Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Ayn Rand on Johnny Carson show.

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just stumbled upon an article in Salon published today by David Haglund:
 Did You See This? Ayn Rand on Johnny Carson

In it is a two part video uploaded to YouTube by warpicachu of Johnny Carson interview Ayn Rand in depth on her philosophy.  It's amazing, the absolute kiss of death to the Ryan/Romney ticket.  

She explains the core concept of her teaching, the central value, which is selfishness.

See the videos below the fold, and enjoy.

PART 1

PART 2

There's so much I could pull out from these videos and quote to you from what this evil woman says... but I just don't know where to begin... every comment she makes is a new ad for the Obama campaign.

Remember, Paul Ryan made Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged required reading for all his staff and interns!  What will the "values voters" say if they know just exactly what his philosophy espouses.

by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

*eye roll*

Let the woman RIP

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I certainly wish people would...especially the GOP. Ugh.

Quoting imamomzilla:

*eye roll*

Let the woman RIP

Nice Widdle Puppy

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Like you let Sanger?

Paul Ryan made his staff read her books

Wasnt she a communist? And an atheist?

Lol

Quoting imamomzilla:

*eye roll*

Let the woman RIP

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

She was anti Communist.....very much against the "collective".

How silly and foolish you must feel.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Like you let Sanger?

Lol

Quoting imamomzilla:

*eye roll*

Let the woman RIP

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so". ~Ronald Reagan

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Not really

As I was asking

Hence the question mark

Thanks For your charitable post

Quoting imamomzilla:

She was anti Communist.....very much against the "collective".

How silly and foolish you must feel.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Like you let Sanger?

Lol

Quoting imamomzilla:

*eye roll*

Let the woman RIP

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Right! They are constantly harping on her

Ho hum..Atlas shrugged.

Quoting NWP:

I certainly wish people would...especially the GOP. Ugh.

Quoting imamomzilla:

*eye roll*

Let the woman RIP

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momalways1954
by Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!  Thank you for that interesting slice of time.  Ya know, in this interview she seemed quite rational and I actually agreed with much of her ideas.  

She just scratched the surface re: her distaste of 'altruism', which is the big problem I have with her.  The idea of "I've got mine - screw you".  But that is exactly how the GOP rolls these days. That, and the fact they've never seen a war they haven't loved and profited from. 

imamomzilla
by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

“I, like millions of young people in America, read Rand’s novels when I was young. I enjoyed them,” Ryan says. “They spurred an interest in economics, in the Chicago School and Milton Friedman,” a subject he eventually studied as an undergraduate at Miami University in Ohio. “But it’s a big stretch to suggest that a person is therefore an Objectivist.”

“I reject her philosophy,” Ryan says firmly. “It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas,” who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. “Don’t give me Ayn Rand,” he says.

(NationalReview)

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM

She sure was a piece of work wasn't she?

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM

He also made his staff read her books

What made her books controversial is not violence or sex, though both "Fountainhead" and "Atlas" have their share of bodice-ripping, but an extremist vision of America that celebrated greed and selfishness, rejected altruism as "evil" and opposed the fundamental tenets of Judeo-Christian morality. (She was also a militant atheist who favored abortion.)

Paul Ryan says that he read her books as a youth but was not influenced by her. In April, he gave an interview to National Review in which he repudiated Rand entirely. In the interview, he called reports of his adherence to Rand's views an "urban legend" and said that he was more deeply influenced by his Roman Catholic faith and by Thomas Aquinas.

But that's not the way he was talking in 2005, when he gave a speech to the Atlas Society, a group dedicated to promoting Rand's beliefs.

In that speech, Ryan said, "I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are and what my beliefs are. It's inspired me so much that it's required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff."

He went on to say that "the reason I got involved in public service, by and large, if I had to credit one thinker, one person, it would be Ayn Rand. And the fight we are in here, make no mistake about it, is a fight of individualism versus collectivism."

Avlon: Paul Ryan will shift the campaign dynamic

Ryan very succinctly summed up the Randian worldview in those remarks. Rand painted the world in stark terms, as a struggle between the individual and the collective.

Quoting imamomzilla:

“I, like millions of young people in America, read Rand’s novels when I was young. I enjoyed them,” Ryan says. “They spurred an interest in economics, in the Chicago School and Milton Friedman,” a subject he eventually studied as an undergraduate at Miami University in Ohio. “But it’s a big stretch to suggest that a person is therefore an Objectivist.”

“I reject her philosophy,” Ryan says firmly. “It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas,” who believed that man needs divine help in the pursuit of knowledge. “Don’t give me Ayn Rand,” he says.

(NationalReview)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)