Now that Rep. Paul Ryan has been tapped as Mitt Romney’s running mate, here are some little-known facts about the former frat bro and fly fisher:
1. Hates his nickname. Ryan’s middle name is Davis, so growing up, he was dubbed “P.D.” but it was pronounced“Petey.” Ryan couldn’t stand it
2. Rocks out to Beethoven. He’s been known to plug in his iPod headphones to ignore reporters on the Hill. Favorites include Beethoven and Led Zeppelin.
3. Works out like a warrior. He’s been known to lead P90X sessions with Hill staffers and lawmakers. “It’s a fantastic workout,” Ryan says. “Bart Stupak and I lead it every morning. There’s about a dozen of us who do it.”
4. Drives like a trucker. Ryan turned his truck into an office on wheels when he was elected to Congress so he could meet with constituents in rural communities.
5. Takes the bait. His favorite hobby is fly-fishing. He does so with his kids and even asked his wife Janna to marry him on a fishing trip in St. Germain Lake in northern Wisconsin in 2000.
6. Former Frat Bro. While studying at Miami University, Ryan was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity.
7. Good with words. Before he was elected to Congress, served as a speechwriter for Jack Kemp’s and William Bennet’s “Empower America” organization, a conservative nonprofit.
8. Hard time as a teen. At 16 years old, Ryan, who shares a name with his father, found his father’s body after his dad Paul died.
9. Already collected Social Security. After Ryan’s father passed away, he saved Social Security survivor’s benefits to pay for attending Miami University, where Ryan double majored in economics and political science in 1992.
10. Dutiful dad. Ryan is a father of three, including two sons named Charles and Samuel and one daughter, Elizabeth.