Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Medical marijuana is on the ballot here, and I have questions

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM
  • 41 Replies

I am going to be voting for it.  As someone with a chronic illness I know how it helps and it better than taking many of the pharmaceuticals out there and its certainly not addictive like opiate pain killers.

My questions are for people in states where medical marijuana is legal.  Is it effectively regulated? Is it taxed? Are there instances of people without medical marijuana cards getting mj from a dispensary?  have crime rates gone up directly related to marijuana dispensaries and usage?  Does anyone have any first hand experience using a dispesary?

I am being so nosy because I want to encourage voters I know to vote yes and I know these are some questions they may have.

by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I'm for legalization of medical marijuana but I don't have any answers for your questions.  Here's hoping someone can help.  I did read a report (and I don't remember where I saw it) that said in California with the legalization there had been more reports of accidents and they were trying to link it to driving while impaired with the marijuana.   Not sure how credible the source was though.

chazmom01
by Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I have a card in michigan . You can not get it here in dispensaries with out a card .i also have one on the corner of the street I live and have had np with them .No crime rate has not gone up because of them .

Momniscient
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM
I have zero issue with legalized marijuana but I don't live in a state with medical mj laws so I can't really help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Sorry I can't help you with the laws.I think it is different in every state that has legal medical mj.As far as crime going up it has not where I live.

momof31995
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Personally I am for straight legalization meaning it should be available for rec use too tax it and regulate it like tobacco and alcohol. It is no different than alcohol actually when a person is high they do not feel the need or have the ambition to drive unlike alcohol. Of course unless the twinkie supply is low. I believe the medical benefits far outweigh any argument actually against marijuana. It is not a drug for one you cannot overdose on it so no dosage regulations are needed. The list of conditions and diseases it helps or cures is endless. Also if it is legal crime rates would go down because you would not have illegal dealers out there but of course you would have the bootleggers like with moonshine but the would be the rarity instead of the norm. My state is actually trying to change the language of the law to exclude marijuana from the controlled substance lists which will decriminalize it if not legalize it. There are several websites you can visit to read more , NORML is a great source.

godotherightthi
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM

It was just legalized last year (I think?) in Arizona - a MJ provider not too far from our house was involved in a shooting.  So yes, I'd say crime goes up.

matreshka
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I too am for complete legalization, but I think its going to take baby steps to get there.  I agree with everything you said.  Alcohol is far more dangerous.

Quoting momof31995:

Personally I am for straight legalization meaning it should be available for rec use too tax it and regulate it like tobacco and alcohol. It is no different than alcohol actually when a person is high they do not feel the need or have the ambition to drive unlike alcohol. Of course unless the twinkie supply is low. I believe the medical benefits far outweigh any argument actually against marijuana. It is not a drug for one you cannot overdose on it so no dosage regulations are needed. The list of conditions and diseases it helps or cures is endless. Also if it is legal crime rates would go down because you would not have illegal dealers out there but of course you would have the bootleggers like with moonshine but the would be the rarity instead of the norm. My state is actually trying to change the language of the law to exclude marijuana from the controlled substance lists which will decriminalize it if not legalize it. There are several websites you can visit to read more , NORML is a great source.

NWP
by Guerilla Girl on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I just noticed that it goes on the ballot in Arkansas this November.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this
1 shooting happened so the crime rate went up?

HaHaHa!!!

Quoting godotherightthi:

It was just legalized last year (I think?) in Arizona - a MJ provider not too far from our house was involved in a shooting.  So yes, I'd say crime goes up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Aug. 25, 2012 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know the answers to your questions but I am for Complete Legalization not just Medical...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)