Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Online Seller Says Pro-Obama Gear Sales Down, Anti-Obama Gear Surging

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Report: Online Seller Says Pro-Obama Gear Sales Down, Anti-Obama Gear Surging

Remember back in 2008 when you could barely look around without seeing something that said "Hope" or "Change" or looked kinda' like the Pepsi logo?

Report: Pro Obama Gear Sales Plummets, Anti Obama Gear Surges 

Well, we‘ve come a long way from '08 and it looks like syrupy, sentimental Obama gear isn't very popular anymore. But more than just a decline in pro-Obama merchandise, there's been a spike in anti-Obama gear.

"During the first six months of 2008, 86 percent of Obama-related sales at CafePress [an online merchandise store] were pro-Obama - just 14 percent were anti-Obama," writes The Daily Caller's Caroline May.

"Over the first six months of 2012, 45 percent of Obama merchandise sales have been pro-Obama, 55 percent have been anti-Obama," she adds.

Report: Pro Obama Gear Sales Plummets, Anti Obama Gear SurgesImage courtesy The DC

And even more telling: pro-Mitt Romney gear has been selling far better than the Obama friendly material.

"Over the same 2012 time frame, 95 percent of Romney gear purchases have been pro-Romney - just 5 percent have been anti-Romney," May reports.

Report: Pro Obama Gear Sales Plummets, Anti Obama Gear SurgesImage courtesy The DC

How did The DC figure this out? What were the metrics?

"CafePress is an online custom merchandise shop that tracks its election-themed sales via an ‘Election Meter,'" May explains. "The company believes that such political sales can act as a barometer for electoral success."

"We believe that how people spend money on political merchandise is a leading indicator of how they will ultimately vote," Marc Cowlin, director of marketing for CafePress, told The Daily Caller.

"At CafePress we track the spending on candidate related gear and report our trends through The Meter, which are often in line with polls and voting results," he adds.

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Not surprising. I'm waiting for the t-shirt 'Obama worst President in American history'. I will purchase the shirt for a souvenir~

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Ha! I might have to buy that t-shirt, too. obama worst President in American history.

mehamil1
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Andrew Jackson finished off the genocide of Native Americans. I say he's the worst. 

Quoting gsprofval:

Ha! I might have to buy that t-shirt, too. obama worst President in American history.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Maybe most of the people who like Obama already bought their gear, and it's new gear for the people who are against him.

You never know what inspires shoppers.

I hate political shirts and never wear them.

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

The opposition always spends more on gear than the status quo.  People really want to get their voices heard that they want Obama (or any incumbent for that matter)  out, I think many Obama supporters are confident he will win a second term.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

When is the Anna Wintour's Obama Reelection Collection going to hit Filene's Basement?

cbk_mom3
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

My, my, my. How the mighty have fallen! Couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving guy!

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Quoting romalove:

Maybe most of the people who like Obama already bought their gear, and it's new gear for the people who are against him.

You never know what inspires shoppers.

I hate political shirts and never wear them.

My thought too.

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM

bump

im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Yep I already have Obama gear. From shirts to shot glasses. I didn't need anything this year, but a 2012 t-shirt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)