Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Business Group Fires Back at Obama's "You Didn't Build Your Business" Speech

Posted by   + Show Post
Business

‘Utter Lack of Understanding': Bi-Partisan Business Group Fires Back at Obama‘s 'You Didn‘t Build Your Business' Speech

Utter Lack of Understanding: Bi Partisan Business Group Fires Back at Obamas You Didnt Build Your Business SpeechThe National Federation of Independent Businesses (NFIB), the nation's leading bipartisan small-business advocacy group, has released a statement criticizing President Obama for saying that it's only through the grace of government that anyone has ever succeeded.

"What a disappointment to hear President Obama‘s revealing comments challenging the significance of America's entrepreneurs," NFIB President Dan Danne said in a statement to Mail Online.

"His unfortunate remarks over the weekend show an utter lack of understanding and appreciation for the people who take a huge personal risk and work endless hours to start a business and create jobs," he added.

(Related: President Obama: ‘If You've Got a Business - You Didn't Build That. Somebody Else Made That Happen')

President Obama argued during his speech Friday night in Roanoke, Va., that entrepreneurs only succeed when government lets them, saying: "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

"You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, ‘well, it must be because I was just so smart,'" he added.

With language like that, it's not really surprising that small-business advocacy groups are a little, um, "irate."

"I'm sure every small-business owner who took a second mortgage on their home, maxed out their credit cards or borrowed money from their own retirement savings to start their business disagrees strongly with President Obama's claim," an NFIB spokesman said.

"They know that hard work does matter," he added. "Every small business is not indebted to the government or some other benefactor. If anything, small businesses are historically an economic and job-creating powerhouse in spite of the government."

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Replies (71-80):
-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

See there you go again, making accusations based on presumptions.

I'm libertarian and don't support the establishment Republicans.

I find them just as despicable as Obama and his goons.
It's not left vs right, it's the state vs you!

Democrats Love Government Republicans Hate Liberty Does it count as an abortion if a republican drops a bomb on a pregnant woman? How is a nation divided when the candidates agree Real Americans Love Liberty Screw left and right Choose Liberty The left is for war The right is wrong the left is stupid with communism on the left I think therefore I am Libertarain Vote Libertarian. They only want to repeal shit. Obamas fired more cruise missiles Obama You'll get used to Fascism! Nothing changed Bush killed the constitution Obama has buried it Still believe the democrats will end the wars Drink the Koolaid Hope seriously I cant believe you fell for that shit I refuse to leave our children Liberals dont mind same shit different piles Wrong Obama Romney

Quoting LBAY:

well, now that you've confirmed that you have no interest in intelligently discussion policy and instead want to focus on posting inflamitory pics....

Quoting -Eilish-:

Not sincere? You don't know just how sincere I am.

Quoting LBAY:

It is absolutely not sincere, true or whole-hearted in any way shape or form.

My parents, business owners for 30 years, would disagree with you. And working along side them since childhood, so would I. Obama is 100% correct-- no one got where they are without help from others. Whether it's a federally backed/secured bank, a government program, public schools, public roads, mentoring programs, I could go on and on.

To say otherwise is flat out dishonest.

Quoting -Eilish-:

I guarantee that the image is sincere, true, and whole-hearted. Devious? Maybe, but so was Obama's comment. 

Having owned a business, anyone who says that a business is not built by the entrepreneur is an idiot and has never ran a business themselves and is therefore speaking out of their ass. I mean that genuinely btw. It is the hardest, most thankless job - right up there with motherhood. Customers cannot and do not build the company - they benefit from the entrepreneurs hard work.

Quoting LBAY:

"Disingenuous: Not candid or sincere. Synonyms: insincere - false - devious - hollow-hearted"

That is the context in which I meant that comment.

No president is expected--or quite frankly would be advised and possibly even permitted--to go into direct combat.   As the Commander in Chief, he is responsible for making executive level decisions, which is what he did.

There was only a 40 percent chance Osama Bin Laden was actually in the compound. The CIA put the odds at 60 percent. Yet Obama is the one who decided to attack and worked with the Chiefs of Staff to craft plan that put the least American lives in danger, and that would ensure we had hit our target. Others suggested drone or missile strikes, which would have put fewer American lives in jeopardy, but we may have never known if Osama bin Laden had been in the building at all.

He gave the order and put his reputation and political future on the line should it go wrong. You say that he had nothing to do with it, but he is the one you would have blamed would it have gone wrong, if Osama had gotten away, if Americans had died, or if Osama bin Laden attacked America again. 

To allege that he had nothing to do with it is insincere, false and devious. And unfortunately, it's a major reason why this country is so completely divided, leading to a complete standstill in Congress.

"The Republicans have glommed on to a neat rhetorical trick: When Barack Obama does something indisputably admirable or effective, simply pretend that he had nothing to do with it."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/05/barack_obama_s_decision_to_go_after_osama_bin_laden_how_the_president_overruled_his_advisers_in_ordering_the_assassination.html

I would have more respect for the opinions of conservatives if they were honest. Even as a staunch liberal, I will give credit where credit is due--to a conservative or republican, etc-- when they do something I agree with, even if it's begrudgingly. I did not like much of anything about Bush, for example, but I can at least say he did the right thing in passing TARP.

The inability of conservatives to give any credit to this president for anything at all whatsoever, demostrates that above all, you care more about hating this president than any alleged concerns over his policies in general or the welfare of the country.

Quoting -Eilish-:

dis·in·gen·u·ous/ˌdisinˈjenyo͞oəs/

Adjective:
Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

That's funny - this is the very definition of disingenuous. Please explain.

Quoting LBAY:

Oh that is the definition of disingenuous

Quoting -Eilish-:

LBAY
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Perhaps in theory, but not as often in reality:

Cato Institutue: "Libertarians have generally voted Republican—66 percent for Ronald Reagan in 1980, 74 percent for George H. W. Bush in 1988, and 72 percent for George W. Bush in 2000."

Quoting -Eilish-:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM

MANALAPAN, Fla. -- President Barack Obama is denouncing as "bogus" criticism from Mitt Romney and Republicans about his stance on entrepreneurship and the supportive role government plays.

Romney is running an ad that shows Obama saying "If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

But Obama prefaced that remark by making references to the role teachers play and how government pays for the infrastructure that lets businesses thrive.

In an interview with WCTV-TV in Tallahassee that aired Friday, Obama says: "What I said was together we build roads and we build bridges."

He added: "That's the point I've made millions of times, and by the way, that's a point Mr. Romney has made as well, so this is just a bogus issue."

Watch It : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/obama-business-build-that_n_1688865.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

imamomzilla
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:24 PM

The Heritage Foundation's Facebook page

imamomzilla
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Rep. Darrell Issa's Facebook page

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Quoting dl42272:

LOL! Not quite the same. But, ok. This is what happens when Obama helps a business...

Amonix: Another Obama-Subsidized Solar Company Fails

Yet another example of the Obama White House's failed attempt to pick winners and losers and doing so by gambling with our our tax dollars, this time to the tune of $6 million in tax credits and $15.6 in grant money from the U.S. Department of Energy.

This company, Amonix, is only 14 months old.

How in the world did it qualify for that kind of tax dollar windfall without any kind of track record?

Oh:

Nevada Sen. Harry Reid, U.S. Rep. Shelley Berkley, D-Nev., and Gov. Brian Sandoval were among the political leaders who lauded the company when it announced it would start making solar cells in the Golden Triangle Industrial Park.

And naturally, Obama has his fingerprints all over it:

The Amonix solar manufacturing plant in North Las Vegas, heavily financed under an Obama administration energy initiative, has closed its 214,000-square-foot facility 14 months after it opened.

Officials at Amonix headquarters in Seal Beach, Calif., have not responded to repeated calls for comment this week. The company today began selling equipment, from automated tooling systems to robotic welding cells.

A designer and manufacturer of concentrated photovoltaic solar power systems, Amonix received $6 million in federal tax credits and a $15.6 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy to build the plant in North Las Vegas.

And here is the likely reason why Obama had to rush in where venture capitalists feared to tread:

"I don't think they had a lot of training," Kenerly said. "There were a lot of quality issues. A lot of stuff was coming back because it had some functionality issues."

Don't know about you, but stories like this only serve to once again point out how absurd it is that the Obama campaign and its Media Palace Guards are obsessed with what Mitt Romney did with his own money and hardly concerned at all with what Obama is doing to squander our money.

More...

From the Amonix website:

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid “Flips the Switch” on Amonix Concentrated Photovoltaic Solar Plant at Southern Nevada Water Treatment Facility

308 kW (DC) CPV Plant Owned and Operated by the Southern Nevada Water Authority

Date of Publication: 05/15/2010

Henderson, Nevada – May 15, 2010 – U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid today presided over a ceremony to “flip the switch” at the first Concentrated Photovoltaic (CPV) solar energy plant owned and operated by the Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA) at its River Mountains Water Treatment Facility. Amonix, a leading supplier of CPV solar systems for sunny and dry climates, designed and manufactured the plant. Other dignitaries present included Jared Blumenfeld, Region 9 Administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency, Shari Buck, Chair of SNWA Board of Directors and Mayor of North Las Vegas, and executives of SNWA, TWC Construction and Amonix.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting dl42272:

If you want to give others credit - more power to you. I only credit 4 people - my children. Because without them, I could have stayed in the crappy job I had.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

This is so sad that it's funny...

I have a little side business myself (graphic artist). I would not be able to have this business if (1) I wasn't taught how to use a computer. (2) If computers did not exist in the first place. (3) I never learned how to use photoshop creative suite (someone had to teach me how) (4) if there weren't people who proved that being a graphic artist can be profitable (5) without all of those who came before me that helped create the conditions that we now live in that enables me a Black woman, to be able to do this and (6) my customers, because there are a million and one graphic artists in the world and thankfully, I had people around me that gave me a chance. There were other businesses that took a chance on me when I first started. They didn't have to, but they did. So as much hard work that I put in myself, yes I do owe my success to others who have helped and continue to help...

No matter what we do and accomplish in life... we have not done it alone. There were people who took chances on us. There are people who taught us the things that we know. There are the those who supported our dreams. There are those that even tore us down: guess what , we used that negativity as motivators to do what was in our hearts. So many things go into having a successful business, big or small... And in my opinion, it's kind of a slap in the face to those who did and continue to support us to say that everything we've done, we did on our own... 

Well guess what?... you just proved my point... you owe it to someone else don't you... I say the same about my son. I tell him everyday that I owe him so much, because had it not been for him, I would not be back in school today finishing up my Bachelor's, Iwouldn't be as happy and content as I am now, I damn sure wouldn't be as focused and driven as I am now. As I said before, there is nothing that we can accomplish all on our own...

Sweetie... I'm laughing because just like Obama's speech, apparently my words have also gone over your head. lol... Pull up all of the articles that you want, they still don't take away the truth of my words which is that there is nothing that we do, nothing that we accomplish all on our own. As far as your article, what does that prove. To me it proves something else that I kow to be true: when you are daring enough to venture into the unknown, in this case alternative energy, there will be hits and misses. Even when people take chances and step into well established industries, guess what, there still will be hits and misses. Everybody is not going to be a success. Some will. Some won't. Some will break even. Some will go under. But, does that mean that people are not supposed to try? Individual success and failure is a combination of so many things, and you know this.

I respect the fact that while this company may have went under, Pres. Obama atleast lived up to his words that we as a nation do need to be less reliant on foreign energy sources and we need to invest in American companies that are willing to be pioneers in a new industry that will help us be  more independent as far as energy production is concerned. If I'm wrong... let me know...

Also... there are businesses that would have never had the capital to get started if it were not for government programs that help small businesses, minorities, women etc... The college I attend has a small business development center and it is packed everyday...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

dl42272
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Quoting dl42272:

lol...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Another one who gets her news from quips on the internet.

Quoting -Eilish-:

It's not left vs right, it's the state vs you!

Democrats Love Government Republicans Hate Liberty Does it count as an abortion if a republican drops a bomb on a pregnant woman? How is a nation divided when the candidates agree Real Americans Love Liberty Screw left and right Choose Liberty The left is for war The right is wrong the left is stupid with communism on the left I think therefore I am Libertarain Vote Libertarian. They only want to repeal shit. Obamas fired more cruise missiles Obama You'll get used to Fascism! Nothing changed Bush killed the constitution Obama has buried it Still believe the democrats will end the wars Drink the Koolaid Hope seriously I cant believe you fell for that shit I refuse to leave our children Liberals dont mind same shit different piles Wrong Obama Romney

Quoting LBAY:

well, now that you've confirmed that you have no interest in intelligently discussion policy and instead want to focus on posting inflamitory pics....

Quoting -Eilish-:

Not sincere? You don't know just how sincere I am.

Quoting LBAY:

It is absolutely not sincere, true or whole-hearted in any way shape or form.

My parents, business owners for 30 years, would disagree with you. And working along side them since childhood, so would I. Obama is 100% correct-- no one got where they are without help from others. Whether it's a federally backed/secured bank, a government program, public schools, public roads, mentoring programs, I could go on and on.

To say otherwise is flat out dishonest.

Quoting -Eilish-:

I guarantee that the image is sincere, true, and whole-hearted. Devious? Maybe, but so was Obama's comment. 

Having owned a business, anyone who says that a business is not built by the entrepreneur is an idiot and has never ran a business themselves and is therefore speaking out of their ass. I mean that genuinely btw. It is the hardest, most thankless job - right up there with motherhood. Customers cannot and do not build the company - they benefit from the entrepreneurs hard work.

Quoting LBAY:

"Disingenuous: Not candid or sincere. Synonyms: insincere - false - devious - hollow-hearted"

That is the context in which I meant that comment.

No president is expected--or quite frankly would be advised and possibly even permitted--to go into direct combat.   As the Commander in Chief, he is responsible for making executive level decisions, which is what he did.

There was only a 40 percent chance Osama Bin Laden was actually in the compound. The CIA put the odds at 60 percent. Yet Obama is the one who decided to attack and worked with the Chiefs of Staff to craft plan that put the least American lives in danger, and that would ensure we had hit our target. Others suggested drone or missile strikes, which would have put fewer American lives in jeopardy, but we may have never known if Osama bin Laden had been in the building at all.

He gave the order and put his reputation and political future on the line should it go wrong. You say that he had nothing to do with it, but he is the one you would have blamed would it have gone wrong, if Osama had gotten away, if Americans had died, or if Osama bin Laden attacked America again. 

To allege that he had nothing to do with it is insincere, false and devious. And unfortunately, it's a major reason why this country is so completely divided, leading to a complete standstill in Congress.

"The Republicans have glommed on to a neat rhetorical trick: When Barack Obama does something indisputably admirable or effective, simply pretend that he had nothing to do with it."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/05/barack_obama_s_decision_to_go_after_osama_bin_laden_how_the_president_overruled_his_advisers_in_ordering_the_assassination.html

I would have more respect for the opinions of conservatives if they were honest. Even as a staunch liberal, I will give credit where credit is due--to a conservative or republican, etc-- when they do something I agree with, even if it's begrudgingly. I did not like much of anything about Bush, for example, but I can at least say he did the right thing in passing TARP.

The inability of conservatives to give any credit to this president for anything at all whatsoever, demostrates that above all, you care more about hating this president than any alleged concerns over his policies in general or the welfare of the country.

Quoting -Eilish-:

dis·in·gen·u·ous/ˌdisinˈjenyo͞oəs/

Adjective:
Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

That's funny - this is the very definition of disingenuous. Please explain.

Quoting LBAY:

Oh that is the definition of disingenuous

Quoting -Eilish-:

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:12 PM

And there are many more that never would have gotten started if not for the private sector venture capitalists.

Quoting dl42272:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN