Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What the Economic Crisis Really Means - and what we can do about it

Posted by   + Show Post

Are you aware of this? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

How have you made changes to your life to prepare for this?

I have been growing some of my own food for the past two years. I am still learning and right now it is a lot of hard work and is not very efficient. But we have to reclaim the land from the weeds before we can become completely organic like I want.

Still, self sustaining is not easy and when I hear people say they want to be self sustaining, I don't think they really know what that means. It affects EVERYONE, not just the lower classes. In the end, I feel like it will be those who have prepared for the major change and are ready for it that will help save those who are hiding from it or refuse to acknowledge it.

I also feel that this major collapse will mean a steep decline in the human population. Like a modern Dark Ages as our population drops to a more sustainable level. Then we can finally start rebuilding our societies. We will become a more evolved global civilization.

This is not a bad thing. It's a necessary step for our evolution. We will rather change or we will all die. I don't think we have much of a choice but to evolve.

by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM

How is that evolving?  I would consider that to be more like de-volving, or maybe re-volving, but never evolving.

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

They won't let on because that is what helped cause the Great Depression. People panicked and withdrew their money from all the banks, which caused them to collapse.

Because we have already lived through a depression, our government has set up insurance programs and other systems to help keep the crisis from happening again. Those are probably the only thing that has kept us from experiencing the "soup lines" and the housing issues we had during the Depression. But if this type of GLOBAL collapse is looming in our future, no amount of government involvement is going to help us. We are going to starve and get sick. We will have to figure out how to live in a world that is no longer modern. At least until this energy collapse forces us to use alternative energy sources. These might be small, local improvements well before they are available across the country.  Alternative energy is fine, but at this point it is inefficient, unaffordable, etc etc.  You cannot force the sun to shine or the wind to blow.  We will be using evil fossil fuels for a long long time.

I am so convinced that our economy will collapse that I hesitate to pay back my student loan debt. I feel like I'm throwing money away to an industry that will not exist before I have paid it all back. . .

I hope you do pay it back.  The last thing we need right now is a bunch of post-grads defaulting simply because they feel the world as we know it is about to come to an end.  Someday.  Probably soon, but well, ya know, it's gonna end sooner or later, so why should I worry about my debts?  That is just selfish, imo.  Much like those who walked away from their mortgages simply because the value of the house decreased, and their house was not worth (on paper) what they paid for it.  So they walked away and defaulted, even though they could afford the payment, they felt their investment was worthless, so their signature on a contract was nothing to worry about.

I don't feel like any form of government we have available to us today knows how to solve this issue. I don't think Capitalism as we know it will be desired or even plausible (as stated in the video). We will have to find a new form of economy for our global community. One that does not focus on interest and virtual money.

Capitalism is the only thing that works for all involved.  It will be here and it will last for a long time!  We do NOT need a new form of economy!

Water is going to be a huge issue for everyone without a well. I would suggest investing in some rain barrels to catch fresh water. For now you could use it to water your garden, but you never know when you might need it to hydrate your body.

Quoting Jambo4:

I do think things are worse than what bankers and financial people let on.  They can't be honest or everyone would panic and we'd have financial collapse.  (for some reason I always think of "It's a Wonderful Life".. lol

For me, I try to have a food reserve.  Unfortunately it's not where I want it to be because I have had to dip into it because of the bad economy.  I have a garden but I am at the mercy of the town for the water to keep that garden alive so that's not a stable resource.  I try to have longer term resources stored because it is vital.  All a person needs to do is go through a small crisis like a loss of power for a couple days to see how fragile life as we know it can be disrupted.

I think most people are trying to get by day to day... go to work, come home, eat, go to work, cash your check, get what you need and hope that nothing gets disrupted.

Hope is not a good way to go through life.  Preparation makes more sense.

29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this

The video reminded me quite a bit of "The Story of Stuff" which was nothing more than propaganda.  I am not saying this is, but I can't say that I agree with it all that much.  I do in parts, to degrees, but there is an undertone that I can't ignore which tells me there is an ulterior motive to this one.  I don't think it is quite what it seems. 

Overall, yes our money system is completely flawed, we need to go back to the gold standard.  Yes, it would help tremendously if more people grew their own food, or at least part of it.  We should make what we need, and use it as long as we can, rather than buy a new disposable one every so often.  We do need to relearn old forgotten skills and trades,   My opinion is that if/when this collapse happens, globalisation will take a back seat.  And I will not be upset by that. 

I have had a garden most of the 16 years that I have had my house.  (There were a couple of years in there when I could not have a garden.)  I had an issue with GMO's and Monsanto long before I was concerned about being as self-reliant as I could be. 

duets
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM

I think being self sustaining is a good thing. I also think it is good to teach children as well.  Allow them to help in the garden etc. I also think it wise to keep spare food, batteries etc on hand.  It takes time to grow garden plants to eat, & one should have an extra food reserve ready to go for ...just in case. I keep extra seeds that I find @ close out sales in stock. Enough to plant a good size veggie garden. 

Sadly, if I was 'self sustaining' on this year's garden alone,...... my family would have had 1 or two meals, lol.  For real, I had like over 100 plants & about 14 mater plants, all have now died, only pepper & eggplants have survived.   

*due to the drought & triple digit heat

plant a tree     gardening

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Quoting 29again:

we need to go back to the gold standard

You can't.   There isn't enough gold.

Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Quoting 29again:

How is that evolving?  I would consider that to be more like de-volving, or maybe re-volving, but never evolving.

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

They won't let on because that is what helped cause the Great Depression. People panicked and withdrew their money from all the banks, which caused them to collapse.

Because we have already lived through a depression, our government has set up insurance programs and other systems to help keep the crisis from happening again. Those are probably the only thing that has kept us from experiencing the "soup lines" and the housing issues we had during the Depression. But if this type of GLOBAL collapse is looming in our future, no amount of government involvement is going to help us. We are going to starve and get sick. We will have to figure out how to live in a world that is no longer modern. At least until this energy collapse forces us to use alternative energy sources. These might be small, local improvements well before they are available across the country.  Alternative energy is fine, but at this point it is inefficient, unaffordable, etc etc.  You cannot force the sun to shine or the wind to blow.  We will be using evil fossil fuels for a long long time.

How is it less efficient and affordable than fossil fuels at this point?

I am so convinced that our economy will collapse that I hesitate to pay back my student loan debt. I feel like I'm throwing money away to an industry that will not exist before I have paid it all back. . .

I hope you do pay it back.  The last thing we need right now is a bunch of post-grads defaulting simply because they feel the world as we know it is about to come to an end.  Someday.  Probably soon, but well, ya know, it's gonna end sooner or later, so why should I worry about my debts?  That is just selfish, imo.  Much like those who walked away from their mortgages simply because the value of the house decreased, and their house was not worth (on paper) what they paid for it.  So they walked away and defaulted, even though they could afford the payment, they felt their investment was worthless, so their signature on a contract was nothing to worry about.

Shrug. I would be able to use those funds to help buy foods and items I could use when the collapse happens. I don't see using my funds in a way that will ensure the safety and health of my family in the future as selfish.

I will continue to pay them until it is obvious the collapse will be happening VERY soon. I think we might get to float awhile on deflation but when we're looking over that ledge. . . Well, I'm not throwing money over it.

I don't feel like any form of government we have available to us today knows how to solve this issue. I don't think Capitalism as we know it will be desired or even plausible (as stated in the video). We will have to find a new form of economy for our global community. One that does not focus on interest and virtual money.

Capitalism is the only thing that works for all involved.  It will be here and it will last for a long time!  We do NOT need a new form of economy!

I disagree. It has failed us thus far.

Water is going to be a huge issue for everyone without a well. I would suggest investing in some rain barrels to catch fresh water. For now you could use it to water your garden, but you never know when you might need it to hydrate your body.

Quoting Jambo4:

I do think things are worse than what bankers and financial people let on.  They can't be honest or everyone would panic and we'd have financial collapse.  (for some reason I always think of "It's a Wonderful Life".. lol

For me, I try to have a food reserve.  Unfortunately it's not where I want it to be because I have had to dip into it because of the bad economy.  I have a garden but I am at the mercy of the town for the water to keep that garden alive so that's not a stable resource.  I try to have longer term resources stored because it is vital.  All a person needs to do is go through a small crisis like a loss of power for a couple days to see how fragile life as we know it can be disrupted.

I think most people are trying to get by day to day... go to work, come home, eat, go to work, cash your check, get what you need and hope that nothing gets disrupted.

Hope is not a good way to go through life.  Preparation makes more sense.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm from a small town and most of the people in our area are very good at being self sustaining.  We garden, hunt, and still have that sense of treating the whole community like family.  We all help each other, share our garden harvests, share excess meat from hunts, we still freeze and can our harvests.  It would not be easy to be totally self sustaining but I think small communities like ours have a jump start on it.  

29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting 29again:

we need to go back to the gold standard

You can't.   There isn't enough gold.

I'm talking about the US, not the world.  I live here in the States, I am affected a bit more than you are by how the dollar is losing value. 

29again
by Gold Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I have yet to see an affordable alternative source of energy.  Nearly all of the solar and wind energy companies have gone bankrupt, and the ones that haven't are overseas.  People do not want wind turbines in their backyards, wind is very dangerous for the birds, but no one talks about THAT, do they?  It is always about how bad coal and petroleum are.  Well, that is what we have, that is how our machines are programmed to work, and that is what is affordable.  Now, I do agree that we would be wise to look at alternatives, but right now, at this point in time, we just cannot go wholly to solar and wind power.  As for the cars that run on electricity, how do you think those batteries get charged???  It is not through the power of one's mind!  You might save on gas at the pump, but you use more electricity for them, so I don't see a net savings. 

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying about your loan.  I thought you were not paying it NOW.  That is a hard decision, not one to take lightly.  Good luck!! 

Capitalism works.  CRONY capitalism does not.  There is a difference there.  We have had CC for way too long now. 

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

Quoting 29again:

Quoting Celtic_Dragon:

How is it less efficient and affordable than fossil fuels at this point?

Shrug. I would be able to use those funds to help buy foods and items I could use when the collapse happens. I don't see using my funds in a way that will ensure the safety and health of my family in the future as selfish.

I will continue to pay them until it is obvious the collapse will be happening VERY soon. I think we might get to float awhile on deflation but when we're looking over that ledge. . . Well, I'm not throwing money over it.

I disagree. It has failed us thus far.

Quoting Jambo4:
Celtic_Dragon
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I think some of the problem with energy is that it is monopolized and is not local enough. In the southwestern half of my state, the wind industry is booming. There has been wind turbines there since I have lived in this state but there has been a lot more set up in the last two years. When I went through there last month, there were some being constructed. I see that as employment in an area that is an agricultural community where jobs like these are rare but very valuable.

There was once a time when fossil fuels were not efficient or cost effective. We used steam till the 1940s. It then became convenient and cheap. You do not agree that fossil fuels are no longer convenient and cheap?

In my state, we have the Mississippi and therefore a lot of hydro energy here. And also nuclear, which is scary because the plants are old and I have a serious distrust in Excel Energy and their ability to keep the plant up to modern safety standards.

My husband and I have already talked about building our own wind turbine and having solar power when we build our home. A lot of people in our community have these energy resources. It is a very popular and profitable here.

I did know about the bird thing. I see it as this is a somewhat new technology that is only now catching on. We have to made adjustments to everything we do to make things are earth friendly as possible. I feel that a flock of birds is less important than an entire ocean. The birds are still important but the wind is still more green than the risks that are associated with fossil fuel mining and consumption.

I would not be opposed to trying a different form of economics. There are better options out there. Things that will work in our global market.

Quoting 29again:

I have yet to see an affordable alternative source of energy.  Nearly all of the solar and wind energy companies have gone bankrupt, and the ones that haven't are overseas.  People do not want wind turbines in their backyards, wind is very dangerous for the birds, but no one talks about THAT, do they?  It is always about how bad coal and petroleum are.  Well, that is what we have, that is how our machines are programmed to work, and that is what is affordable.  Now, I do agree that we would be wise to look at alternatives, but right now, at this point in time, we just cannot go wholly to solar and wind power.  As for the cars that run on electricity, how do you think those batteries get charged???  It is not through the power of one's mind!  You might save on gas at the pump, but you use more electricity for them, so I don't see a net savings. 

I guess I misunderstood what you were saying about your loan.  I thought you were not paying it NOW.  That is a hard decision, not one to take lightly.  Good luck!! 

Capitalism works.  CRONY capitalism does not.  There is a difference there.  We have had CC for way too long now. 

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 2:26 PM

If people started turning yards into gardens, raising a few chickens and rabbits for meat in the back yard and finding or starting food sharing groups we could all be better off.

I am starting to raise meat rabbits they produce more meat on less land then any other animal and their meat is leaner, higher in protien, and tastes great. 3 rabbits a buck and two does can produce around 200 lbs of meat in a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN