Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Romney: Tithing makes me reluctant to reveal taxes - New non existent reason to not release his taxes

Posted by   + Show Post

Romney: Tithing makes me reluctant to reveal taxes

• Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney speaks during a campaign event at Watson Truck and Supply, Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012, in Hobbs, N.M. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

Associated Press/Evan Vucci - Republican presidential candidate, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney speaks during a campaign event at Watson Truck and Supply, Thursday, Aug. 23, 2012, in Hobbs, N.M. (AP ...more Photo/Evan Vucci)  less  

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said in an interview to be published Sunday that one reason he's reluctant to release his tax returns is that they reveal how much money he and his wife have given to the Mormon church.

In an interview with Parade Magazine, Romney said his church "doesn't publish how much people have given."

"This is done entirely privately," Romney told Parade. "One of the downsides of releasing one's financial information is that this is now all public, but we had never intended to our contributions to be known."

Romney said his contributions to his church are "a very personal thing between ourselves and our commitment to our God and to our church."

Democrats have hammered Romney for refusing to release any tax returns beyond his release of his 2010 return and a summary of last year's tax information. He has said he plans to release his full 2011 return before the Nov. 6 election. 

Romney hasn't previously mentioned his reluctance to reveal charitable donations as a rationale for keeping his taxes private.

Ann Romney, who joined her husband for the interview, said she loved tithing and that it makes her emotional.

"When Mitt and I give that check," she said, "I actually cry."

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah because the hypocritical left/media could give 2 cents about Obama's past but oh my gosh...they jump on a ridiculous band wagon to steer the conversation away from Obama's failure at a president. 

Quoting shimamab:

Guess he should've thought about the implications of releasing them before running for office or saying he would release them. By all means, keep your secrets, Mitt. You're only hurting yourself.

Citygirlk
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM
She never used the word forced. She said the same thing you just said.

Quoting billsfan1104:

That is not true. It is recommended that they tithe 10%, but they are not forced too. They can do less or do more. If they do less, they are suppose to make it up in other ways, like volunteering for the church and so forth.

Quoting paknari:

If all Mormons are supposed to tithe 10% then he is really just hiding how much he earned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dl42272
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM

It is a witch hunt. And it hasn't even begun yet.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I can see where he is coming from...

Tithing is extremely intimate and personal for Mormons...

Maybe he could release the total he "gives" to all charities so they won't know exactly what goes where?

I don't know how to appease people...

It feels like a witch hunt this election

AnneHicks
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:10 PM
bump

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Your first question is a joke.  Are you serious? 

Quoting Momniscient:

So where did you get your information that President Obama's church was racist?

If you don't like the magical underwear reference then maybe you should embrace the expose' of Mormonism.

I didn't say you accused be of being an evil liberal. I AM a liberal. I love Jon Stewart and most libs know how to use their brain. So that's why I completely disagree with you. But perhaps Fox news is telling you that the libs are going to smear the Mormons. Or is it Glenn Beck claiming that?

Quoting billsfan1104:

I have never accussed you of being an evil liberal. But at least you learn about his religion, unlike certain liberals who get their news source from Jon Stewart and start talking about magical underwear as if it is a true belief.

Quoting Momniscient:

Oh. I read your whole statement. I am just seeing where you are coming from.

Shrugs. You're barking up the wrong tree with me. I am one o' them ebil progressive libruls who has listened to all that unfair leftist stuff and still defends the Mormon church.

Quoting billsfan1104:

I said I would check the one out on abc. I never said that it would be OK if only FOXNEWS did a story on Mormonism. CNN and MSNBC is not fair and very left leaning, just like Fox is right leaning. So that is why I am hesitant on believing that cNN and MSNBC would be fair.

I guess you just read bits and parts of my statement.

Quoting Momniscient:

Really. A man's religion is no-ones business.

And yet... you call President Obama's church racist.

So I'm guessing it's the CNN and MSNBC part you take issue with seeing as how it isn't Fox...

Now I understand your POV.

And I think you see what you want. Shrugs. Romney's religion is no more off limits than Kennedy's or Obama's or Ryans. And no... they didn't 'all but drop it.'

You're one of those selective information peeps I guess.

Quoting billsfan1104:

I am talking about the one on CNN and MSNBC. I havent seen the one on ABC and I will check it out. I understand that if you are running for president, that certain things need to be out there, but a man's religion(unless it is a murderous cult) is noones business. Isnt that what was said bout Obamas racist church? That his church has nothing to do with Obama and too leave his church alone and the media(except Fox and Republican talk show hosts) all but dropped it.

Della529
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of people have read up on the Morman church and formed their own opinions, especially when it comes to Joseph Smith who is quite similar in his "prophecies" or "dispensations" like John Nelson Darby.

Quoting billsfan1104:

I dont listen to Beck, nor do I watch FOX. Way to assume. I read up on his church and went to the churchs website and formed my own opinion.

Quoting Momniscient:

If you don't like the magical underwear reference then maybe you should embrace the expose' of Mormonism.

I didn't say you accused be of being an evil liberal. I AM a liberal. I love Jon Stewart and most libs know how to use their brain. So that's why I completely disagree with you. But perhaps Fox news is telling you that the libs are going to smear the Mormons. Or is it Glenn Beck claiming that?

Quoting billsfan1104:

I have never accussed you of being an evil liberal. But at least you learn about his religion, unlike certain liberals who get their news source from Jon Stewart and start talking about magical underwear as if it is a true belief.

Quoting Momniscient:

Oh. I read your whole statement. I am just seeing where you are coming from.

Shrugs. You're barking up the wrong tree with me. I am one o' them ebil progressive libruls who has listened to all that unfair leftist stuff and still defends the Mormon church.

Quoting billsfan1104:

I said I would check the one out on abc. I never said that it would be OK if only FOXNEWS did a story on Mormonism. CNN and MSNBC is not fair and very left leaning, just like Fox is right leaning. So that is why I am hesitant on believing that cNN and MSNBC would be fair.

I guess you just read bits and parts of my statement.

Quoting Momniscient:

Really. A man's religion is no-ones business.

And yet... you call President Obama's church racist.

So I'm guessing it's the CNN and MSNBC part you take issue with seeing as how it isn't Fox...

Now I understand your POV.

And I think you see what you want. Shrugs. Romney's religion is no more off limits than Kennedy's or Obama's or Ryans. And no... they didn't 'all but drop it.'

You're one of those selective information peeps I guess.

Quoting billsfan1104:

I am talking about the one on CNN and MSNBC. I havent seen the one on ABC and I will check it out. I understand that if you are running for president, that certain things need to be out there, but a man's religion(unless it is a murderous cult) is noones business. Isnt that what was said bout Obamas racist church? That his church has nothing to do with Obama and too leave his church alone and the media(except Fox and Republican talk show hosts) all but dropped it.

Momniscient
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. That's your sn.

Of course you believe. You're a good widdle soldja.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting Momniscient:

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:13 PM

U make no sense. 

Quoting Momniscient:

Nope. That's your sn.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting Momniscient:

dl42272
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Not necessarily. It is possible that he gave more than 10%. But, it is a crime to be successful according to the left, right?!

Quoting paknari:

If all Mormons are supposed to tithe 10% then he is really just hiding how much he earned.

Momniscient
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Bwaaaahahahaaaaahaa.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me. U can't seem to think UR way outta that paper bag U seem to reside in.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

U make no sense. 

Quoting Momniscient:

Nope. That's your sn.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting Momniscient:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN