Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Fla. Republican: We wanted to suppress black votes

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM
  • 32 Replies

Fla. Republican: We wanted to suppress black votes

Source: Salon

In the debate over new laws meant to curb voter fraud in places like Florida, Democrats always charge that Republicans are trying to suppress the vote of liberal voting blocs like blacks and young people, while Republicans just laugh at such ludicrous and offensive accusations. That is, every Republican except for Florida’s former Republican Party chairman Jim Greer, who, scorned by his party and in deep legal trouble, blew the lid off his what he claims was a systemic effort to suppress the black vote. In a 630-page deposition recorded over two days in late May, Greer, who is on trial for corruption charges, unloaded a litany of charges against the “whack-a-do, right-wing crazies” in his party, including the effort to suppress the black vote. 

In the deposition, released to the press yesterday, Greer mentioned a December 2009 meeting with party officials. “I was upset because the political consultants and staff were talking about voter suppression and keeping blacks from voting,” he said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. He also said party officials discussed how “minority outreach programs were not fit for the Republican Party,” according to the AP.

Read more: http://www.salon.com/2012/07/27/fla_republican_we_suppressed_black_votes/ 

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM
4 moms liked this
Its never been a secret.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:42 AM

eye rolling

pampire
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:30 AM
3 moms liked this

There is a reason Bugs Bunny sawed Florida off and set it adrift.

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Every election cycle there is always news of the rampant disenfranchisement of black voters in Florida.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Its never been a secret.

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  I didn't know that Fl had a huge black population.  I thought that Fl had a large jewish and latino population. 

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM

So "Democrats" wouldn't loooooovvvvvve to supress Conservative votes?????????

The thought doesn't make them salivate???????

Hypocrites?

Citygirlk
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Well it does, i think you are thinking of northern florida south florida ( where im from) is mostly latino and black.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Wow.  I didn't know that Fl had a huge black population.  I thought that Fl had a large jewish and latino population. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I wouldnt.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Hypocrites?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

It should go without saying that in general us conservatives (esp the black conservatives!) would not want to supress blacks voting.Requiring one to show proper proof of identification before voting is not surpressing.We have to here in TN and guess what? Everyone who wants to vote and shows ID votes! We have plenty of black folks here in TN and OMG THEY VOTE! lol

bluespagan
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Liberal here, and no I wouldn't.  I believe that the democratic process is a very important one even I disagree with the other persons choices.

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Hypocrites?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN