Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Republican senator says he doesn't 'give a rat's a**' what black people think

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

Republican senator says he doesn't 'give a rat's ass' what black people think

Republican Jim Summerville, a first term state senator from Dickson, Tennessee, has joined the chorus line of tone deaf conservatives. It was found that in an official email the senator said he did not care what black people thought, specifically their representatives in the black caucus.

The comments were made by Summerville who was, at the time, heading an investigation by the senate into a possible scandal at Tennessee State University (TSU) allegedly involving students grades being fixed. TSU is a world renowned black university. Therefore it was perfectly reasonable for members of the black caucus to contact Summerville with questions about his investigation.

What was unreasonable, however, was Summerville's conduct in an official setting. It has been locally reported by tennessean.com that Summerville specifically wrote, "I don't give a rat's ass what the black caucus thinks." This message was sent using the subject line of, "Please share this response with your colleagues"

Now many members of the black caucus, and other members -- both republican and democrat -- are calling for Summerville to apologize or resign his post as a public official.

Summerville has been removed as the chairman of the higher education subcommittee, as part of immediate consequences for his behavior. He may be penalized further with censure.

It should be noted that Summerville is an educator and an author. According to his Linkedin profile, he ironically has published a book titled: "Educating Black Doctors."

Ultimately the security of the senator's job rests with the voters of Tennessee.

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Grade fixing?????????????????

_Kissy_
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Grade fixing and sex scandals are covered up in predominantly white schools

Their true colors are showing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 6:15 PM
It should be noted that Summerville is an educator and an author. According to his Linkedin profile, he ironically has published a book titled: "Educating Black Doctors."

Yes...that's what they need..a white racist savior
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:19 PM

I can't believe this sh** still goes on in the 21st century!When are these a**holes going to get with the updated program?I think they are still fighting the civil war.

billsfan1104
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:33 PM
I would like to see proof that he said that or sent that email out. Not from a biased source either. And is that Linkidin profile something that he put up? Did he actually write a book titled that? If he did, did anyone here read the book or read what it was about?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:34 PM
6 moms liked this
Op, your title, "Republican senator says he doesn't 'give a rat's a**' what black people think" is factually inaccurate.
He specifically said the Black Caucus (State Legislators). And was referring being asked about their email/quotes. NOT all black people.
Op, if you are cool being a liar, carry on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcrew6
by Jenney on Aug. 24, 2012 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this
He doesn't care what specific caucus thinks? Why is this news? Because it is the Black Caucus?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Quoting nanaofsix531:

I can't believe this sh** still goes on in the 21st century!When are these a**holes going to get with the updated program?I think they are still fighting the civil war.

In very poor taste for sure. 

What's that have to do with grade fixing?

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting nanaofsix531:

what black people think

the senator said he did not care what black people thought, specifically their representatives in the black caucus.

Summerville specifically wrote, "I don't give a rat's ass what the black caucus thinks."

Sorry, but no.

The representatives of a group are NOT the same as the group itself.

Someone could, for example, write "I don't give a rat's ass what the President thinks", while still caring greatly what the American people think.

This is bad and biased reporting.

matreshka
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Unfortunately I've seen this in my town too.  I even see th southern flag and I live in the NORTH!

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN