Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rahm Emanuel’s Odd Idea Of “Chicago Values”

Posted by   + Show Post

Rahm Emanuel’s Odd Idea Of “Chicago Values”

At a press event yesterday, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel spoke out against Chick-fil-A over its President’s comments about same-sex marriage:

“Chick-fil-A’s values are not Chicago values. They’re not respectful of our residents, our neighbors and our family members. And if you’re gonna be part of the Chicago community, you should reflect Chicago values,” Emanuel said Wednesday.

“What the CEO has said as it relates to gay marriage and gay couples is not what I believe, but more importantly, it’s not what the people of Chicago believe. We just passed legislation as it relates to civil union and my goal and my hope … is that we now move on recognizing gay marriage. I do not believe that the CEO’s comments … reflects who we are as a city.”

The same day that story ran, the Chicago Sun-Times also reported that Emanuel was “welcoming” the assistance of Louis Farakhan and the Nation of Islam in combating the recent uptick in violence in the city:

Ignoring Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan’s history of anti-Semitic remarks, Mayor Rahm Emanuel on Wednesday welcomed the army of men dispatched to the streets by Farrakhan to stop the violence in Chicago neighborhoods

(…)

For the last two Mondays, black men in dress suits and bow ties fanned out across violence-plagued Chicago neighborhoods — first Auburn-Gresham, then South Shore — to form a human wall of protection against any sudden outbreak of gunfire.

The army of men, know as the Fruit of Islam, were led by Farrakhan, who ordered the show of force in response to last month’s brutal murder of seven-year-old Heaven Sutton.

Emanuel’s decision to steer clear of Farrakhan’s history of anti-Semitic remarks is a far cry from the 1994 controversy that followed former Mayor Richard M. Daley’s private meeting with Farrkakhan.

During the meeting, Daley prodded Farrakhan to work out his differences with Jewish leaders in talks arranged by the Commission on Human Relations. Daley even hinted that if those conversations did not take place, the Nation of Islam would have trouble winning the city approval needed for its planned development along the 79th Street commercial strip.

Jewish leaders refused to engage in the dialogue. They were so concerned about the mayor’s private meeting with Farrakhan they demanded an audience of their own to clear the air. Daley used that meeting to deny ever suggesting the give-and-take.

“There’s been a rather longstanding pattern where Minister Farrakhan has talked about wanting dialogue. There have even been a couple of instances where members of the Jewish community have met with him,” Michael Kotzin, director of the Jewish Community Relations Council, said at the time.

“Invariably, he’s been unchanged after that. They have felt betrayed by things he said to them. Been there. Don’t want to be there again and be put in that kind of box. All that happens is that he gains from those kinds of meetings a kind of credibility, legitimacy and stature. That’s all that would come of it.”

Farakhan’s history of anti-semitism is so well-known that it barely needs to be repeated, and it’s interesting that Emanuel is willing to ignore all of that and yet considers a private business that employees thousands of people and provides a product that people want to be so anathema that he’s willing to endorse a plainly unconstitutional effort to ban them.

So let me get this straight. Under Emanuel’s version of “Chicago values” a private company headed by a man who did nothing but express his religious beliefs is unacceptable but an anti-semitic race hustler who heads an organization that has a long history of intimidating outsiders is totally acceptable. Something doesn’t compute there, Rahm.

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GaleJ:

Firstly I never mentioned corruption, that was another reply I believe. I don't see how corruption is relevant to my comments. Secondly I never "equated" the black community, in itself a very diverse community, with the Nation of Islam and did not say or imply in any way that the members of the black community hate anyone. My comment is based only on some limited actions of the Nation of Islam in the area of trying to build black entrepreneurship within the neighborhoods and their encouragement to members of the black community to seize the initiative and make their communities better and stronger through their own actions including education and financial and business means.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

I am culturally Jewish although I no longer am religiously observant and I certainly understand what you are saying. Having said that I will say that I've never seen anything positive about the KKK but have seen some limited positives here in Chicago in regard to the black community and the Nation of Islam. That doesn't justify the negatives but to be fair many religions and religious organizations have some negatives attached to and part of the whole of what they are; the scandals of the Catholic Church, the right-wing crazies of the Westburo Baptist Church, the extreme homophobic position of the Salvation Army. I have my own thoughts as to what place religion should play in the public realm but the reality is that the violence we are experiencing here in Chicago is primarily focused in the black community and to a much lesser degree the Hispanic community and those communities deserve all the support that can be provided to stem this horrific situation where children and adults, the innocent and those that may not be completely innocent are being gunned down with heart wrenching regularity in the streets of Chicago and in some cases in their own homes and no one seems to know what to do about it.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

To compare the Nation of Islam with the KKK may have some validity in some people's minds but while the Nation of Islam may hold some hateful beliefs they do have a functional religious organization that includes a great deal more than just those particular views unlike the KKK.

One group hates white people and jews..the other hates black people and jews..what's the difference and it's a lose lose for the Jewish people. (imo) 

I'm sorry that your city is full of corruption..I really am..but I do not equate the black community with the nation of islam in any way shape or form.  Not all blacks hate white people and/or Jews.

I gave my opinions of the black community and the nation of islam as you equated them together in your sentence..  I do not equate the black community or the white community (I'll add this)  with either of them..that's MY opinion.. That was the second part I underlined.

My FACT about the KKK is that they are more like the nation of islam and visa versa.. Only difference is one group hates blacks..the other hates whites and they both hate jews.

First part in red that I underlined..

If a person sent a large group of KKK in your neighborhood to help "whoever"..I think that would be like sending an "invitation" to join their group.. I feel the same way about the Nation of Islam.  On t.v. on the old shows that had kkk on it.. you heard the same spew.. "We help the neighborhoods, get kids off the street..get them educated..and teach them morals."   THEIR MORALS..THEIR BELIEFS..  They teach HATE..just as the Nation of Islam does.

imamomzilla
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

mehamil1
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM

BECAUSE THEY ARE POLITICIANS!! 

They will do as they are told!!! Please wrap your mind around the fact that these men are not autonomous. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Those questions are hard to answer since for one, I am not in control of anything that is happening here. As for the Jews, I have no idea. Rahm is Jewish. I don't know what is reasoning is and I don't know why he's going along with this. I can only assume that he's being told to go along with it. Since he's a politician and politicians are puppets, he will do as he's told. 

I can only tell you what's going on from my perspective of living in this city for 26 years. Also the collective experience of my parents who have lived here for 60 years. Also my grandparents, all of whom were born in this city. 

Not much changes. it's as corrupt to day as it was decades ago. They just stopped being blatant about it. 

Odd isn't it.. Rahm's Jewish, Obama's Christian and yet they are both doing things that contradict their beliefs..

mehamil1
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop comparing the Nation of Islam to the KKK. Really, knock it off. The Nation of Islam is not responsible for killing God only knows how many people for no real reason. They do not hold that kind of power or invoke the kind of fear that the KKK does. 

You are really making yourself look bad, not to mention racist. The two are not the same. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting GaleJ:

Firstly I never mentioned corruption, that was another reply I believe. I don't see how corruption is relevant to my comments. Secondly I never "equated" the black community, in itself a very diverse community, with the Nation of Islam and did not say or imply in any way that the members of the black community hate anyone. My comment is based only on some limited actions of the Nation of Islam in the area of trying to build black entrepreneurship within the neighborhoods and their encouragement to members of the black community to seize the initiative and make their communities better and stronger through their own actions including education and financial and business means.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

I am culturally Jewish although I no longer am religiously observant and I certainly understand what you are saying. Having said that I will say that I've never seen anything positive about the KKK but have seen some limited positives here in Chicago in regard to the black community and the Nation of Islam. That doesn't justify the negatives but to be fair many religions and religious organizations have some negatives attached to and part of the whole of what they are; the scandals of the Catholic Church, the right-wing crazies of the Westburo Baptist Church, the extreme homophobic position of the Salvation Army. I have my own thoughts as to what place religion should play in the public realm but the reality is that the violence we are experiencing here in Chicago is primarily focused in the black community and to a much lesser degree the Hispanic community and those communities deserve all the support that can be provided to stem this horrific situation where children and adults, the innocent and those that may not be completely innocent are being gunned down with heart wrenching regularity in the streets of Chicago and in some cases in their own homes and no one seems to know what to do about it.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

To compare the Nation of Islam with the KKK may have some validity in some people's minds but while the Nation of Islam may hold some hateful beliefs they do have a functional religious organization that includes a great deal more than just those particular views unlike the KKK.

One group hates white people and jews..the other hates black people and jews..what's the difference and it's a lose lose for the Jewish people. (imo) 

I'm sorry that your city is full of corruption..I really am..but I do not equate the black community with the nation of islam in any way shape or form.  Not all blacks hate white people and/or Jews.

I gave my opinions of the black community and the nation of islam as you equated them together in your sentence..  I do not equate the black community or the white community (I'll add this)  with either of them..that's MY opinion.. That was the second part I underlined.

My FACT about the KKK is that they are more like the nation of islam and visa versa.. Only difference is one group hates blacks..the other hates whites and they both hate jews.

If a person sent a large group of KKK in your neighborhood to help "whoever"..I think that would be like sending an "invitation" to join their group.. I feel the same way about the Nation of Islam.  On t.v. on the old shows that had kkk on it.. you heard the same spew.. "We help the neighborhoods, get kids off the street..get them educated..and teach them morals."   THEIR MORALS..THEIR BELIEFS..  They teach HATE..just as the Nation of Islam does.

GaleJ
by Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:28 PM

You make a very valid point and I would point out that the reception of the Nation of Islam in these neighborhoods has been somewhat skeptical certainly. I don't pretend to have the answers but I fear for my city and my fellow Chicagoans. Some have expressed the feeling that having as many eyes as possible in the neighborhoods is what's important and many groups of various ilks are helping in that. We cannot stand as though powerless in the face of this onslaught in which little girls selling candy in their yards on a summer afternoon are gunned down and now today a young man that was on the threshold of his future, soon leaving for college, was shot while trying to break up a fight in which he had no part other than as a peacemaker. To all that read this please keep us in your thoughts.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:35 PM
2 moms liked this

It must have only been Obama's white half that attracted the corrupt political machine in Chicago.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting mehamil1:

I understand that this is hard to see. We are conditioned from birth to see things in a certain way. A white washed way. We live in an extremely racist society. And no, it's not blatent. The KKK is blatent. It's much more subtle now. 

As what to do? What's the plan? Well, rights have never been "given" by the elite. They always have been demanded and taken. So lets see what the Nation of Islam manages to accomplish. Hopefully no one will die in the process. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

70 years of corruption done by white people (Daley Sr and Jr) is what created this problem in Chicago. Racism on the part of the City of Chicago and rampent corruption created this mess. White people created this. Not black people. Do you actually believe most black Christians agree with THIS? White people and the corrupt government of Chicago which is full of white people with an agenda to let all the black folks in this city kill each other. That has been the aim for generations. Ever since black people came here en masse in the 40s during the Great Migration.  So..from what you are saying WHITE people are the problem in Chicago?  So what's the PLAN?

So lets see what the Nation of Islam manages to accomplish. Hopefully no one will die in the process.

Hopefully?  Who do you think might die?  You have said repeatedly that "white" people are the problem.

imamomzilla
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

banging head into wall 

Quoting mehamil1:

They will do as they are told!!! Please wrap your mind around the fact that these men are not autonomous. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Those questions are hard to answer since for one, I am not in control of anything that is happening here. As for the Jews, I have no idea. Rahm is Jewish. I don't know what is reasoning is and I don't know why he's going along with this. I can only assume that he's being told to go along with it. Since he's a politician and politicians are puppets, he will do as he's told. 

I can only tell you what's going on from my perspective of living in this city for 26 years. Also the collective experience of my parents who have lived here for 60 years. Also my grandparents, all of whom were born in this city. 

Not much changes. it's as corrupt to day as it was decades ago. They just stopped being blatant about it. 

Odd isn't it.. Rahm's Jewish, Obama's Christian and yet they are both doing things that contradict their beliefs..

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Hate is hate no matter who is doing the hating.

Quoting mehamil1:

Stop comparing the Nation of Islam to the KKK. Really, knock it off. The Nation of Islam is not responsible for killing God only knows how many people for no real reason. They do not hold that kind of power or invoke the kind of fear that the KKK does. 

You are really making yourself look bad, not to mention racist. The two are not the same. 

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

mehamil1
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

So it doesn't matter that one hate leads to death for being born a certain race and the other leads to empowerment of a disenfranchised race that has every reason to be pissed as all hell towards white people and manages to not kill any or intimidate any? 

No, they are not the same. Not even close. 

Quoting Carpy:

Hate is hate no matter who is doing the hating.

Quoting mehamil1:

mehamil1
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Don't hurt yourself! I know I'm using big words. Just use google to look them up. Or are you boycotting it? 

Quoting imamomzilla:

banging head into wall 

Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Ednarooni160:
Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)