Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama and his "Truth Team" Support rapists of children under 13 years old.

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 29 Replies

Scott Surovell seems to have a rather blasé attitude about child rapists. Scott Surovell was one of only a handful of Virginia legislators to vote against a bill to stiffen penalties against adults (over age 18) who commit sex crimes against children under age 13. And Scott Surovell, a Democrat from Fairfax County, is an official member of Barack Obama’s “Virginia Truth Team,” a group of Virginians who are tasked with representing Obama in the media as campaign surrogates.

In fact, Surovell the surrogate is one of six Obama Truth Team members who voted against HB 973, which “imposes a mandatory minimum life sentence for rape, forcible sodomy, or object sexual penetration of a child under the age of 13 when it is alleged in the indictment that the offender was 18 years of age or older at the time of the offense.” This is the same Obama campaign that has spent all week somehow trying, dishonestly, to link opponent Mitt Romney with a stupid rape-related statement by U.S. Rep. Todd Akin. The others are Delegate Jennifer McClellan and State Senators Mamie Locke, John Edwards, Louise Lucas and Adam Ebbin.

Their position was so extreme that it didn’t even come close to a majority within their own party, much less within the whole state legislature. The bill passed 83-12 in the House and 31-8 in the Senate.

This was hardly a bill meant just for show, to solve a non-existent problem. In 2010 and 2011 combined, only 10 out of 228 child rapists convicted in the state of Virginia were given life sentences. The median sentence for these heinous criminals was only 13 years — even though this is a type of crime for which recidivism rates are high. Worse, amazingly and sickeningly, six of those convicted served no post-trial prison time at all.

One wonders how anybody could possibly condone anything less than a life sentence for such inexcusable crimes. And one wonders if Obama can defend having such morally blinkered legislators serve as official members of his campaign team.

Then again, maybe this whole game of “gotcha” isn’t fair. Maybe it’s not fair to tag Obama with the idiocy of his surrogates. If not, then it’s even less fair to tag the Romney campaign with some sort of guilt by association with a Senate candidate they have nothing to do with and whose idiotic statement was quickly denounced by both Romney and running mate Paul Ryan.

It could be that all of this is an unfair distraction from issues directly related to the candidates themselves, such as the horrid state of the economy after nearly four years of Obama’s policies. Or the explosion of national debt. Or the rampant misuse of executive orders to grant amnesty and destroy welfare work requirements.

But if campaign associates are fair game — and if liberal columnists across the country are going to used pretzeled logic to breathlessly tie Romney and the whole Republican Party to Todd Akin — then Obama really must answer for Surovell the surrogate and his cohorts McClellan, Locke, Lucas, Edwards and Ebbin. Compared to them, Messrs. Solitary, Poor, Nasty, Brutish and Short were models of beneficent wisdom.

Quin Hillyer is a senior fellow for the Center for Individual Freedom and a senior editor for The American Spectator.

by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

DO OBAMA AND BIDEN SUPPORT CHILD RAPE?

Let's play the game by the same rules as Barack Obama and his mainstream media supporters. Virginia Democrats, including some of President Obama's close supporters and surrogates, justopposed a new law that imposes automatic life sentences on criminals who rape children under the age of 13. Democrats accounted for all of the votes against the law. Neither the White House nor the Obama campaign has disagreed with the stance of his Virginia supporters. Obama himself has a history of opposing tough sentencing laws. Therefore, according to the same logic the media applies to Obama's opponents, his silence equals support for child rape.

The Obama campaign is trying to tarnish Mitt Romney, and especially his popular running mate Paul Ryan, by association with Todd Akin's (retracted) view that a woman cannot become pregnant through "legitimate" rape. The argument goes like this: Ryan and Akin both opposed federal funding for abortion. Ryan and Akin both signed on to an anti-abortion bill that, in its initial draft, allowed for an exemption for "forcible" rapes. 

Never mind that the exception merely codified existing interpretation of the Hyde amendment, which bans federal funding for abortion. Never mind that Ryan supported removing the "forcible" language. Never mind that Democrats also backed the bill, including Indiana candidate for U.S. Senate Joe Donnelly. Never mind that the federal crime of rape has been redefined often--including, most recently, by the Obama administration, which expanded the definition of rape to include oral sex, anal sex, and male victims. 

No--Ryan wants to redefine rape to add to the suffering of female victims, because he and Mitt Romney hate women. Just ask Sandra Fluke.

So let's apply that style of reasoning to Obama and his rather touchy-feely running mate, Joe Biden. Virginia Republicans wanted to deter and punish child rape. Virginia Democrats said no, and neither Obama nor Biden has distanced themselves from that view. There's nothing in the Democratic Party platform about protecting children from rape, either. So there you have it--Obama and Biden support child rapists. Or something.

Can we get back to reality, and real issues, now? 

Not if we must rely on the mainstream media, evidently.

LucyMom08
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I've never blamed Romney for Akin's comments, those were Akin's own words, not anyone else's. I do, however, know there is a direct connection between Ryan and Akin over their sponsored bills. Like trying to redefine rape.

I'm going now to look at the full text of hb 973.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM
With wording.like this I can see why people would vote against it

C. Upon a finding of guilt under this section, when a spouse is the complaining witness in any case tried by the court without a jury, the court, without entering a judgment of guilt, upon motion of the defendant who has not previously had a proceeding against him for violation of this section dismissed pursuant to this subsection and with the consent of the complaining witness and the attorney for the Commonwealth, may defer further proceedings and place the defendant on probation pending completion of counseling or therapy, if not already provided, in the manner prescribed under § 19.2-218.1. If the defendant fails to so complete such counseling or therapy, the court may make final disposition of the case and proceed as otherwise provided. If such counseling is completed as prescribed under § 19.2-218.1, the court may discharge the defendant and dismiss the proceedings against him if, after consideration of the views of the complaining witness and such other evidence as may be relevant, the court finds such action will promote maintenance of the family unit and be in the best interest of the complaining witness.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+ful+HB973ER
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM

LOL, I find it interesting that some of you ladies are suddenly interested in facts and truth finding. Very nice. You may want to try applying that skill more often and evenly.

:)

Quoting _Kissy_:

With wording.like this I can see why people would vote against it

C. Upon a finding of guilt under this section, when a spouse is the complaining witness in any case tried by the court without a jury, the court, without entering a judgment of guilt, upon motion of the defendant who has not previously had a proceeding against him for violation of this section dismissed pursuant to this subsection and with the consent of the complaining witness and the attorney for the Commonwealth, may defer further proceedings and place the defendant on probation pending completion of counseling or therapy, if not already provided, in the manner prescribed under § 19.2-218.1. If the defendant fails to so complete such counseling or therapy, the court may make final disposition of the case and proceed as otherwise provided. If such counseling is completed as prescribed under § 19.2-218.1, the court may discharge the defendant and dismiss the proceedings against him if, after consideration of the views of the complaining witness and such other evidence as may be relevant, the court finds such action will promote maintenance of the family unit and be in the best interest of the complaining witness.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?121+ful+HB973ER

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Obama and Biden don't support child rape, but they'll just agree that it's ok be seen campaigning with someone who jokes about rape.

Earlier this week, Senator Al Franken of Minnesota joined Vice President Joe Biden for a campaign event in Minnesota.

"But before Franken was a senator he was a writer on the TV show Saturday Night Live. Then, he famously joked about raping CBS reporter Lesley Stahl.

As New York magazine reported in 1995, from a writing session that the reporter sat in on:

Franken: “And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.’ Or, ‘That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘When she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’”

_Kissy_
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I always do.

But did you not read the actual text of the bill. Or just someones synopsis of it .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM
When he was on SNL. McCain joked also. As Senator.

Quoting rocketracer:

Obama and Biden don't support child rape, but they'll just agree that it's ok be seen campaigning with someone who jokes about rape.

Earlier this week, Senator Al Franken of Minnesota joined Vice President Joe Biden for a campaign event in Minnesota.

"But before Franken was a senator he was a writer on the TV show Saturday Night Live. Then, he famously joked about raping CBS reporter Lesley Stahl.

As New York magazine reported in 1995, from a writing session that the reporter sat in on:

Franken: “And, ‘I give the pills to Lesley Stahl. Then, when Lesley’s passed out, I take her to the closet and rape her.’ Or, ‘That’s why you never see Lesley until February.’ Or, ‘When she passes out, I put her in various positions and take pictures of her.’”

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rocketracer
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

So, the same moral outrage should apply.  Jokes about rape aren't funny, regardless of who says it.  You assumed I laughed when McCain said his joke. 

Quoting _Kissy_:

Quoting rocketracer:

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

So it's okay for people you like to make a joke out of rape.

Gotcha!

Quoting _Kissy_:

Quoting rocketracer:

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:53 PM

More proof that Obama supports Dems having sex with teens. Where is his outrage? Why doesn't he speak out about this?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115890/forums/read/17163321/Minn_Democrat_drops_out_over_sex_with_teen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN