Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Spoof news - a good or a bad thing?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM
  • 47 Replies

Do you think the spoof news sites like the Onion, that make up parodies of politicians' positions, which then get circulated as 'fact' by credulous second-hand readers, is a good thing, or a bad thing?

Example:

Claim:   Ann Romney said men "deserve to be paid at a higher rate" than women.

FALSE

Example:   [Collected via e-mail, April 2012]

Did Ann Romney really say this:

"Why should women be paid equal to men? Men have been in the working world a lot longer and deserve to be paid at a higher rate. Heck, I'm a working mom and I've not paid a dime. I depend on my husband to provide for me and my family, as should most women ... and if a woman does work, she should be happy just to be out there in the working world and quit complaining that she's not making as much as her male counterparts. I mean really, all this wanting to be equal nonsense is going to be detrimental to the future of women everywhere. Who's going to want to hire a woman, or for that matter, even marry a woman who thinks she is the same, if not better than a man at any job. It's almost laughable. C'mon now ladies, are you with me on this?"

The article I read says this was a direct quote from a "Moms for Mitt" meeting in Philadelphia on April 17th.

Origins:   The quote cited in the Example block at the head of this page about 2012 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's wife addressing a crowd in Philadelphia and opining that men "deserve to be paid at a higher rate" than women is not something that was actually stated by Ann Romney. It's an unattributed excerpt from a spoof article published on 18 April 2012 by the satirical web site Free Wood Post, whose disclaimer notes that:

Free Wood Post is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within FreeWoodPost.com are fiction, and presumably fake news.

by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM
3 moms liked this

Considering how many (especially the young and gullible as is seen so often on here) believe this type of stuff, I would say it's a bad thing.

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Carpy:

Considering how many (especially the young and gullible as is seen so often on here) believe this type of stuff, I would say it's a bad thing.

I'm not sure age is a strong correlation.   I think it is more closely tied to extremism.

Whether that's people believing that President Obama is a Muslim who wasn't born in Hawaii, or people believing Ann Romney said the above quote, someone who is on the far left or far right is more likely to find it plausible, find it harder to distinguish fiction from reality, than someone who is closer to the centre.

It is about demonisation.

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Exactly. I think a lot of young people are smart enough, if they've learned anything as children to determine reality from fiction. It's our job as parents to do that. If your kids can't distinguish the difference, you've failed.

I get tired of the older members of this group railing on the next generation. It's indicative of a sense of fatalism a la Eeyore. Children and young people are bright, enthusiastic and have a great outlook on the future (most of the time and, again, if you've raised them well). They don't have to accept the status quo to have this outlook. Getting fired up and motivated to make a change is exciting to young people.

The demonization of Occupy Wall Street, for example, has come out of a lot of mis-information that was disseminated by extreme groups. Many of the crimes that were committed at encampments were not done by OWS supporters, but by people who were there for other reasons. But now we have a real hatred for "Occupiers" that's evident in the political discourse that was, by and large, manufactured by the media whose existence is threatened by the OWS message (our "free press" is bought and paid for by multinational corporations).

The creators of OWS and the people who participate know exactly what they're doing and why. And those who watch it on TV or read about it on Michele Malkin's blog, etc hate them because that's what they told to do.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Carpy:

I'm not sure age is a strong correlation.   I think it is more closely tied to extremism.

Whether that's people believing that President Obama is a Muslim who wasn't born in Hawaii, or people believing Ann Romney said the above quote, someone who is on the far left or far right is more likely to find it plausible, find it harder to distinguish fiction from reality, than someone who is closer to the centre.

Citygirlk
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM
My 16 year old brother just thinks its funny he knows its not true and just for laughs. My generation and the one behind me are not stupid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Xlandria
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I did not see any problem with the original Occupiers or what they were protesting at all. I'm all for peaceful protests as it's a good way to show disapproval of what is going on. It is, as you state, the extremist radicals that cause the problems, the criminal activity, etc. and I'd guess that the majority of those don't even care about why people are gathering, they just see it as their chance to riot, steal and vandalize and that, unfortunately is what people notice the most. Also, what we do read & hear about are those who make one wonder how they manage to dress themselves every morning. And the fact is, these two groups of people make up just a small portion of our population but they do it the loudest and dumbest. Like the one of big questions asks, "Why do the people who know the least, know it the loudest?"

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Exactly. I think a lot of young people are smart enough, if they've learned anything as children to determine reality from fiction. It's our job as parents to do that. If your kids can't distinguish the difference, you've failed.

I get tired of the older members of this group railing on the next generation. It's indicative of a sense of fatalism a la Eeyore. Children and young people are bright, enthusiastic and have a great outlook on the future (most of the time and, again, if you've raised them well). They don't have to accept the status quo to have this outlook. Getting fired up and motivated to make a change is exciting to young people.

The demonization of Occupy Wall Street, for example, has come out of a lot of mis-information that was disseminated by extreme groups. Many of the crimes that were committed at encampments were not done by OWS supporters, but by people who were there for other reasons. But now we have a real hatred for "Occupiers" that's evident in the political discourse that was, by and large, manufactured by the media whose existence is threatened by the OWS message (our "free press" is bought and paid for by multinational corporations).

The creators of OWS and the people who participate know exactly what they're doing and why. And those who watch it on TV or read about it on Michele Malkin's blog, etc hate them because that's what they told to do.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Carpy:

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Who are the two groups you're talking about?

The troublemakers in NYC were not OWS protesters, but dirtbags who took advantage of an encampment area that had very little, if any, police presence were used to derail an entire movement that had enormous validity. Those dirtbags are not radicals, they are criminals. Criminals who took advantage of time and place. Ironically similar to those OWS were protesting against.

Quoting Xlandria:

I did not see any problem with the original Occupiers or what they were protesting at all. I'm all for peaceful protests as it's a good way to show disapproval of what is going on. It is, as you state, the extremist radicals that cause the problems, the criminal activity, etc. and I'd guess that the majority of those don't even care about why people are gathering, they just see it as their chance to riot, steal and vandalize and that, unfortunately is what people notice the most. Also, what we do read & hear about are those who make one wonder how they manage to dress themselves every morning. And the fact is, these two groups of people make up just a small portion of our population but they do it the loudest and dumbest. Like the one of big questions asks, "Why do the people who know the least, know it the loudest?"

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Carpy:

-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM
7 moms liked this

Parody on politics is nothing new. It started with political cartoons. It's a sad state of affairs when people can't see the difference between satire and fact, but that isn't the fault of the satirist.

29again
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Carpy:

Carpy says it so well!

GardenerArtist
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I think The Onion stuff is hilarious!  My ODS put me onto it many years ago.... always entertaining, outrageously silly stuff.

I'm sure there are some that believe everything. The ones that love Sarah Palin might be in that group

Citygirlk
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 1:47 AM
3 moms liked this
This thread should be about real news an how they tend to lie *coughs fox news* and how THATS bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN