Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Atheist Group Rebukes Obama Over Prayer For Victims Of Colorado Movie Shooting…

Posted by   + Show Post

(WZ)

Militant Atheists are always finding new and creative ways to turn people off from their cause.

Via Beltway Confidential:

“May the Lord bring them comfort and healing in hard days to come,” President Obama said at the end of his speech today, referring to the victims of the Batman shooting in Colorado and their families. By doing so, he “ben[t] the rules” against government establishing a religion, according to the Center for Secular Humanism.

“I think it’s a little unfortunate,” CSH director Tom Flynn told The Washington Examiner. “Even in a situation like this, [when] he leads a public prayer to a deity that it pretty recognizably the Christian God, much as you can understand the emotional context of it, he’s still sending to some degree a message of exclusion to other religions who don’t call their god “Lord” and to non-religious Americans.”

“By the very act of praying, that’s a message of exclusion,” he continued. “If I’m a public official, I think I’m going to look around in the morning and conclude that, ‘hey, this religion thing is just too hot to handle, I should stay away from it in my official capacity.’”

How did you feel when the POTUS said a prayer and had a moment of silence?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm an atheist (notice the small A and not the capital A) and I don't get offended if the President offers a prayer.  He's just a man, and if he has those beliefs, he's entitled.

Militant and zealous anything is always a problem.

Most, most, the vast majority of atheists do not belong and are not affiliated with any organization under the umbrella of atheism. 

And, because there is no oversight, no organization, no head of atheism (since it's just a personal conclusion about lack of supernatural deity) anyone can start an organization and call it for atheists, no matter how intended.

They do not speak for me and they do not speak for most. 

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the prayer was appropriate.  I don't think it was in anyway pushing religion. Its sad that some athiests have to feel the need to speak for all athiests. To me that sounds like a form of religous obligation in itself. Most athiests I know, like dh, just ignore things like this.

Sweet_Faith
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

That Atheist group are beyond ridiculous and for them to make an issue out of this tragedy is tragic itself. As far as Obama goes I question a lot of things about him, but glad he did what he did, then again if he didn't that would make him look really bad as a president and a human being, but God knows his heart when it comes to sincerety. For someone to pretend to pray for something like this would make them a horrible person, I think his prayer was real and shows he's only human, he's not a monster, everything but that.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree the Lord knows when we are sincere or not.I give Obama credit for this one.IMO a prayer was highly appropriate.Terrible what happened and we really never know when or how our time will come.So enjoy every second and family is most important.On another note the cops should have just shot that sob dead..

LBAY
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:37 AM
And you sound like a typiccal condescending christian. I swear, people like you just love to make up situations where you are "persecuted", I think you think it makes you more "christlike" if you can claim you too were persecuted "just like jesus!"

The reason you have come across a lot of "bitter, angry, with a chip on their shoulder" atheists, is probably because they are responding to your nastiness and bigotry.

the "right thing to do" is to treat people well, and not make judgments about them because they don't believe what you believe. Your own jesus wasn't even a christian, he was a jew. I would be highly surpised if he would sign off on your condescending and insincere "i will pray for you because I am right and you are wrong!" Lol.

I will pray for you instead, how about that? I pray now to the god of science and reason, that you too shall one day see the light! And realize that using your religion as a reason to hate others is just wrong. And to learn critical thinking skills, and to realize that this country is not a "christian nation", and as a christian, that doesn't give you the right to impose your religion on others. oh god of science and reason, please remove the hate and sense of false victimhood from her heart and help her be a nicer person who actually exemplifies the positive aspects of her religion, instead of all of the many, many negative bigotted ones that give her, people like her and often even her religion a bad name. I ask because "i am right". Amen.

God of reason and science loves you!

Quoting cbk_mom3:

No, shame on you. The proof is in this entire post. For a group of Atheists to condemn the President for praying for a terrible national tragedy proves right there they are trying to "convert" everyone. They could have just kept their mouths shut, and realized this is an exceptional situation, and let it go. But, NO! They have to make a big deal of it, and well, frankly, SHAME ON THEM! As I said, I'll continue to pray for all Atheists, and that's my right as an American, and a Christian, and too bad if you or anyone else doesn't like it. I don't do it to be "liked" by Atheists, I do it because it's the right thing to do, and it's what God wants me to do, and I don't answer to you, or anyone else BUT God. And,yeah, for the record, I have met many Atheists. And, the majority of them I've met on here have been exactly like you are. Bitter, with a chip on their should and something to prove. And, I've yet to see any one that gives the respect they demand, and you have proven that very point in spades. I don't know how you "think" or "feel", but I know how you sound, and you sound, as I said, like a bitter Atheist, with a chip on her shoulder and something to prove. You are disrepectful, and hateful, and confrontational. Just as every other Atheist I've ever encountered on here is.

Quoting LBAY:

What are atheists trying to shove down peoples throats? i have never in my life met an atheist who tried to convert anyone to atheism. On the other hand I am confronted every day with christians trying to do exactly that, as well as insert their religion into every sphere of govnt and public education, expecting atheist taxpayers like me to foot the bill. then turn around and cry that they (the vast majority in this country) are being "persecuted" if anyone objects and points out it's unconstitutional.

"they" want respect but don't give respect? So now you've met every atheist? Please tell me more about how I think and feel. I think too often when religious people complain about not getting "respect" from atheists, what they are really saying is that they are upset they weren't able to impose their beliefs on others.

If you have a problem with what one atheist does or says, blame it on that person, not on all atheists. You are making broad generalizations and stereotyping.

I don't agree with him that this is a violation of separation of church and state. As someone who works with that org on occasion, I don't even know if I believe he said this. But I think the real militants are the ones that take the tragic events of today and try to turn it into a reason to bash atheists. Shame on you.

Quoting cbk_mom3:

I hope he was sincere. As for the Atheists, they insist and demand respect and whatever else they try to shove down everyone's throats, but refuse to reciprocate. I'll be praying for all of them, as I am the victims in Colorado.

Quoting imamomzilla:

P.S. You're so bad.

At least he didn't give a "shout out" before it....remember the Fort Hood Massacre?

crying mini

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

To be honest with you while listening to this I had to wonder whom he was speaking of. Allah or God.  I would be touched had I believed if BO was sincere.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
So the groups that want to be free of religious persecution are persecuting someone for their beliefs. How wonderfully hypocritical. And before everyone freaks out I am a Christian but I believe that everyone has a right to their own beliefs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cbk_mom3
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I never said one word about being persecuted, you are making things up as you go. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pray for me! One can NEVER have too many prayers, and I'll be praying for you, as well, to the God of Heaven and Earth, that the blinders are lifted from your eyes before it's too late. You have a great day, and may God greatly bless and keep you!

Quoting LBAY:

And you sound like a typiccal condescending christian. I swear, people like you just love to make up situations where you are "persecuted", I think you think it makes you more "christlike" if you can claim you too were persecuted "just like jesus!"

The reason you have come across a lot of "bitter, angry, with a chip on their shoulder" atheists, is probably because they are responding to your nastiness and bigotry.

the "right thing to do" is to treat people well, and not make judgments about them because they don't believe what you believe. Your own jesus wasn't even a christian, he was a jew. I would be highly surpised if he would sign off on your condescending and insincere "i will pray for you because I am right and you are wrong!" Lol.

I will pray for you instead, how about that? I pray now to the god of science and reason, that you too shall one day see the light! And realize that using your religion as a reason to hate others is just wrong. And to learn critical thinking skills, and to realize that this country is not a "christian nation", and as a christian, that doesn't give you the right to impose your religion on others. oh god of science and reason, please remove the hate and sense of false victimhood from her heart and help her be a nicer person who actually exemplifies the positive aspects of her religion, instead of all of the many, many negative bigotted ones that give her, people like her and often even her religion a bad name. I ask because "i am right". Amen.

God of reason and science loves you!

Quoting cbk_mom3:

No, shame on you. The proof is in this entire post. For a group of Atheists to condemn the President for praying for a terrible national tragedy proves right there they are trying to "convert" everyone. They could have just kept their mouths shut, and realized this is an exceptional situation, and let it go. But, NO! They have to make a big deal of it, and well, frankly, SHAME ON THEM! As I said, I'll continue to pray for all Atheists, and that's my right as an American, and a Christian, and too bad if you or anyone else doesn't like it. I don't do it to be "liked" by Atheists, I do it because it's the right thing to do, and it's what God wants me to do, and I don't answer to you, or anyone else BUT God. And,yeah, for the record, I have met many Atheists. And, the majority of them I've met on here have been exactly like you are. Bitter, with a chip on their should and something to prove. And, I've yet to see any one that gives the respect they demand, and you have proven that very point in spades. I don't know how you "think" or "feel", but I know how you sound, and you sound, as I said, like a bitter Atheist, with a chip on her shoulder and something to prove. You are disrepectful, and hateful, and confrontational. Just as every other Atheist I've ever encountered on here is.

Quoting LBAY:

What are atheists trying to shove down peoples throats? i have never in my life met an atheist who tried to convert anyone to atheism. On the other hand I am confronted every day with christians trying to do exactly that, as well as insert their religion into every sphere of govnt and public education, expecting atheist taxpayers like me to foot the bill. then turn around and cry that they (the vast majority in this country) are being "persecuted" if anyone objects and points out it's unconstitutional.

"they" want respect but don't give respect? So now you've met every atheist? Please tell me more about how I think and feel. I think too often when religious people complain about not getting "respect" from atheists, what they are really saying is that they are upset they weren't able to impose their beliefs on others.

If you have a problem with what one atheist does or says, blame it on that person, not on all atheists. You are making broad generalizations and stereotyping.

I don't agree with him that this is a violation of separation of church and state. As someone who works with that org on occasion, I don't even know if I believe he said this. But I think the real militants are the ones that take the tragic events of today and try to turn it into a reason to bash atheists. Shame on you.

Quoting cbk_mom3:

I hope he was sincere. As for the Atheists, they insist and demand respect and whatever else they try to shove down everyone's throats, but refuse to reciprocate. I'll be praying for all of them, as I am the victims in Colorado.

Quoting imamomzilla:

P.S. You're so bad.

At least he didn't give a "shout out" before it....remember the Fort Hood Massacre?

crying mini

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

To be honest with you while listening to this I had to wonder whom he was speaking of. Allah or God.  I would be touched had I believed if BO was sincere.

billsfan1104
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM
They should be pissed by Romneys speech more. To me Romney said more. And also Obama seemed to stumble throughout like he was thinking of the atheists and he seemed uncomfortable to me speakjng about praying for the victims.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
0Kit0
by Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:08 PM
He's the president of the United States, praying isn't the worst thing he could be doing, however, I don't think it was the best idea in an election year. We know how folks get about religion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I think Christians like you could just keep your mouths shut. 

I doubt you saw the atheists you met on here with a clear eye. The log in it was obstructing your view to who they really are as human beings. 

I have yet to meet a confrontational atheist on here. But you, little miss Christian, have been nothing but vile, mean, confrontational, irrational, bigoted, insane, and a whole steaming pile of disrespectful. All the things that play into the stereotype that Christians are foaming at the mouth, crazy, unhinged, disrespectful, and downright mean. You are one of "those" Christians. 

Shame on you lady. Way to NOT walk the path Jesus laid out. 

Quoting cbk_mom3:

Quoting LBAY:

Quoting cbk_mom3:

Quoting imamomzilla:

P.S. You're so bad.

crying mini

Quoting PeeperSqueak:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)