Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Republican official carries Obama's head on a spike, Secret Service pays a visit

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM
  • 7 Replies

Republican Councilman Paul Smith, of Sterling Heights, Michigan, has found himself at the center of controversy after video of him holding a sign that depicted President Obama's head on a spike surfaced after being recorded at a Tea Party rally more than three years ago in April 2009. He also had other signs that included Nancy Pelosi with bullet holes in her head, and a noose around the neck of former Michigan Governor, Jennifer Granholm.

The sign that depicted a decapitated President Obama with blood dripping from his neck contained the statements, "Shit on a stick", and "One more day is too many!" and "He changed American into Uganda." which was scrawled out in large letters.

While that sign was repugnant, Smith's signs towards female politicians were notably harsher. Democratic Minority Leader of the House, Nancy Pelosi ,was depicted with 6 blood dripping bullet holes in her face. The ugly phrases included "Pelosi hates America. Loves bribes and wetbacks." The sign also said "Extreme Left Bitch." Indeed, because nothing says civility like holding a sign calling another person an extreme bitch. Right?

The revelation of this information came from Sterling Heights Mayor Pro Tem, Michael Taylor, who inadvertently found the damning footage while watching YouTube videos. Because of this discovery the city council voted, with Smith participating, to publicly call for the resignation of Paul Smith. The vote was tallied at 6 to 1 in favor, with Smith being the only member who didn't vote for his own resignation.

Because of the public nature of this discovery, a Secret Service investigation was triggered.

The Oakland Press locally reported on August 9, that Smith has no plans to resign. He claims, "They (the Secret Service) told me that their policy is they respond to every complaint and that’s exactly what they did. They asked me a lot of questions dating back to when I was a kid. I answered them honestly and I guess they believe I’m not a threat or some kook.”

Smith went on to say that the city council is like a "fraternity", and that "I'm not welcome to the club."

That matter is not disputed between other council members. At the latest council meeting Michael Taylor said directly to Smith that he was "completely unfit to hold public office."

Other council members have taken a similar line including Councilmen Joeseph Romano who says Smith's "usefulness as a Councilman is nil."

One matter of note is the video itself, which can be viewed on the left side of this article. Participants at the Tea Party rally chastised the video journalist for paying attention to Smith, because they claimed he was a "plant", or someone who was put there to make The Tea Party look extreme.

As it happens, Smith really was that outrageous and offensive and it seems that trend has carried to his, evidently, short career as a public official.

http://www.examiner.com/article/republican-official-carries-obama-s-head-on-a-spike-secret-service-pays-a-visit

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Eww if this is for real its disgusting as heck! I know both sides have done some nasty crap like this and both need to knock it off.That is taking things WAY too far.GROSS.

pampire
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Notice that it's always the right wing that uses violent imagery and hateful rhetoric? Hate on the left all you want but at least they try to keep it civil and somewhat factual.  Has anyone besides this guy ever thought "Hey, America is a lot like Uganda now."  Didn't think so.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm pampire excuse me? lol What world do you reside in? Try googling about all of the lefts violence at some so called protests.I could post pic after pic after pic of garbage from the left.Article after article after article of rock throwing smashing windows..fires started..all kinds of goodies coming from the left.I just think that any of that from either side is uncalled for.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:21 PM

why is anyone surprised, I am not:/ 2008 all over again. 

_Kissy_
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:28 PM

It does happen on both sides, but it seems to be predominately republican *officials* that do it more so, then they release a half ass apology. Whereas on the left it just seems to be angry citizens.

Quoting pampire:

Notice that it's always the right wing that uses violent imagery and hateful rhetoric? Hate on the left all you want but at least they try to keep it civil and somewhat factual.  Has anyone besides this guy ever thought "Hey, America is a lot like Uganda now."  Didn't think so.

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Why,   that makes Obama look like the devil      !!!!!!!!!!!!

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 7:44 PM
Some evil person does this and you think it makes Obama look like the devil?

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Why,   that makes Obama look like the devil      !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN