Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

OT: MSU STUDENT’S MOUTH STAPLED SHUT DURING HORRIFIC ANTI-SEMITIC HATE CRIME

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM
  • 13 Replies

SHOCKING REPORT: MSU STUDENT’S MOUTH STAPLED SHUT DURING HORRIFIC ANTI-SEMITIC HATE CRIME

Zach Tennen Recounts Violent Hate Crime by Alleged KKK Members

Zach Tennen (Photo Credit: ClickOnDetroit.com)

Zachary Tennen, a 19-year-old Michigan State University student, was the victim of what police investigators are categorizing a hate-crime following an attack at an off-campus party. Tennen, a resident of suburban Detroit, is telling media that his attackers, who broke his jaw and reportedly stapled his mouth shut at the lips and gums, asked if he was Jewish before assaulting him.

Zachary Tennen, a 19-year-old sophomore in MSU’s journalism program, was attending a house party early Sunday morning when two men approached him and asked if he was Jewish. After responding in the affirmative, the two men allegedly performed a Nazi salute and recited “Heil Hitler” before beating the young man unconscious.

CBS Detroit reports that 20 people witnessed the attack as the two assailants proceeded to staple Tennen’s mouth shut and broke his jaw.

“They knocked me down really hard … and I assumed someone would help me,” Tennen said in a statement. “But after some guys at the house basically kicked me out, I had to get a cab.”

Tina Tennen, the student’s mother, told the Detroit Free Press her son took a taxi to Sparrow Hospital in East Lansing for initial treatment, but underwent surgery in metro Detroit Monday night to have his jaw wired shut.

“It’s an awful hate crime, and what he’s gone through emotionally and physically, it’s scary to put it into words,” she explained. “Hopefully the worst is behind us. It’s going to be hopefully not too rough.”

While Tennen did admit to consuming “a small amount of alcohol,” he remembers the events that unfolded and has recounted them to media outlets. His father has expressed frustration that hospital officials didn’t report the incident to police, especially after purportedly learning about the assault directly from the young victim.

“It almost seemed like they tried to kill me, and to think about that in my brain, physically — it isn’t very pleasant,” Tennen told campus newspaper The State News.

“I want everyone to know how severe this is. They could have killed me,” he added in an interview with ClickonDetroit.com. “I’m going to try my best to make sure they don’t get away with this.”

Now, the student’s family is seeking the help of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), a group that tackles anti-Semitism. In a press release today, the organization responded.

“We are horrified by this violent assault and allegations that the student may have been viciously attacked because he was Jewish,” ADL Detroit Regional Director Betsy Kellman said in a statement.  ”We hope the perpetrators will be swiftly brought to justice.”

Tennen is expected to return to MSU after a week of recovery.

by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I don't understand what makes people think it's okay to do stuff like that.

GardenerArtist
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:25 PM

wow, awful!

imamomzilla
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM

WOW! Prayers he makes a speedy recovery.

_Kissy_
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Truly disturbing.

Wonder how long it will be before a retraction is made and the truth prevails.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Sad.

autodidact
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:34 PM

While Tennen did admit to consuming “a small amount of alcohol,”

admit? he did nothing wrong, it was a party.

and this has what to do with anything? I don't care if he crashed the damn thing and singlehandedly emptied the keg without chipping in, it's got nothing to do with what was done to him.  

sarebear31976
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

how terrible!  That poor guy...

29again
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Quoting autodidact:

While Tennen did admit to consuming “a small amount of alcohol,”

admit? he did nothing wrong, it was a party.

and this has what to do with anything? I don't care if he crashed the damn thing and singlehandedly emptied the keg without chipping in, it's got nothing to do with what was done to him.  

He is 19.  But you are right, it has nothing to do with the horrific things that were done to him.

29again
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Quoting _Kissy_:

Truly disturbing.

Wonder how it would be possible to staple one's owns lips together.... 

No, I'm not waiting with bated breath for a retraction.

_Kissy_
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Oh I don't either. There was a girl in high school who stapled all around her ears. Quite creepy.
But with the accusations people throw out and then come back and say its self inflicted seems to be a new norm.
Kinda like crying wolf.

Quoting 29again:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Truly disturbing.

Wonder how it would be possible to staple one's owns lips together.... 

No, I'm not waiting with bated breath for a retraction.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)