you perhaps didn't raise our medical benefit premiums by 400% like you've threatened to do. Thanks so much.

Quoting Carpy:

your arguement about the insurance rates going up like that have been debunked so many times on the military boards it is boring.  Even with an increase we would not be paying anything or anywhere near what civilians are paying or would ever pay.  The substandard equipment is becaue the contractors that get paid ridiculous amounts of money to make it, want more and send out substandard shit.  Troops that are getting cut are becaue they fail in performing thier jobs, period.  Defense spending needs to be controlled should have happened along time ago.

Lets be honest here for a minute.  Where in any other civilain job can you retire at 38 or so and get free healthcre for the rest of your life????  Nowhere thats where:/  YOu are right our pay is not what a civilian may get paid but we get benefits for sacrificing  serving the USA. 

LadyByrdNest
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Well?

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Great letter!

denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

I believe this is what I said all along, and that is when you disagreed with me and said if a military member is being forced out of service it was their own fault. Then when I questioned further, you back-peddled a little (over-staffed positions), and then a little more (medical discharge), no? 

This is what I said...."If a military member is being cut during this time of economic uncertainty, it is more likely to be because of the 'bleeding out' of our budget and less likely due to the substandard performance of the soldier themselves".  So are you now saying you agree with my initial comment?

this is what I said in full context:

If a military member is getting kicked out it is because they did not do their job, cannot pass a pt test, a trouble maker, cannot make rank, basically they got themselves kicked out.

Now where did I backpeddle????  and no I do not agree, I stated and still stand by what I have said all the times we have goneback and forth.  IF a military member is being kicked out it is because they have gotten themselves kicked out, minus the ones that came home from war injured.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)