Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Rahm Emanuel’s Odd Idea Of “Chicago Values”

Posted by   + Show Post

Rahm Emanuel’s Odd Idea Of “Chicago Values”

At a press event yesterday, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel spoke out against Chick-fil-A over its President’s comments about same-sex marriage:

“Chick-fil-A’s values are not Chicago values. They’re not respectful of our residents, our neighbors and our family members. And if you’re gonna be part of the Chicago community, you should reflect Chicago values,” Emanuel said Wednesday.

“What the CEO has said as it relates to gay marriage and gay couples is not what I believe, but more importantly, it’s not what the people of Chicago believe. We just passed legislation as it relates to civil union and my goal and my hope … is that we now move on recognizing gay marriage. I do not believe that the CEO’s comments … reflects who we are as a city.”

The same day that story ran, the Chicago Sun-Times also reported that Emanuel was “welcoming” the assistance of Louis Farakhan and the Nation of Islam in combating the recent uptick in violence in the city:

Ignoring Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan’s history of anti-Semitic remarks, Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Wednesday welcomed the army of men dispatched to the streets by Farrakhan to stop the violence in Chicago neighborhoods

(…)

For the last two Mondays, black men in dress suits and bow ties fanned out across violence-plagued Chicago neighborhoods — first Auburn-Gresham, then South Shore — to form a human wall of protection against any sudden outbreak of gunfire.

The army of men, know as the Fruit of Islam, were led by Farrakhan, who ordered the show of force in response to last month’s brutal murder of seven-year-old Heaven Sutton.

Emanuel’s decision to steer clear of Farrakhan’s history of anti-Semitic remarks is a far cry from the 1994 controversy that followed former Mayor Richard M. Daley’s private meeting with Farrkakhan.

During the meeting, Daley prodded Farrakhan to work out his differences with Jewish leaders in talks arranged by the Commission on Human Relations. Daley even hinted that if those conversations did not take place, the Nation of Islam would have trouble winning the city approval needed for its planned development along the 79th Street commercial strip.

Jewish leaders refused to engage in the dialogue. They were so concerned about the mayor’s private meeting with Farrakhan they demanded an audience of their own to clear the air. Daley used that meeting to deny ever suggesting the give-and-take.

“There’s been a rather longstanding pattern where Minister Farrakhan has talked about wanting dialogue. There have even been a couple of instances where members of the Jewish community have met with him,” Michael Kotzin, director of the Jewish Community Relations Council, said at the time.

“Invariably, he’s been unchanged after that. They have felt betrayed by things he said to them. Been there. Don’t want to be there again and be put in that kind of box. All that happens is that he gains from those kinds of meetings a kind of credibility, legitimacy and stature. That’s all that would come of it.”

Farakhan’s history of anti-semitism is so well-known that it barely needs to be repeated, and it’s interesting that Emanuel is willing to ignore all of that and yet considers a private business that employees thousands of people and provides a product that people want to be so anathema that he’s willing to endorse a plainly unconstitutional effort to ban them.

So let me get this straight. Under Emanuel’s version of “Chicago values” a private company headed by a man who did nothing but express his religious beliefs is unacceptable but an anti-semitic race hustler who heads an organization that has a long history of intimidating outsiders is totally acceptable. Something doesn’t compute there, Rahm.

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
mehamil1
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:14 PM

White people are the problem. The last time Black people were organized was during the days of the Black Panther party. What happened to them? Many were killed by the police and the FBI. And no, they were not as violent as we have been led to believe. They defended themselves when they had to. All the black leaders were either assassinated or put into jail. 

By white people.

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

I understand that this is hard to see. We are conditioned from birth to see things in a certain way. A white washed way. We live in an extremely racist society. And no, it's not blatent. The KKK is blatent. It's much more subtle now. 

As what to do? What's the plan? Well, rights have never been "given" by the elite. They always have been demanded and taken. So lets see what the Nation of Islam manages to accomplish. Hopefully no one will die in the process. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

70 years of corruption done by white people (Daley Sr and Jr) is what created this problem in Chicago. Racism on the part of the City of Chicago and rampent corruption created this mess. White people created this. Not black people. Do you actually believe most black Christians agree with THIS? White people and the corrupt government of Chicago which is full of white people with an agenda to let all the black folks in this city kill each other. That has been the aim for generations. Ever since black people came here en masse in the 40s during the Great Migration.  So..from what you are saying WHITE people are the problem in Chicago?  So what's the PLAN?

AGREE.. What also worries me is how the youth is "susceptible" to these kinds of "influences" whether it be the KKK or a racist like Farrakan who professes to hate whites and the Jews.

So lets see what the Nation of Islam manages to accomplish. Hopefully no one will die in the process.

Hopefully?  Who do you think might die?  You have said repeatedly that "white" people are the problem.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

White people are part of the problem. A huge part of the problem. Being white gives me unearned privileges. When people have privilege, they don't just willingly give it up. It's also very difficult to see it. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

In my own opinion, and it's an educated opinion (and I say this not to toot my own horn but to say that I'm not pulling this out of my ass) since I have a degree in sociology, the two organizations are very different. 

As for the Jews, are they more against the government of Israel which has 60 years worth of blood on their hands of the genocide of the Palestinian people (and some of those Palestinians are Christians and Jews) or the Jewish people as a whole, as a faith? Cause I think it's the country of Israel that they have issues with, not the Jews themselves. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting GaleJ:

To compare the Nation of Islam with the KKK may have some validity in some people's minds but while the Nation of Islam may hold some hateful beliefs they do have a functional religious organization that includes a great deal more than just those particular views unlike the KKK.

One group hates white people and jews..the other hates black people and jews..what's the difference and it's a lose lose for the Jewish people. (imo)  

I'm not talking about  Israel vs. Palestine.. I'm talking about two hate groups..FOCUS.  One in particular that hates WHITES and JEWS which is policing your city.. But I get it..the WHITES are the problem.. Are the Jews also?.

This  is about Rahm Emanuel accepting the help of a racist group..that hates WHITES and JEWS..period.
mehamil1
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:17 PM

No. It's not. But I can see how you would think that's what it's all about. You don't live here. I don't know how familiar you are with the history of Chicago. You do not know all the crap that has happened here and all the politics that went into it. 

This place is corrupt. Emanuel is a politician. He will do as he's told by those who hold the purse strings. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

White people are part of the problem. A huge part of the problem. Being white gives me unearned privileges. When people have privilege, they don't just willingly give it up. It's also very difficult to see it. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

In my own opinion, and it's an educated opinion (and I say this not to toot my own horn but to say that I'm not pulling this out of my ass) since I have a degree in sociology, the two organizations are very different. 

As for the Jews, are they more against the government of Israel which has 60 years worth of blood on their hands of the genocide of the Palestinian people (and some of those Palestinians are Christians and Jews) or the Jewish people as a whole, as a faith? Cause I think it's the country of Israel that they have issues with, not the Jews themselves. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting GaleJ:

To compare the Nation of Islam with the KKK may have some validity in some people's minds but while the Nation of Islam may hold some hateful beliefs they do have a functional religious organization that includes a great deal more than just those particular views unlike the KKK.

One group hates white people and jews..the other hates black people and jews..what's the difference and it's a lose lose for the Jewish people. (imo)  

I'm not talking about  Israel vs. Palestine.. I'm talking about two hate groups..FOCUS.  One in particular that hates WHITES and JEWS which is policing your city.. But I get it..the WHITES are the problem.. Are the Jews also?.

This  is about Rahm Emanuel accepting the help of a racist group..that hates WHITES and JEWS..period.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

No. It's not. But I can see how you would think that's what it's all about. You don't live here. I don't know how familiar you are with the history of Chicago. You do not know all the crap that has happened here and all the politics that went into it. 

This place is corrupt. Emanuel is a politician. He will do as he's told by those who hold the purse strings. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting GaleJ:

I hope your fair... (yet as you say: corrupt city) is not going to regret this decision..because I'm seeing a HUGE population control up the road..in the name of the Nation of Islam..  And you never answered my questions..but oh well..  It will soon be evident..who will die..and what will be.

GaleJ
by Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I am culturally Jewish although I no longer am religiously observant and I certainly understand what you are saying. Having said that I will say that I've never seen anything positive about the KKK but have seen some limited positives here in Chicago in regard to the black community and the Nation of Islam. That doesn't justify the negatives but to be fair many religions and religious organizations have some negatives attached to and part of the whole of what they are; the scandals of the Catholic Church, the right-wing crazies of the Westburo Baptist Church, the extreme homophobic position of the Salvation Army. I have my own thoughts as to what place religion should play in the public realm but the reality is that the violence we are experiencing here in Chicago is primarily focused in the black community and to a much lesser degree the Hispanic community and those communities deserve all the support that can be provided to stem this horrific situation where children and adults, the innocent and those that may not be completely innocent are being gunned down with heart wrenching regularity in the streets of Chicago and in some cases in their own homes and no one seems to know what to do about it.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quoting GaleJ:

I am culturally Jewish although I no longer am religiously observant and I certainly understand what you are saying. Having said that I will say that I've never seen anything positive about the KKK but have seen some limited positives here in Chicago in regard to the black community and the Nation of Islam. That doesn't justify the negatives but to be fair many religions and religious organizations have some negatives attached to and part of the whole of what they are; the scandals of the Catholic Church, the right-wing crazies of the Westburo Baptist Church, the extreme homophobic position of the Salvation Army. I have my own thoughts as to what place religion should play in the public realm but the reality is that the violence we are experiencing here in Chicago is primarily focused in the black community and to a much lesser degree the Hispanic community and those communities deserve all the support that can be provided to stem this horrific situation where children and adults, the innocent and those that may not be completely innocent are being gunned down with heart wrenching regularity in the streets of Chicago and in some cases in their own homes and no one seems to know what to do about it.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

I'm sorry that your city is full of corruption..I really am..but I do not equate the black community with the nation of islam in any way shape or form.  Not all blacks hate white people and/or Jews.

mehamil1
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Those questions are hard to answer since for one, I am not in control of anything that is happening here. As for the Jews, I have no idea. Rahm is Jewish. I don't know what is reasoning is and I don't know why he's going along with this. I can only assume that he's being told to go along with it. Since he's a politician and politicians are puppets, he will do as he's told. 

I can only tell you what's going on from my perspective of living in this city for 26 years. Also the collective experience of my parents who have lived here for 60 years. Also my grandparents, all of whom were born in this city. 

Not much changes. it's as corrupt to day as it was decades ago. They just stopped being blatant about it. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting GaleJ:

I hope your fair... (yet as you say: corrupt city) is not going to regret this decision..because I'm seeing a HUGE population control up the road..in the name of the Nation of Islam..  And you never answered my questions..but oh well..  It will soon be evident..who will die..and what will be.

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

Those questions are hard to answer since for one, I am not in control of anything that is happening here. As for the Jews, I have no idea. Rahm is Jewish. I don't know what is reasoning is and I don't know why he's going along with this. I can only assume that he's being told to go along with it. Since he's a politician and politicians are puppets, he will do as he's told. 

I can only tell you what's going on from my perspective of living in this city for 26 years. Also the collective experience of my parents who have lived here for 60 years. Also my grandparents, all of whom were born in this city. 

Not much changes. it's as corrupt to day as it was decades ago. They just stopped being blatant about it. 

Odd isn't it.. Rahm's Jewish, Obama's Christian and yet they are both doing things that contradict their beliefs..

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Now that's a giant load of bullchit......................

Both "organizations" are equally evil.

I was at our local CFA last evening and it was quite busy.

If Boston and Chicago don't want them,  who cares?

On Yahoo, people are 10 to 1 in favor of CFA's stance on the issue of gay marriage.

CFA's not going anywhere.   (  :

Quoting GaleJ:

I too am a Chicagoan and as is usually the case with such issues there is more to these stories than it may seem.

Chick-fil-A, as does any business, needs zoning and licensing and while I may agree that there are legal issues the idea of a community not accepting a business is one that is constantly being debated and discussed here in Chicago and elsewhere; whether it is the nuns trying to keep the strip club from opening next to their convent or communities that do not want Walmart to open. We as a city have the right to discuss and debate this and decide in what manner we wish to deal with this. As to the idea of this company not sharing our values I think that here again we have the right to debate this. Chicago is a place that has consistently supported the LGBTQ community and while not everyone may support that our city welcomes diversity of all sorts among our citizens. Already the private, non-corporate, franchisee of the only Chick-fil-A currently open here in the city has asked to meet with Rahm to discuss this so the process of finding the right path continues and I am pleased that so many in our city are actively and thoughtfully considering this topic.

As to the Rev. Farrakhan and his followers, religious groups have traditionally pitched in to help in communities when there is a crisis and believe me we are facing a crisis of violence here in Chicago. While we may not individually support the beliefs and policies of such groups they are legitimately part of our communities, particularly the Nation of Islam here in Chicago that is headquartered on the South Side where so much of the extreme and senseless violence is happening. When your house is on fire you don't interview the guy that shows up with a hose. To compare the Nation of Islam with the KKK may have some validity in some people's minds but while the Nation of Islam may hold some hateful beliefs they do have a functional religious organization that includes a great deal more than just those particular views unlike the KKK.  

GaleJ
by Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Firstly I never mentioned corruption, that was another reply I believe. I don't see how corruption is relevant to my comments. Secondly I never "equated" the black community, in itself a very diverse community, with the Nation of Islam and did not say or imply in any way that the members of the black community hate anyone. My comment is based only on some limited actions of the Nation of Islam in the area of trying to build black entrepreneurship within the neighborhoods and their encouragement to members of the black community to seize the initiative and make their communities better and stronger through their own actions including education and financial and business means.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

I'm sorry that your city is full of corruption..I really am..but I do not equate the black community with the nation of islam in any way shape or form.  Not all blacks hate white people and/or Jews.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)