Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Professor caught attempting to coerce students to sign pledge for Obama vote

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM
  • 21 Replies
8862 2069Google +125 366

By Oliver Darcy, on Sep 17, 2012

A college professor has been placed on leave after she allegedly forced her class to sign a pledge to vote for President Obama in the upcoming elections.

Early last week Professor Sharon Sweet at Brevard Community College (BCC) allegedly told students to sign a pledge that reads: “I pledge to vote for President Obama and Democrats up and down the ticket.”

A college professor has been placed on leave after she allegedly forced her class to sign a pledge to vote for President Obama in the 2012 elections.

The pledge was printed off of GottaVote.org, a website funded by the Obama campaign.

University administrators said they learned about the incident late Thursday afternoon and launched an investigation, after they received a phone call from a concerned parent.

“Based on the allegations, Associate Professor Sweet has requested, and been granted, a leave of absence without pay effective immediately,” reads a statement put out by John Glisch, Associate Vice President for Communications at BCC.

“The college will continue its investigation into the matter, which will include interviews with all students in her class,” continues the statement.

Sweet’s actions may have also violated Florida’s election laws.

Section 104.31, of Title IX in chapter 104, states that “no officer or employee of the state... shall... use his or her official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering with an election or nomination of officer or influencing another person’s vote or affecting the result thereof.”

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4364

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:47 AM
3 moms liked this

First of all, does anyone find it slightly sad that a "concerned parent" contacted the college?

I don't recall my parents ever contacting my college regarding any of my coursework. They had gotten beyond the point of going through my backpack for notes from the teacher about ten years prior.

Anywho, dumb move on the professor's part.

_Kissy_
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Its a pledge to vote. Not to vote for Obama.

Grassroots needs to get someone with a brain. Oh never mind lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsmesteph11
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

She should be placed in jail.

shimamab
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM
This was a stupid move on her part, no doubt. But how does one "force" another adult to sign a pledge. And it's a non-binding pledge anyways. And the concerned parent thing cracks me up. They aren't in kindergarten ;).

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

First of all, does anyone find it slightly sad that a "concerned parent" contacted the college?

I don't recall my parents ever contacting my college regarding any of my coursework. They had gotten beyond the point of going through my backpack for notes from the teacher about ten years prior.

Anywho, dumb move on the professor's part.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_Kissy_
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Charles Richardson · Cashier at Harbor Freight Tools (Melbourne, FL) I have College Algebra with her. She asked us to fill them out the Thursday after our Tuesday test. She asked us to fill them out and write Republican, Democrat, or Independent on the form. She wouldn't tell us why but only 5 out of about 30 people filled them out and handed them in. A pledge to vote doesn't mean you actually have to vote for that candidate but she had no right to hand them out in the first place. I just wanted to start the lesson and get out of class on time. Reply · 7 · Like · Follow Post · 10 hours ago
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting itsmesteph11:

Shouldn't you wait to find out if the allegation is actually true, first?

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Quoting _Kissy_:

Charles Richardson · Cashier at Harbor Freight Tools (Melbourne, FL) I have College Algebra with her. She asked us to fill them out the Thursday after our Tuesday test. She asked us to fill them out and write Republican, Democrat, or Independent on the form. She wouldn't tell us why but only 5 out of about 30 people filled them out and handed them in. A pledge to vote doesn't mean you actually have to vote for that candidate but she had no right to hand them out in the first place. I just wanted to start the lesson and get out of class on time. Reply · 7 · Like · Follow Post · 10 hours ago

I wonder if the folks who filled it out correctly, according to the teacher's standards, would have been given extra credit.

cbk_mom3
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Is anyone really surprised at all? He and his minions are all running scared. They KNOW his days are numbered, and at this point, they will do whatever it takes, INCLUDING coercing voters to garner ONE MORE VOTE for him, like it's gonna make a difference. Nothing that man or his minions do at this point will surprise me in any way. 

erika9009
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM
3 moms liked this

She is in a position of authority in that class.  If a student does not sign, she'll remember and maybe not give that "A" when it's a borderline call.

So, she is abusing her authority. 

Quoting _Kissy_:

Its a pledge to vote. Not to vote for Obama.

Grassroots needs to get someone with a brain. Oh never mind lol

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

Kate_Momof3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Are you serious???

Quoting itsmesteph11:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)