Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In Crisis Time, Dems Worked With Bush – But GOP Shunned Obama

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM
  • 10 Replies
Appearing on CNN during the opening night of the Democratic convention, retiring longtime Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) argued that his party was willing to help President Bush weather the 2008 economic crisis -- unlike Republicans, who he said refused to lift a finger to assist President Obama when he needed them.

"The problem there is that assumes even if he wasn't doing health care, the Republicans would have been less obstructive on jobs. I'm afraid that's not the case," said the congressman, when asked if President Obama squandered too much capital on health care reform.

"Unfortunately, from the very beginning -- look, look at the contrast. George Bush came to us on the Democratic side in late '08 and said, we're in a crisis, we need your help --and we gave it to him, very openly, very fully. Then Obama comes in to try to deal with the terrible situation he inherited from bush and the republican media went into full partisan attack. [Senate Republican Leader] Mitch McConnell announcing his number one goal was to defeat the president. I don't think in the end the timing, unfortunately, would have helped a great deal."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/barney-frank-in-crisis-time-dems-worked-with
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PamR
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Because the republicans are less interested in what is good for the country and more interested in what is good for themselves.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It takes two to work together.  There has to be give and take from both sides to be able to make compromises and come up with solutions that will truly help America.  I don't think either side has been very willing to compromise and work together.  For example as an employer I have to be willing to bend and able to manipulate and lead if conflicts arise at my business.  It takes a strong leader to be able to get those things done.  That's why I feel Romney would be a much more effective leader.  He's already proven in Mass. that he can accomplish things with a democratic majority. 

mommom2000
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

One side has done all the compromising.  It's hard to compromise with a party that's number one goal is to stop the president from a second term.  The republicans admitted that they weren't going to help the president get anything done.  The problem is while hurting the President they have been hurting America.  Anything that was able to get done is because the democrats and President compromised.  Liberals think the President compromised to much from keeping the tax cuts to health care.  You never hear a republican complain that their party has compromised to much.

Quoting 4kidz916:

It takes two to work together.  There has to be give and take from both sides to be able to make compromises and come up with solutions that will truly help America.  I don't think either side has been very willing to compromise and work together.  For example as an employer I have to be willing to bend and able to manipulate and lead if conflicts arise at my business.  It takes a strong leader to be able to get those things done.  That's why I feel Romney would be a much more effective leader.  He's already proven in Mass. that he can accomplish things with a democratic majority. 

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting mommom2000:

One side did all the compromising? Do tell me which side, because for the first 2 years it was dem majority in both the house and senate and the presidency. Who do they compromise with? Oh yeah, each other. They shut the repubs out at every turn. SMH

And when the repubs took the house in the mid-term elections, did the senate compromise and work with them? Hmmmm, is that why almost every bill the house has passed Reid voted on? Oh wait, that didn't happen either. Has Reid let any of them be voted on?

I just love how dems/liberals define compromise. When the repubs, in the minority without enough votes to stop anything vote with them it's compromise. When the dems refuse to work with the repubs, it's the repubs fault. *eyeroll*
Sent from my iPad.
chusui0702
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM
bump

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

b/c bush spent a lot tax payer money....

itsmesteph11
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this

You are taking the word of lying Barney.  This post is nothing more than a lie to try and make Republicans look bad.    I guess it means nothing to you that The leaders of the GOP say that their ideas were shunned by the Dems and Obama.   It means nothing to you that the Republicans have passed 30+ bills that would help grow jobs and cut debt and Harry reid won't even bring them up for consideration. 

You are open to nothing other than the liberal version.  LOL  Just like the Dems.      The Democrats wanted no help from the Republicans, they wanted them to give them what they wanted and nothing more. That isn't the American way.  That isn't bipartisanship.  Nothing is getting done because the Democrats are doing nothing.

itsmesteph11
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Actually the GOP NEVER said they wouldn't help the President get anything done. You are imagining things. LOL   McConnell said number 1 was to get Obama out of office (which is the best thing for America) but that has not stopped the Republicaans from doing their job.  The Republicans have tried to help and they have passed bills that the Dems won't even look at.  The way Gov works is the House passes a bill and the Dems look at it and offer changes (that is called compromise) They then work together to has out a final compromise bill to pass and send to the President.   Democrats are not doing their job.

Quoting mommom2000:

One side has done all the compromising.  It's hard to compromise with a party that's number one goal is to stop the president from a second term.  The republicans admitted that they weren't going to help the president get anything done.  The problem is while hurting the President they have been hurting America.  Anything that was able to get done is because the democrats and President compromised.  Liberals think the President compromised to much from keeping the tax cuts to health care.  You never hear a republican complain that their party has compromised to much.

Quoting 4kidz916:

tpickle
by Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Republicans lie, thats that.

billsfan1104
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Bwhahhhhahha this is the funniest shit. Coming from a man that had a prostitution ring in his own home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)