Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

GRAPHIC PHOTOS ALLEGEDLY SHOW ‘ATTEMPTS TO RESCUE' U.S. AMBASSADOR (CONTENT WARNING)

Posted by   + Show Post

RAPHIC PHOTOS ALLEGEDLY SHOW ‘ATTEMPTS TO RESCUE' U.S. AMBASSADOR (CONTENT WARNING)

A graphic photo has surfaced online allegedly showing the "attempts to rescue" U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens in the final moments of his life after a mob attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

The image, posted on Arabic news channel AKNN News' Facebook page, shows a man identified as the ambassador severely wounded with blood on his face. It appears he's being carried away by two men in the midst of a crowd.

The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) in Washington, D.C. translated the Arabic caption on the photo for TheBlaze as: "Attempts to rescue U.S. ambassador to Libya after a raid targeted his country's consulate in Benghazi in condemnation of a movie depicting the Prophet Muhammad."

Both President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made reference to Libyans carrying Stevens to the hospital after the attack.

Images below (content warning - graphic):

Ambassador Chris Stevens Libya attack

Image source: Facebook

Getty Images published a similar photo, without identifying the man as Stevens:

Ambassador Chris Stevens Libya attack

Getty Images

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Good grief.  I have already stated that every source I look at does not say that Libyan soldiers were involved.  Why can't just one of you supply a source?  If you are seeing it then please post it.  Such a simple request. 

Quoting gsprofval:

It's already all over the news. There are many sources if you bother to look.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I haven't seen any mention of Libyan soldiers either.  What I have seen are reports that there were well-armed men seen, but they weren't identified as soldiers nor rioters. 

So if anyone has a good link to share, please do.

That was much earlier today.  Now it appears a "pro-Al Queda" group is being suspected?

Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Thank you!  I keep reading articles from different sources and not finding anything about soldiers just militants and armed men.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I haven't seen any mention of Libyan soldiers either.  What I have seen are reports that there were well-armed men seen, but they weren't identified as soldiers nor rioters. 

So if anyone has a good link to share, please do.

That was much earlier today.  Now it appears a "pro-Al Queda" group is being suspected?

PamR
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I haven't seen a mention in the news of Libyan soldiers being involved.  I did see a report that said that LIbyans were involved in trying to get the victims to the hospital.  Sec. Clinton said this (while I know that some will refuse to accept anything she says, this account is backed up by others who were there): 

"This was an attack by a small and savage group, not the people or government of Libya. Everywhere Chris and his team went in Libya, in a country scarred by war and tyranny, they were hailed as friends and partners. And when the attack came yesterday, Libyans stood and fought to defend our post. Some were wounded. Libyans carried Chris' body to the hospital, and they helped rescue and lead other Americans to safety."

gsprofval
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I keep trying to post a story, but it's too long and won't let me.

It has pictures of the embassy after they were killed, and a small group could not have done that much damage.

It also says that rockets were used and I don't think a small group of people would have a car rocket.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Libyan soldiers were not involved.

He wasn't in a safe house...
From FOX News:

Stevens was killed Tuesday night when he and a group of embassy employees went to the consulate to try to evacuate staff. The protesters, purportedly angry over a film that ridiculed Islam's Prophet Muhammad, were firing gunshots and rocket-propelled grenades. 

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/12/us-ambassador-to-libya-and-3-embassy-staff-members-reportedly-killed-in-libya/#ixzz26HeMSqZl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM

All I am looking for is a link that proves Peepers claim that Libyan soldiers were involved in the attack.

Quoting gsprofval:

It has pictures of the embassy after they were killed, and a small group could not have done that much damage.

It also says that rockets were used and I don't think a small group of people would have a car rocket.

PamR
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM

How about a link?
Quote:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM
The rebellious groups over there are well funded and well equipped by Al-Qaeda.

You'd be surprised what kinds of weapons they can get their hands on...

Quoting gsprofval:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM
And from CNN....

In Libya, witnesses say members of a radical Islamist group called Ansar al-Sharia protested near the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, where NATO jets established no-fly zones last year to halt ground attacks from then-Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi.

The group then clashed with security forces in the city, blocking roads leading to the consulate, witnesses said.

Four Americans and Two Libyan Security Officers were killed. The number of injured is currently at 16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)