Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Politicians remarks on the CO tragedy

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM
  • 10 Replies

Bloomberg - soothing words not enough! LINK

Gohmert - An attack on Judeo Christian beliefs - LINK

Obama - Politics can wait, this day is for prayer & reflection - LINK & Official statement  LINK

President Obama released a statement Friday morning reacting to an overnight shooting that took place in a crowded Aurora, Colorado movie theater.

“Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my Administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time,” said Obama.

“We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family. All of us must have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends, and neighbors, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come.”

Romney - Mitt & Ann Express sorrow for the victims - LINK

“Ann and I are deeply saddened by the news of the senseless violence that took the lives of 15 people in Colorado and injured dozens more,” said Romney. “We are praying for the families and loved ones of the victims during this time of deep shock and immense grief. We expect that the person responsible for this terrible crime will be quickly brought to justice.”

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I see this tragic incident as another reason why we need stricter gun control.  I feel that this awful tragedy could have been avoided.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

It could have

Quoting matreshka:

I see this tragic incident as another reason why we need stricter gun control.  I feel that this awful tragedy could have been avoided.

KCayea
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

i doubt stricter gun controll would have done anything. if someone wants to go on a shooting rampage they will get guns. by illegal means period. Its very sad very,  I work 3rd shift and was listening to the radio with tears in my eyes.

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder if this incident isn't a reflection of our societies inability to recognize serious mental health issues before it get the point where a crazy lunatic is shooting into groups of people.  This really reminds me of the Arizona shooting with Gabby Gifford.

I don't think stricter gun control would have done anything to prevent this.

When I was younger I was a comic geek.. I just can't see one of my fellow comic geeks doing this.  :(

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this

With his obvious capabilities at his apartment, just imagine the damage he could have done without a gun.

Quoting matreshka:

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 7:14 AM

He did do A LOT of damage with guns though. That can't be forgotten.

Quoting Carpy:

With his obvious capabilities at his apartment, just imagine the damage he could have done without a gun.

Quoting matreshka:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I hate guns.  I am sickened at the thought of even holding one.  I fear them.

I am also a strong advocate for Second Amendment rights, because I believe if we ban guns in large part only criminals and government will have them.  That is bad for everyone.

However, I also think the interpretation of the Second Amendment has been too broad and that the Founders didn't see how far technology would bring weaponry.  The types of guns that were available in the 18th century would have made a mass killing like we see today impossible.  What if someone could miniaturize a nuke and create a shoulder launcher for it?  Should we say that's OK too?  (I know, we can't do that, and I'm reaching to the nth degree for illustrative purpose).

What we need is to find ways to better serve the mentally ill (violently and psychotically mentally ill in particular) populations so we can identify troublemakers and restrict the guns from them, and get them into treatment.

When the gunman's mother was informed of what had happened, her response was that she was sure it was her son and she was not surprised.  Why???  And if she knew that he could have done such a thing, what was being done to try and prevent the tragedy?

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I think quality mental health treatment is sorely lacking in most of the country.  Also, the meds that are out there to treat serious mental illness, mostly the atypical anti-psychotics don't work that well and cause a variety of physical health problems which deter people from wanting to stay on them.  Further, meds alone do not full help even the most severe cases of mental illness, it's not enough to prescribe heavy sedatives (which are what the anti-psychotics really are) and let a person fend for themselves.  Community support is crucial as well as coping skills for day to day living.

Quoting tooptimistic:

I wonder if this incident isn't a reflection of our societies inability to recognize serious mental health issues before it get the point where a crazy lunatic is shooting into groups of people.  This really reminds me of the Arizona shooting with Gabby Gifford.

I don't think stricter gun control would have done anything to prevent this.

When I was younger I was a comic geek.. I just can't see one of my fellow comic geeks doing this.  :(

PeeperSqueak
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it could have been avoided had a person or two with a concealed gun permit (good citizen) to nip it in the bud at the very beginning. And not given Holmes the chance to kill a bunch of people.

Nice picture

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It could have

Quoting matreshka:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Thank you

It could have also been avoided or at least not been as bad if these assault weapons were not available to the general public

Also, we need a better mental health system and a way to address people with such issues

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Yes it could have been avoided had a person or two with a concealed gun permit (good citizen) to nip it in the bud at the very beginning. And not given Holmes the chance to kill a bunch of people.

Nice picture

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It could have

Quoting matreshka:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)