Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Federal Reserve leaning toward more stimulus

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/federal-leaning-toward-more-stimulus-180827376.html

Policy makers at the US Federal Reserve are leaning toward more stimulus action "fairly soon" unless economic data turns around, minutes from their meeting three weeks ago showed Wednesday.

The minutes revealed most members of the Federal Open Market Committee were concerned about slowing growth and the vulnerability of the economy to external threats, particularly economic instability in Europe.

"Many members judged that additional monetary accommodation would likely be warranted fairly soon unless incoming information pointed to a substantial and sustainable strengthening in the pace of the economic recovery," the record of the July 31-August 1 FOMC meeting said.

"A number of members noted that if the recent modest rate of economic growth were to persist, the economy would be less able to weather a material adverse shock without slipping back into recession," it added.

Fed members discussed the merits of different approaches to sparking more drive in the economy, from signalling that they would keep their benchmark interest rate at the current all-time low longer than currently understood, to undertaking more bond purchases aimed at pulling long-term interest rates down further.

Some said that a new Fed program to purchase Treasury and other bonds, pressing down their yields, "might boost business and consumer confidence", while demonstrating that the committee remains focused on lowering unemployment while keeping inflation under control.

In the end, the FOMC put off any new action, but the minutes show the policy makers closer to moving on a new stimulus plan at their next meeting on September 12-13.

Since the beginning of August, indicators of the health of the US economy -- manufacturing production, consumer spending, home prices, and others -- have remained mixed, with economists keeping their estimates of the current pace of economic growth at around 1.9-2.0 percent.

At that pace, the FOMC members were also worried about the economy's ability to withstand shocks.

"Many participants judged that a high level of uncertainty about possible spillovers from the fiscal and banking strains in the euro area" was holding up business and household spending, the minutes said.

"And they saw the possibilities of an intensification of strains in the euro area and of a sharper-than-anticipated US fiscal consolidation as significant downside risks to the economic outlook."

Although the Fed officials mostly agreed that the US financial and business sector had grown more resilient since the 2008-2009 crisis, "some were concerned that at its current pace, the recovery was still vulnerable to adverse shocks."

Economist Michael Gregory at BMO Capital Markets said that, based on the wording of the minutes -- especially the lack of a near-unanimous view of the situation -- he doubted the Fed was ready to launch a new bond-buying program.

Instead, the next move would more likely be an adjustment in their communications of their bearish economic view and their policy aims and intentions in September, as a way of pressing interest rates lower.

Even so, he said, "September's likely easing action is unlikely to be the Fed's last."

The dollar fell against the euro while US interest rates fell sharply after the release of the FOMC minutes. At 1900 GMT the euro was at $1.2530, up from $1.2443 earlier in the day. The yield on the 30-year US Treasury bond dropped 0.8 percentage point to 2.83 percent.

US stocks meanwhile got a boost from the announcement after trading in negative territory for most of the day. The S&P 500 was up about 0.2 percent.

by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Replies (11-19):
Friday
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Bush and a democratic controlled house, and even a bipartisan comgress tried a stimulus. Didnt work then. Isn't working now. Obama has vilified businesses and left too many question marks in the future of his policies to encourage a climate of economic growth. Another stimulus would be detrimental.

When was the Bush stimulus? Seems it was earlier in his terms. He had a Republican Congress and House for the first 6 of his 8 years in office. I remember getting a couple of checks and Republicans insisted it and his tax cuts saved the economy.

Church of The Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be her holy hooves)

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Perhaps it's just an Army problem? I know the Navy & Marines are currently overmanned. They as pushing people out because their "build up" worked a little too well. LOL!

I'm not for sure what the Army is at though... I'd be interested in that article of you find it :-)

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

There is a study that shows many military leaders have been unable to comply with a new uniform standard to deployments because of manning shortages ( due to budget constraints). I will try and find that study and post it. However, I think it was in an actual publication. Will have to see if they have an online site.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof31995
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

banging head into wallGod are they trying to stimulate the whole country into the poorhouse?

29again
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Quoting Friday:

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Bush and a democratic controlled house, and even a bipartisan comgress tried a stimulus. Didnt work then. Isn't working now. Obama has vilified businesses and left too many question marks in the future of his policies to encourage a climate of economic growth. Another stimulus would be detrimental.

When was the Bush stimulus? Seems it was earlier in his terms. He had a Republican Congress and House for the first 6 of his 8 years in office. I remember getting a couple of checks and Republicans insisted it and his tax cuts saved the economy.

It was in his second term.  Maybe in 07?

jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Ok, there is no link. It is a research thesis from AFIT. Hardcopy. Dated May 2011 that was recently published in one of my logistics mgt publications. It discussed the problems of logistics, personell, and the psychological impact on well being. Citing the Air Force, Army, and Navy. Discussing the Reductions in force from 2009-2011(early).
jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Quoting Friday:

Bush did 2 stimulus pkgs. 2002 and 2007 (implemented 2008, I believe)
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Ok I gotcha. :-)

Thanks for responding.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Ok, there is no link. It is a research thesis from AFIT. Hardcopy. Dated May 2011 that was recently published in one of my logistics mgt publications. It discussed the problems of logistics, personell, and the psychological impact on well being. Citing the Air Force, Army, and Navy. Discussing the Reductions in force from 2009-2011(early).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Uh huh. Because it worked so well the first time?  Oh wait... that cost us billions of dollars with little to no results.  No bailouts.

godotherightthi
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I always wonder where they pull this "stimulus" money from if we are Broke as a country...

You don't know?  Or are you saying we aren't really broke because we are still spending?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)